Samsung forum

Resolved Question

Why am I getting a 720p resolution when using bluray player?

by AJNoyz / November 26, 2012 1:36 AM PST

I have a Samsung 46" 5300 series Smart LED TV and a Sony BPS185 bluray player.

I'm just wondering that since both my tv and player are full 1080p HD, I'm still receiving a 720p resolution according to my tv INFO. When I'm watching cable, I have a full 1080p and the INFO says 1920x1080.

Does it have something to do with the HDMI cables that I used? I did try to interchange both cables and got same result. I used the HDMI port 2 for my cable and the HDMI port 3 for my blu ray player.

I would appreciate all your insights regarding this.

AJNoyz has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer »
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Why am I getting a 720p resolution when using bluray player?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Why am I getting a 720p resolution when using bluray player?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer as chosen by AJNoyz

Collapse -
Is this a BDP-S185/BX18
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 27, 2012 1:47 AM PST

I see this player is a little odd in that it can supply ANALOG Video and audio but let's say you connect with HDMI.

Sure enough I see in it's settings in the manual you can get other than 1080 output.

I can't tell you exactly how to set it up but what I see and what you are reporting looks possible.

"Select [Original Resolution] to output the resolution recorded on the disc."

I'd try Auto.
Bob

PS. Manual might be at link to follow.
http://www.docs.sony.com/release/BDPS185_BX18.pdf

Collapse -
Problem solved!
by AJNoyz / December 5, 2012 4:54 AM PST

Hey Bob, thanks for your input. I've found the culprit and it's a shame that I didn't even try to look at the options in my blu-ray settings. I forgot to set it on 1080p and that's why. Anyway, I really appreciate you putting in some answers.

Collapse -
Thanks for the update.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 5, 2012 5:23 AM PST
In reply to: Problem solved!

It's very nice of you to tell this since others often wonder how to solve such things.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Re: Why am I getting a 720p resolution when using bluray pla
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / November 27, 2012 1:36 AM PST

Hi AJNoyz,

The TV will only display whatever it receives, whether that be 480i or 720p or 1080p. So the issue is with the source. I'd check your manual for the Blu-ray player to see what settings are available for it.

HD Tech

Collapse -
Problem solved!
by AJNoyz / December 5, 2012 4:49 AM PST

I already have found the solution and that I forgot to set my blu-ray player into 1080p. I guess that's on me. Anyway, I do appreciate your input on this one. Thanks!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

CNET Forums

Looking for tech help?

Whether you’re looking for dependable tech advice or offering helpful tricks, join the conversation in our forums.