Metro PCS
Sprint/Nextel
T-Mobile
Verizon
Other (which one?)
I don't have a cell phone (why not?)

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Who provides your cell phone service?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Who provides your cell phone service?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Verizon
by glenfotre / February 21, 2006 10:24 AM PST

They are SUPER!

Collapse -
They are the worst of the worse!!!!!!
by WildBill3 / February 21, 2006 10:47 AM PST
In reply to: Verizon

Verizon? You have got to be kidding. This is the worst provider I've ever had.

Collapse -
Ever Try Alltel
by neo4662 / February 21, 2006 11:01 PM PST

Alltel is a company that most consumers over look however we have the largest tower network in the business. But because we focus on rural area's we don't have the publicity that Verizon and Cingular have even though coverage on our network is much much better.

if you have questions e-mail me at david.harris.jr@alltel.com

Collapse -
I love Alltel
by janet in nc / February 21, 2006 11:17 PM PST
In reply to: Ever Try Alltel

I travel and work in rural NC and my Alltel works everywhere. I had Sprint before Alltel and it worked nowhere,not even at my home in Raleigh. I have no billing problems with Alltel and can only remember 2 or 3 dropped calls in several years. I'm a fan, and no, I don't work for Alltel, I work in public health.

Collapse -
What about urban/suburban coverage?
by jme999 / February 22, 2006 12:20 AM PST
In reply to: I love Alltel

How is the coverage in the urban/suburban areas in cities like DC, NYC, Boston? Is Alltel focused on covering ignored markets; or, are they a full coverage service provider?

I have used Nextel (Horrible) and Cingular (AT&T). I won't even discuss Nextel; other than to say the phone service is ameteur status (two way users will beg to differ).

I went with AT&T to get a high quality cell phone provider with national coverage and plans that included family options to add phones. I liked the coverage in the DC market. A lot of people here swear by Verizon because of the tunnel coverage in the Metro and the generally strong coverage everywhere. I don't use the Metro so I found the plan options were more attractive. I thought it was unfortunate when the merger took place w/Cingular because their customer service had a poor reputation. Now that I have to deal w/Cingular's CS, I see 1st hand what the complaints have been all about. They have miles to go before they get it. Forcing customers to change phones that don't need to be changed, billing errors. Stores that have the most unprofessional CSR's you've ever seen; are just the tip of the iceberg.

I'm looking for a complete service provider and wanted to know if Alltel was an option.

Collapse -
Ditto for Cingular poor customer service
by Geno / February 22, 2006 5:07 AM PST

My corporate plan provided discount for AT&T and I was pretty happy with them though not perfect. Now Cingular bills my son's phone for data he does not use, ever and I had to start paying for a data plan because it was cheaper than the bogus overages. My next letter is to the FCC. I have 4 phones with Cingualar now and their CS is totally unacceptable. I will be switching.

Collapse -
Alltel owns Nextel
by badday9 / August 4, 2006 6:39 AM PDT

You won't do any better going to Alltel.

Collapse -
Cell Phone Provider
by angelpenny / February 10, 2007 12:43 PM PST
In reply to: Alltel owns Nextel

Alltel does not own Nextel. Sprint owns it.

Collapse -
Alltel
by bennowens / October 30, 2007 11:13 AM PDT

I have used them for years. I travel the US and have never had a problem with reception or dropped calls, even in Boston, Seattle, Miami, etc. I check the other offers occasionally via co workers and find no reason to change.

Collapse -
Another Alltell Fan
by rayola17 / February 22, 2006 12:22 AM PST

I have been with Alltell for two years. I started out with Verizon but had a lot of voice breakup when making calls from my home. I switched to Alltell and have never had a problem. I have never had any billing problems and their customer service is A+, I also like the fact that I can handle billing, etc through the store where I signed up. Alltell calling plans are also very appealing. I have had great success with nationwide coverage.

Collapse -
Alltel
by manoncm / February 22, 2006 1:09 AM PST

I've been with Alltel since 1999 and never had any problems with them. I travel a lot and am able to use it all the way to the border of Mexico, and when the ship leaves Miami/Ft Lauderdale, I still can talk to my family 3000 miles away.

Manon

Collapse -
Alltel's coverage is great, but not so their web site!
by geeky*gal / February 22, 2006 10:23 AM PST

I live in rural NC (but travel to and work in more urban areas), and I am very satisfied with Alltel's coverage. I get good signals even in the bowels of our lab at work, where no one else seems to with other carriers. However, I have no end of problems with their web site. I haven't been able to login for weeks with my previous userid and password, and I recently got a new account and cell # so tried to register with this account/number and get a cryptic software error. I also spent 20 minutes on the phone with an Alltel rep trying to get my long distance account (also Alltel) combined with my cell account on the same bill. He assured me he had gotten it all straightened out, but today I got my cell bill, and, you guessed it, no long distance bill there, so I have to call again. Still, the signals are good, so I'll stick with Alltel. Just wish they could get some of their technical kinks worked out with accounts and their website. It shouldn't be so hard to do these things in this day and age.

Collapse -
Alltel has been great!
by greengrocer10 / February 22, 2006 11:13 PM PST

I've been an Alltel subscriber for over 3 years, coming from ATT(CellularOne) where I had spotty service for about 4 years. I changed because Alltel offered a National Plan which allowed me to use my phone when visiting my sister in Atlanta. ATT did not offer a similar plan. I have never had any problem with dropped calls in my 3 years with Alltel, and my service has been great, even in the mountains of North Georgia. Other people in my office have stayed with ATT/Cingular, and have many problems with their service.

Collapse -
From Alltel to Verizon
by Trailhop / February 22, 2006 4:05 AM PST
In reply to: Ever Try Alltel

I switched from Alltel to Verizon because I couldn't get service in Detroit... a city I had to travel to sometimes for work. Now I've heard Alltel has more towers in that area and the service there is better.
As soon as my contract is up with Verizon, I'm switching back to Alltel. They were a much better service provider in other area's and the customer service is a million times better. I'm very tired of arguing with Verizon CS to try to get billing errors fixed. Bigger companies are not always better.

Collapse -
Nextel has poor coverage too
by badday9 / August 4, 2006 6:36 AM PDT
In reply to: From Alltel to Verizon

I have a 65 mile stretch that I can't get a signal.
They won't give up the $200 cancellation fee.I can't
recommend them to anyone.

Collapse -
Verizon in N.E = lousy
by taxol / February 22, 2006 3:15 AM PST

Living here in New England, Verizon is, how should I say, LOUSY !!!
No towers in Northern MA, Southwestern NH, or Southern VT.
PHONE IS ALWAYS SEARCHING FOR A TOWER.....killing battery.
Anything I can do?
H E L P ! ! ! !

Collapse -
?
by acores78 / February 22, 2006 6:11 AM PST

Verizon is with out a doubt the BEST! Nextel is the worst of the worse!

Collapse -
Verizon service ...
by DtvNOT / February 22, 2006 8:57 AM PST

We have had Verizon for the past year, after having Alltel for five years before that. We traveled all over the country in our RV with Alltel and had terrific service. And an added bonus was being able to pay the bills or make changes at any Walmart. Our service is excellent with Verizon ... minus (only) them charging us for services we did not use. They quickly took the charges off. Our service is excellent - except for one area which is know by everyone to cut you off in (no matter who your service provider). I'd guess we have been very lucky.

Collapse -
You are the worst!!
by charley3019 / February 24, 2006 12:18 PM PST

Alll I can think is that you work for one of the other lame service providers or you're thecnically challenged (studpid).

Collapse -
Verizon Cellphone
by totallyforgiven / March 3, 2006 6:55 AM PST

Verizon coverage area is great, but they do not have a tower close to were I work, if they did they could make a killing, because Verizon and Cellone are the main ones in this area and Cellone is lousy too. the only problem I have with verizon is the salesman that sold us the plan, he was very nice when we were switching, I went back to ask him a question and he was a jerk. plus 99% of the time you have to enter your password 2 times, the first time it tells you it is invalid, then you re-enter it the exact same way and it works.

Collapse -
I completely disagree...
by psiddle / August 5, 2006 4:25 AM PDT

Verizon has been my provider for several years and I couldn't be happier! I travel the entire country and have never had a problem with coverage.

Other providers I have used:

AT&T
SunCom
Nextel
Cingular
Sprint

Only SunCom rivaled the level of service Verizon provides!

However, all I ask my provider to do is provide excellent call service and customer service. I am not interested in messaging, downloading music or video.

Collapse -
I'm not sure Super is the right word.
by lynn_brown / February 21, 2006 11:00 PM PST

I'm a business traveler and did a comparison of Sprint's coverage vs. Verizon's. For the most part, they were dead even. I found one interesting point and that was, traveling through an airport, I was lose Verizon's signal but not Sprint's. But traveling in the rural areas Sprint couldn't touch Verizon. Now, I think Verizon has played the same old song & dance for to long. They haven't really offered anything new for the market. Their unlimited nights & weekend package is still the same. They do have the best nation wide coverage but for the average consumer is that truly a positive? Sprint permits free night beginning at 7pm. They seem to be more responsive to the market from a consumers point of view. Whereas Verizon is looking at it from a different angle. Sprint is always cheaper. I'm with Verizon because my company made the decision, that anyone near the east get's Verizon and anyone on the west side gets Sprint. From a business perspective Sprint's easier to deal with.

Collapse -
The Best
by ipulitore / February 21, 2006 11:31 PM PST

GOTTA AGREE VERIZON IS THE BEST!! I've had service with Nextel from day one, but after the merge or what ever, with Sprint, it seemed that the service just got bad in every way shape and form. Customer service (Sprint/Nextel) the worst. Ported over to Verizon in January 2006 and so far have had no problems,no dropped calls, great signals, very helpful and friendly customer service reps.

Collapse -
Verizon, Super?
by jz9810 / February 22, 2006 12:24 AM PST

I rate Verizon call network high. I've had other service, and this is the best. That said, they have a poor selection of equipment compared to Sprint, a terrible service and support staff compared to the old AT&T cellular, and programs requiring a tax accountant to figure out. I use Verizon for a great network, and hope I don't have to have much other contact with them.

Collapse -
Verizon, Super? . . .
by doda1117 / February 23, 2006 1:23 PM PST
In reply to: Verizon, Super?

Maybe once before 9/11 but since service has been deteriorating. I now experience an ever increasing number of dropped calls in locations that were never a problem before. Hopefully Verizon is working on this and it will improve or I'll have to go elsewhere for cell service. And you're right - their staff are some of the worst

Collapse -
Agreed...
by Barbecue / February 22, 2006 9:54 AM PST

I was with Nextel, but there customer service is so bad! I needed to jump thru hoops to get my phone upgraded. With Verizon it wasn't a problem, in fact I've been with them for only a year and they gave me all the discounts (it's normally after two years), when upgrading to the Razor. My wife was so happy!

Collapse -
Verizon is good
by kawkawaf / February 23, 2006 8:03 AM PST

From Tmobile to AT@T to cingulair and finally Verizon. So i have been there and experienced all of them. cost is more or less the same but its the coverage which has me hooked on to verizon. The field of work that i am in, i could not afford to be in 'no coverage area' and so far verizon is the only one which has the best coverage of the carriers mentioned above.

Collapse -
verizon opinion
by msabercr / February 24, 2006 11:03 AM PST

i would switch to verizon if it wheren't for the fact that verizon uses out dated technology and i go through so many phones i just could put up with going to the dealer every time just to put all my contacts and old phone # into the new phone simcards are the way to go. and cingular/tmobile is the way to go at least on the west coast

Collapse -
cellular one
by kirktheturk / February 21, 2006 10:43 AM PST

have tower on top my mountain, nothing like that red space cadet glow...? lol

Collapse -
(NT) Unsatified with cingular
by jacobssr2000 / February 21, 2006 10:48 AM PST
In reply to: cellular one

We dont have any towers nearby and they say we can get a signal, who are they kidding. We cant get a signal here where I am, have to go to closest town to get that, I have had 5 phones replaced, always haveing trouble with them. Next time, its gonna be a different phone company.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.