The CNET Lounge forum

Resolved Question

Who owns C Net? Who is its parent company and what is the st

by jimmurray1946 / January 6, 2012 5:53 AM PST

I read in a recent post tht C-Net is actually owned by a parent company that is PRO SOPA, Is anyone familiar with this claim?

jimmurray1946 has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Who owns C Net? Who is its parent company and what is the st
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Who owns C Net? Who is its parent company and what is the st
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by jimmurray1946

Collapse -
Link please.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 6, 2012 6:09 AM PST

It is pretty easy to figure out the parent company is CBS. I could not find where this (or for that matter FOX and other) companies publishes the "company stance" on any subject.

Collapse -
understand...partially, but....
by jimmurray1946 / January 6, 2012 12:10 PM PST
In reply to: Link please.

Ok, so if CBS owns C-Net then can c-net have its own opinion about the SOPA or will they be posting as a zombie for CBS? Its pretty clear where some sites stand (like after dawn) as they publish what they feel is right but can sites owned by a parent company have the same editorial freedoms?

Collapse -
Sorry but since when did companies have opinions?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 9, 2012 3:48 AM PST

And again, how about a link about this position or opinion from either company?

Collapse -
by jimmurray1946 / January 9, 2012 6:15 AM PST

Type in go to forums and in the little search window simply type in the letters SOPA. This should provide you with the current flap over the proposed legistration and also a link to the Companies that are in support of the legistration. AND it lists the opinions the companies subscribe to. There currently is/are boycots involving the supporting companies re: go-daddy andothers. Jim.

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 9, 2012 6:32 AM PST
In reply to: SOPA

I can't find your answer to my question. Is there a reason you didn't supply this? Could it be the company you asked about has not published an opinion?

Collapse -
by jimmurray1946 / January 10, 2012 1:46 AM PST
In reply to: Sorry.

Perhaps You can not find an answer to your question since it was a question that I asked initially that I am looking for an answer to. Maybe I should not have used the word "stance" in my initial question. Please feel free to substitute "opinion" or "view" or other words to indicate what the companies position on the SOPA is. Its simply my opinion that the less I deal with companies that seek to limit my free use of the internet the better off I and others will be. The SOPA seems to tell or otherwise (substitute word that pleases you) attempt to guide or direct or steer or whatever my free use of the internet. I pay a rather pricey fee to use the internet therefor I expect that I can use the internet as I see fit. If I choose to obtain services from a company that supports any legislation that limits my ability to do so then that is my choice. Look at what an effect the boycott on Go Daddy had. I am not suggesting that you should follow in my views, all I am doing is attempting to find out which companies are supporting the SOPA so I may (or may not) utilize their services at my own discretion. Freedom is a right, not an optional law that can be imposed by a vote from legislators that the general public is not given the right to vote upon. Granted it was our general vote that put the legislators in the position that they hold however in such far reaching law I feel that the public should have a definite say. Well, I will get off my soap box now and re-enter the real world, remember the CES is on now, gotta get current on my new toys.

Collapse -
by jimmurray1946 / January 10, 2012 1:53 AM PST
In reply to: Sorry.

follow this link and look to company listed as #54.
Thanks, Jim

Collapse -
Dead link. But try this one. Nice idea.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 10, 2012 2:53 AM PST
Collapse -
They can't
by Hategrin / October 8, 2012 3:49 PM PDT

A business is NOT A DEMOCRACY.

A business has an owner, a KING, a CZAR. It's a TOTALATARIAN system. At best (or worst) it has a council or a board of directors that make the decisions. It's PRIVATELY OWNED, that means if they don't like your t-shirt they can fire you for breaking the dress code.

Now of course they might have to shift their reasoning around to make it comply with labor laws, but if you keep writing stories that piss off investors then you're gonna get canned. I don't care if you're the dali llama of capitalism and labor laws in your country, they'll find some way to keep you from publishing media that damages their investors/products images.

Even if that means you get moved to a job sharpening pencils.

If you don't think so then you really should get some work experience. You don't vote on company policy, you don't get to decide if you want to endorse their products, you're told what to do and what to say; sometimes your contract even extends to after you've quit / gone off the clock.

Don't think so? Look at Sony's lawsuit against Jerry Lambert.

Collapse -
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / January 6, 2012 6:04 AM PST
Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Having Wi-Fi troubles?

From the garage to the basement, we blanketed every square inch of the CNET Smart Home with fast, reliable Wi-Fi.