Phones forum

General discussion

who is the best cell phone company.....?

by T the Man / April 30, 2004 8:30 AM PDT

who is the best cell phone provider based on todays technology? reception is the main feature that im talking about......?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: who is the best cell phone company.....?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: who is the best cell phone company.....?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:who is the best cell phone company.....?
by jwbass / May 1, 2004 8:10 AM PDT

that is a really hard question to answer, it all depends on your location...for me, cingular is absolute best, and the fact that i'm an agent doesn't change that, i've been a customer of theirs for about four years, but like i said, it all depends on your location.

Collapse -
Re:Re:who is the best cell phone company.....?
by Bobby Good Boy / May 2, 2004 3:07 AM PDT

Well, as you said, it depends on where you are in relation to the available tower. Cell phones are linear in operation. CDMA/TDMA/GSM, it's all the same game in transeivers, with subtle differences but the same basic scenario. I have been with Cellone/Cingular since '89 and sold their services as a sub-agent for 11 years. Mass/RI area this holds true. NY City/NJ = AT&T; NY Central& North = Cingular; VT/NH/ME = United Cellular. I have sold these services as well. So, That's my opinion anyway, I hope it's helpful. Bob

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:who is the best cell phone company.....?
by europa2010 / May 5, 2004 7:52 AM PDT

I myself been using Cingular for over 18 months ANd I have ever had any problem. ( + loved the fact that you call your friends for freee if they were on cingular too!!!) I have a few friends that have verizon and they seems pretty happy about their services too.

Collapse -
yea the phones makes a difference also
by romeohifi.com / November 22, 2005 3:40 PM PST

I agree Iam a wholesaler I have been a cingular customer for many years also, now they are coming with the push to talk and 3g. they have a lost of money so they will spend it and make the system better
Get nokia if you want best service, you can visit my site www.romeohifi.com to buy or for research you can go to www.cellulartraders.com

Collapse -
Re:who is the best cell phone company.....?
by sru / May 6, 2004 2:30 AM PDT

Go checkout http://www.wirelessreview.net , you can search on over 2300 feekback on cell phone receptions. The data are filter by zipcode, phonebrand and carriers.

Collapse -
NOT T-MOBILE
by nikshere / October 11, 2005 2:52 PM PDT

T-mobile is NO good! I have had over 7 months of service/phone problems. After fighting they still will not let me out of my contract nor will they improve my CRAPPY service!

Collapse -
T-Mobile RULES
by tomlejeune / November 4, 2005 11:51 AM PST
In reply to: NOT T-MOBILE

I've tried every mobile service available with the exception of Verizon . My-T-Mobile Rules. In 5 Years of service I have NEVER had a problem and customer service is the best. I Have T-Mobile Internet using the phone as a Modem over GPRS. It is as fast as DSL. At times it is as fast as Cable Broadband . I Love My-T-Mobile. Don't Dis Something until You've Put It To The EXTREME Test. I Know This / AT&T SUCKS, Cingular SUCKS. Sprint SUCKS. Nextel SUCKS. My-T-Mobile RULES. More Connectivity. Nationwide Plans. Even International Plans. Better Service. T-MOBILE RULES

Collapse -
T(errible) Mobile Rules "Can You Here Me Now" Category....
by Psych Doc / November 4, 2005 11:30 PM PST
In reply to: T-Mobile RULES

...They are awful.

Collapse -
unfortuantely T Mobile does suck
by vampb8 / March 5, 2008 3:06 PM PST

I like the plans they offer and they have always been kind to me, but reception absolutely sucks. Whether I go into a building and have to go downstairs, even one level, or it's in a medical building, or my office downtown L.A., or when I went skiing in Montana, mammoth, Oregon, etcetera, I've had nothing but crap reception. It's really frustrating when everyone elses phone is ringing next to me. I've seen people even get reception in the subway, I definitely cannot.

Collapse -
T-Mobile Rules???
by ploukas / November 5, 2005 1:44 AM PST
In reply to: T-Mobile RULES

It's great that you're so happy with them, but the way I look at it is: You've tried the rest, except the best, Verizon.

Collapse -
best
by SMatthews / January 19, 2005 6:23 AM PST

They all suck the same, it's just whom can meet your needs the best with little interference.

Collapse -
Cellular One is the best
by jellypoems / February 24, 2005 4:24 PM PST

I think Cellular One is the best! No, really. For where I live and everything - great services. We have an unlimited minute plan for $50.00 where you get unlimited minutes and free long distance + 100 roaming minutes. You have unlimited minutes in your home area but here the home area is the entire upper half of Minnesota and most of the upper half of Wisconsin (through Eau Claire).

Collapse -
Watch the catches...
by Mr.Big82 / May 8, 2005 2:55 PM PDT

I happen to be a Cingular rep and it does kinda depend on your location but to be honest w/ u cing has the most towers in the US period (no 1 can argue that now that they merged w/attws). I'm coming to u as a consumer not a rep and the 1 thing that sticks out the most that those other carriers wont tell u is that if u are calling mobile to mobile it wont count unless you r on their network, but if you have the new cingular, the entire US is covered including P.Rico and the Virgin Islands.

Collapse -
best cell phone
by HOPPY305 / May 11, 2005 12:46 AM PDT
In reply to: Watch the catches...

I have read all eight post on this subject.
this is for those of you that work for Cingular. I have been with Cingular since September 1994 and my wife has been with Cingular since October 1998 when it was Bellsouth Mobility. Atlease for me the customer service over the phone has gone to crap since September of 2004. My question is I think is simple why has customer service gone to hell. I have talked to friends and family that have Verizon and by far more recommend Verizon. In short when my contract is up June 2006 I am switching to Verizon because on May 2 2005 while talking to Cingular CSR about a problem I was told that my rate plan changed on April 11 2005 when it was changed on March 18th. That was the straw that broke the camel back. So in short My wife oldest daughter and myself will become a Veriaon customer. CINGULAR CAN YOU HEAR ME NOW?????????????

Collapse -
Nokia by far
by cellman / May 15, 2005 2:54 AM PDT

Nokia is the best, I would suggest Motorola Quadband if you are on cingular.
visit www.romeohifi.com we have Nokia and motorola

Collapse -
New site to compare all cell phone plans
by sarah_fiest / June 1, 2005 8:14 AM PDT
In reply to: Nokia by far

folks,
check out http://www.telebayplans.com
i got verizon family plan for us from there.
good prompt service and great cash back.

the reason we got verizon is most of our friends and family have verizon so we get to talk to them for free. another thing you want to consider before buying a plan.

however http://www.telebayplans.com helped us compare all the plans available in our area. because if you goto mall and enter the t-mobile or cingular or verizon store the sales people will pressure ya in buying their stuff. and there are no great rebates in stores when i checked so i went on the internet to get my plan.

sarah

Collapse -
Verizon
by curiousgeorgette / October 12, 2005 3:59 PM PDT

I can hardly wait to get out of my Verizon contract. I am SO GLAD I signed up for one year instead of two. They have overcharged repeatedly in nefarious manners. My $60 a month plan has really cost me more like $1500 for 8 months. In Sept I finally managed to get my bill down to $75 after MONTHLY calls to the company trying to figure out why my bill was so high. Every month they 'fixed'. Every month was still a shock. When this contract is up I will opt for a pay-as-you-go plan if I cannot find a more honest company. I hate Verizon. I think they are dishonest.

Collapse -
Verizon
by dave1973 / October 12, 2005 6:33 PM PDT
In reply to: Verizon

What time of the day do you make a lot of calls? Also are a lot of the people you're talking to on land lines or other wireless services? If you can't manage your minutes, then you don't need a cell phone, regardless of service. I also would hope you didn't roam a lot either. I'm on the $39.99 Americas Choice plan and I have 400 anytime minutes, unlimited IN-Networking (I still call it Mobile-to-Mobile), and unlimited nights & weekend minutes. Since most of the people I know are on Verizon Wireless, I don't use up my minutes. I say you don't manage you minutes properly if you run up close to $1500 on your bill. I know someone who had Nextel and his first month bill for service was $350, and that was because he went well over his minutes and used his cellphone mostly during peak hours during the week.

Collapse -
Word (Verizon is pretty sneaky on the bills)
by ihop4no1 / November 23, 2005 1:49 PM PST

I hear you! My Verizon contract ended yesterday and I've been SERIOUSLY considering T-Mobile. Here's a quick comparison of Verizon Verses T-Mobile.

Verizon
450 minutes $40
Text msgs .10 each
Nights cov 9-6 AM
2 year contracts
Can't call internationally w/o plans
Verizon - OLD phones/last years models

T-Mobile
600 $40(for $10 more u get 1500!)
Text msgs. .05 each
Nights cov 9-7 AM
1 year contracts
T-Mobile can call internationally w/o a calling plan
T-Mobile - COOL phones (RAZR V3)

I know Verizon's coverage is the best but their plans are not adequate. I cringe when the phone rings during the day. My last bill was $221 and it wasn't because I ''couldn't manage my usage.'' I was doing phone interviews (can't do them on the work's phone line) and I don't have a home phone. So twice now Verizon's hit me hard with HUGE bills. No more.

One quirk about T-Mobile though - you've got to pay $7 extra for unlimited mobile to mobile. Still for $47 and tax ($40 + $7) for 600 minutes is better than my average Verizon bill of $55 ($40 + $5 for picture messaging + .10 for each text message + tax and junk fees.)

Collapse -
You mean Verizon is as bad as Sprint?
by ohnonotagain / August 21, 2006 7:29 AM PDT

You are having the exact same experience I've been having with Sprint -- and I thought Verizon was the answer to my problems. Sprint messes up the bill every month, shifts around my plan, issues "credits"-- which, upon acceptance, result in higher charges, etc. A complete nightmare -- the opportunity cost of the time I spend on the phone with their customer-service people (mostly pretty nice, but unable to fix very much) is incalculable. Where next?

Collapse -
New Cell Phone Sites for Comparison
by gregmallinger / November 5, 2005 4:57 AM PST

Sarah:

I checked that website, and its OK. I checked numerous other sites and they are far better. Like http://www.letstalk.com, http://www.myrateplan.com, http://www.oneshopwireless.com, http://www.mobiledia.com and http://www.coolcellulardeals.com

All of them are comparable (if not better).

Greg

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) sarah's site kind of lame, and out of date
by jbroshear / March 12, 2006 12:03 PM PST
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) agreed. sites Greg lists are better.
by mightyphung / March 16, 2006 3:39 AM PST
Collapse -
site to compare all cell phones
by sarah_fiest / November 10, 2005 3:29 AM PST
Collapse -
Choosing a Plan
by pfdurand35 / January 5, 2006 7:03 PM PST

Thank you Sarah. I was hoping there was a site like this and you lead me right to it. I love effeciency.

Collapse -
Nokia
by tomlejeune / November 4, 2005 11:55 AM PST
In reply to: Nokia by far

Nokia is just A PHONE . Not a Wireless Company. T-MOBILE RULES

Collapse -
Definitely NOT Cingular in Atlanta. Their signal is horrible
by johncl / June 2, 2005 3:49 AM PDT

They drop off right in the middle of important calls on a daily basis. Doesn't matter if you are moving or not.

JohnCl

Collapse -
Not Verizon
by petebaby / October 13, 2005 4:38 AM PDT

In Illinois where I live Verizon seems to have few towers , I can"t get good reception on my phone with Verizon and have tried many phones .
I like Cingular or US Cellular . Great Reception
just about everywhere I go .
Hope this helps.

Collapse -
Well its DEFINITELY between T-Mobile and Verizon hands down
by Dani17 / November 5, 2005 1:36 PM PST

I just switched from T-Mobile to Verizon after being with them for 4 years. I have to say I was very satisfied with T-Mobile's quality. I switched because we recently bought a new house and couldn't receive service in the house. I also didn't have service at my job. I would have to say that the choice for best cell phone company would have to be between T-Mobile and Verizon.

Here's a comparison of the two LEADING companies:

1. Minutes:

T-Mobile - offers the most minutes for your money (+); have plans that work with everyone's needs and budgets (+)
Verizon - offers less minutes (-); but with their IN-network, you dont use minutes when talking to other Verizon subscribers (+)

2. Phones:

T-Mobile - has high-priced phones with little technology to support the price (-)
Verizon - high-priced phones with high-end technology to back up the prices (+)

3. Service:

T-Mobile - NO roaming charges (+); only have 1 year contracts (+); good signal (+)
Verizon - roaming charges (-)however it is very rare that you would roam (+); 1 and 2 year contracts but consumer benefits more with 2 year (-); excellent signal (+)

4. Special Features:

Picture Messaging:

T-Mobile - offers plan for sending pictures but can not be received by all other service providers (-)
Verizon - offers plan for sending pictures but can not be received by all other service providers (-)

Internet Access:

T-Mobile - offers T-Zones at a monthly cost for internet access with tons of features including ringtone and wallpaper purchases (+); can check emails (+); offers the use of AIM for instant messaging (+); no streaming video (-)
Verizon - offers Web 2.0 at a monthly internet accesswhich includes GET IT NOW for ringtone and wallpaper purchases (+); has VCAST for streaming video (+); no AIM use (-)

MP3 capability:

T-Mobile - does not offer any phones yet with the capability of MP3 play (-)
Verizon - offers a few phones with MP3 capability (+)

I feel that both of these companies are very good, but I would have to say that Verizon is the BEST company judging by todays technology, demands, and service.

Collapse -
Cingular is Better
by NLiz / November 6, 2005 11:47 AM PST

I believe that Cingular is Better than T-Mobile. Cingular has alot of great things that made me a customer. the ROLL OVER is a blessing, and mobile to mobile is really handy. It is awesome that I get to keep the minutes that I dont use. With the roll over I never go over my minutes. There is no roaming or Long distance EVER. It is a great company.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech Tip

Stuck without Internet and want to watch movies?

CNET shows you how to download movies and TV shows onto your device using Amazon Prime so you'll always be entertained.