Desktops forum

General discussion

Who has the overall best out of the box desktop design?

by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / September 19, 2007 9:07 AM PDT

Poll: Who do you think has the overall best out of the box desktop design?

-- Acer (How so? Any examples?)
-- Alienware (How so? Any examples?)
-- Apple (How so? Any examples?)
-- Dell (How so? Any examples?)
-- eMachine (How so? Any examples?)
-- Gateway (How so? Any examples?)
-- HP (How so? Any examples?)
-- Lenovo (How so? Any examples?)
-- Sony (How so? Any examples?)
-- Other (Please specify.)

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Who has the overall best out of the box desktop design?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Who has the overall best out of the box desktop design?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Apple. No brainer.
by vintonalan / September 19, 2007 12:38 PM PDT

Who cares what it looks like!!!

Apple - OS X.

The rest - Windows.

How much CPU time does Sony's "GUI" take? PLUS the other crap ( antivirus, spamblockers, etc ) you need to run to make this half a$$@d OS work - somewhat reliably?

Windows has been flawed since Micro$oft and IBM parted ways - going back to the OS/2 days. OS/2 had it right. Windows 2.0 and further just keeps digging the hole bigger and bigger.

Collapse -
Alienware Baby!
by OrlandoAce / September 19, 2007 8:00 PM PDT
In reply to: Apple. No brainer.

All I can figure is that all of you that chose Mac, have a Mac don't own an Alienware machine. I have two Macs and one Alienware machine in my shop, and when people come in, they immediately go to the Alienware machine. The awe lasts about 20 seconds, and then they move on. Like most of you say; who really cares??

Collapse -
who cares?
by rwgcnet / September 19, 2007 1:00 PM PDT

Who cares what the compute looks like? I spend my time looking at the stuff on the screen, not the design of the computer. Of the 4 computers around me at the moment, my feet are propped on one of them, a second has piles of paper laying on it, the other two are stuck in a corner and I remote desktop to the, I don?t even know what color they are. I feel sorry for the fools who spend time staring at their box.

Collapse -
Apple obviously
by x.killeddestiny.x / September 19, 2007 1:14 PM PDT
In reply to: who cares?

Everything Apple makes looks good, some things better then others but still they design beautiful computers, iPods, you name it. However my Dell Inspiron 1300 looks pretty nice I must say, but I'm a fan of the now classic black laptops, I like silver just as much as the next person but its better as an acent with black as the main colour, Exept Macbook Pro's look nice cuz its all silber unlike some companies like Dell who make everything silber like the lid, when will people learn?

Collapse -
Who Cares
by rl1401 / September 19, 2007 1:28 PM PDT

My computers are hidden under a desk, in a corner or mounted in a rack. I want a good keyboard, a mouse that fits my hand and a monitor that is large enough to read with a sharp display.

Collapse -
Why 4
by rashidtem / September 20, 2007 2:48 AM PDT

If you would have owned the Mac you wouldn't have to waist your money on 4 PCs.

Collapse -
Why 4
by rebart1 / September 20, 2007 3:18 AM PDT
In reply to: Why 4

Not true. There are stil thing that can't be done on a Mac, and software that is not available for the Mac. These are the only reasons I have both a Mac and a PC. And, I have at least 100 times more trouble with the three PCs we have than with the one Mac that never seems to have problems.

Collapse -
don't forget..
by winsoftwareman / December 1, 2007 10:28 AM PST
In reply to: Why 4

this is not about os and function. this is about design and design only.

Collapse -
Who cares?
by rebart1 / September 20, 2007 3:16 AM PDT

So, it's obvious you don't take care of things so why would you care what it looks like. Some of us do care, and like things to look orderly and ascetic.

Collapse -
You're kidding....right?
by chrissnelson / September 19, 2007 1:18 PM PDT

It would make far more sense to rephrase the question as: "After Apple, who has the best overall best out of the box desktop design?" or even better, omit Apple from the choices and ask: "Which of the following pc designers has the least ugly out of the box desktop design?"

Collapse -
how true!!!
by 7aji88 / September 23, 2007 2:03 AM PDT

Apple got it soo right in the design. I mean I never owned a mac, but their design is so nice that I was looking for a mac looking case when I was building my pc. It's just that mac's cases look simple, not like these extreme mods cases with all the LED lights that you can fit inside that will blind you at night if you look at them. And for pc manufactures, their cases aren't that good looking (Dell's cases used to be almost a box with the hardware inside). I think HP comes after Apple because of the functionality of their design.

Collapse -
LIke I always....
by thelazer2003 / September 19, 2007 1:27 PM PDT

Like I always say,"Keep it simple and nobody gets hurt!" Apple all the way!!!

Collapse -
Kudos
by rashidtem / September 20, 2007 2:56 AM PDT
In reply to: LIke I always....

You said that right buddy.

Collapse -
Dell
by jmarkross / September 19, 2007 2:06 PM PDT

The question is kind of vague...I bought a Dell Dimension E510 about a year ago. Out of the box it was a simple connection and powered it up and the whole system worked as expected, logged into Windows XP and my MSN and off I went. I had MSN with my laptop so I just went to that and I was up and running. I think Apple makes some very attractive designs--but--I want performance, ease of operation...looks only matter if you are operating in a dream world...or have unlimited cash and can buy for beauty alone, in which case you are quite fortunate. Today, computers are so good, it's hard to go wrong if you know much at all. Hope this reads OK...just tested my blood sugar, came up at 39...gotta go eat some sugar..bye!!

Collapse -
Dell is pretty? Come on now.
by m4ch4x0r / September 19, 2007 4:59 PM PDT
In reply to: Dell

"I think Apple makes some very attractive designs--but--I want performance, ease of operation..."

Someone hasn't tried to make a movie on his Windows machine yet. Compared to the iLife experience, making a movie in Windows XP is a test in patience, and Vista doesn't make it that much better; even 3rd party basic video applications don't do what iLife does at the same price.

As for your comment "Today, computer are so good, it's had to go wrong if you know much at all", I would beg to differ. Many people will buy a cheap machine (like a low-end Dell or HP) and expect it to be able to do what a mid-range (Apple, Sony) or high-end (Alienware) machine can do. And those are people that claim they have IT degrees and certifications in most anything related to the field. With so many choices out there, it's easy to make a mistake that you'll need to upgrade (or possibly fix) within the next 6 months.

Collapse -
What I've never gotten about the whole "Mac" thing...
by DarkHawke / September 19, 2007 6:27 PM PDT

Y'know, that's something I've NEVAH gotten about the whole Mac thing: are there really THAT many folks makin' movies with their 'puters that this whole iLife/iMovie/iWTF thing is worth moving to an entirely different OS?! So maybe I'm the '**** in the group, but I've not so much as shot a frame of video, let alone had the yen to edit bits, add titles and soundtracks, etc. On the same track, I've also never had the need to burn my visual virtuosity to disk, so iDVD is as pointless a thing for me as any other DVD burning package. Garage Band? Sorry, again, I'm just this guy sittin' over there in the corner. I'd rather listen to those with talent play music than **** around with something that makes me think I can do the same thing.

However, there IS something that I do on my computer on a daily basis: Type out words (oh, look! I'm doing that now!). Wouldn't it be great if a 'puter came with something to help make that whole typing-out thing easier, like, I dunno, mebbe a WORD PROCESSOR?!? Isn't Apple just finally getting around to putting together a credible office suite? And can you get THAT for free with a Mac instead of iDontGiveADamn?

Don't get me wrong; I'm not the Windows world version of an iZealot. 'Cept for the OS, I'm fairly open-source. My top apps are Firefox, Thunderbird, Winamp and OpenOffice. Hell, my DAP won't play ANY kind of DRM'd tracks! Windows is an effective tool, far from the ultimate OS, but hardly unusable drek either. That and I can play CoX on it, which is all the reason I need, frankly! Wink

Collapse -
Games on Mac
by sisko197 / September 20, 2007 2:04 AM PDT

What are you talking about!?!? iUse the iMac for all of my iOffice iWork! And when i'M done iPlay the huge iLibrary of iGames for my iMac .. although it only consists of that stupid iChess game. Hmm..

iCrap!

I think if I want to continue playing actual games and not the crap on the crapple, I'll stick with my Windows machine. Oh wait.. for the iFanBoys out there that's Windoze or Window$. Yeah, directx 10 pwns you tree hugging iNuts.

Collapse -
Hey I have a nice window application for you
by rashidtem / September 20, 2007 2:55 AM PDT
In reply to: Games on Mac

and it calls iRetard, that is perfect for your jealous ****** ***.

Collapse -
Awwww
by sisko197 / September 20, 2007 3:36 AM PDT

Let me get the iDiaper so we can change you.

Collapse -
YOU ARE JUST PLAIN BORING
by rashidtem / September 20, 2007 2:53 AM PDT

Thats all I wanna say and BTW who are you trying to sound like, wannabe.

Collapse -
praise the lord
by overjinx / September 21, 2007 1:35 AM PDT

AMEN!!!!

Collapse -
Duhhh....
by cre8tiv_grl / September 22, 2007 5:24 AM PDT

You just named every reason a person would buy a MAC.

Word processor? FYI, one doesn't get Office or WordPerfect with a new PC. You have to BUY it. And Apple does provide a "word processor" just like a PC. Apple provides Text Edit, a PC provides Word Pad.

And look! I'm on a MAC and I'm typing out words....ohhhh.....

Collapse -
Clean miss...
by DarkHawke / September 22, 2007 7:19 PM PDT
In reply to: Duhhh....

...as in, of my point. Since I did take the time to cite them, I'm well aware of some of the differences between Mac and Windows boxes. I simply disbelieve the proposition put forward by the iZealots (like yourself?) that the iLife apps are SO compelling and useful to so many folks as to make the Mac their platform of choice. Then again, since the Mac has, what, 5% of the market, maybe everyone who's boat is thusly floated have already gone Mac. My mistake! Grin

My further point about substituting iWork for iLife is to give potential Mac buyers some freedom of choice. If you don't want/need the iLife stuff, why not have the choice of getting iWork if it gives you more of what you need, and for no extra charge? Again, just me sayin', but that could be a nice chip-away at the value proposition of Windows boxes versus Macs. I didn't say anything about included software on Windows boxes, which is nowadays more shovel/crap-ware than good productivity apps. Back when I got my first Dell in 2001, it came with Microsoft Works and a FULL version of Word. As you say, that don't come for free anymore regardless of which company you buy from.

Collapse -
good idea...
by cre8tiv_grl / September 23, 2007 11:50 AM PDT
In reply to: Clean miss...

i see your point in offering a choice. i'm sure writers of books, etc. would be very grateful for that option.

i suppose it's all in fun, to poke at each other for using a mac or a pc; however, i'd rather see discussions about how the two could work together. what does it matter the percentage of users of macs or pcs? that does not prove that pcs are better.

can't we all just get along?!!

Collapse -
Fact is, it's a Windows world...
by DarkHawke / September 24, 2007 1:35 AM PDT
In reply to: good idea...

...and we just live in it, regardless of platform/box choice. As I said earlier, 'Doze boxes aren't inherently better than any other choice, and at least in the malware arena are demonstrably not the best choice, especially for the inexperienced or casual user. The Macs are clearly more secure in that respect, and of course if you're a video or music professional, the high-end tools are mostly if not entirely on that platform as well.

My decision came down to flexibility and overall ease of use, including expandability. Having come from what became a niche platform (the Amiga), I had no intention of hooking up with another small-market brand, as Apple was and still is, though it has expanded its reach in recent years. I had huge misgivings about being assimilated by the Borg of Redmond, but I'm more than okay with it now. My 'puter does what I want and as I want it to, and I can modify it to fit my future needs and even whims with little effort. Then again, I'm a power user/hobbyist, so things like popping in new hard drives or swapping out video cards are all but trivial to me. Sure, you can do the same with the Macs, but it ain't so easy to do with the iMacs and you're stuck with the video card what brung ya. Even with the Mac Pro, you can have whatever ****-of-the-walk video card you want, but if you don't have a driver for it, it's little more than a hunk of wires and chips on a resin board for all the use you'll get out of it. This also limits your gaming on the Mac, at least in the FPS/envelope-pushing arena, and my fave-rave CoX has yet to make an appearance there, if it ever will. And as I note elsewhere on this thread, I personally think my Dell XPS 710 aesthetically cleans the clock of any other box out there!

Ultimately (and obviously!), you choose what works for you, and if it does what you want/need, then rock on wit yo bad self! It's the zealotry that gets one down, which I note (perhaps predictably) most often from Mac enthusiasts. Dunno how it starts, whether it's market-share envy or there's a gang of snotty Windows users out there trolling on Mac forums, but from whatever source the iZealots come, their rhetoric gets enormously tiresome real effin' quick! One tries not to egg them on by returning fire, but you can only take so much before you gots ta open up your own self, y'know? Happy

Collapse -
oh my god!!!!! Windows movie maker!!!! (>_<)
by 7aji88 / September 23, 2007 2:07 AM PDT

that thing gave me the hell when I was trying to make a single movie file from three other movies. I ended up using Nero vision

Collapse -
A hat box - pill box - cake box - but round ain't a computer
by Mr-Opinion / September 19, 2007 3:03 PM PDT

The real question should have bee - who has the worst design --
Realy, I agree with all the who cares, except for this oversized pill box of Sony
For a game box - may be - cool sells there, but for a computer on my desk ( under / next to / in my desk ) Round wastes space - its that simple. -----

(The new business exuse for billing / payment bproblems "My computer roled off the desk - :=) LOL :=)

Collapse -
HP
by Ed-duh-win / September 19, 2007 3:15 PM PDT

HP for me. Macs just don't cut it with me. Plus they're horrible to look at, anyway, at least for me.

Collapse -
HP
by rebart1 / September 23, 2007 9:38 AM PDT
In reply to: HP

I agree that HP makes the best lookin PCs on the market, but I would rather have a Mac if I weren't forced to work on a PC. Macs don't go down like PCs. PCs are a technician's dream.

Collapse -
Give the FREE OS alternative , Linux , a shot ...
by herrwitt / September 19, 2007 4:17 PM PDT

Just buy a monthly Linux mag , and install , or goto Distrowatch.oom and download a 'distro' and have @ it ... LINUX gives YOU , the user , the choice of desktops to use ..
That's it ...

herrwitt!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech Tip

Stuck without Internet and want to watch movies?

CNET shows you how to download movies and TV shows onto your device using Amazon Prime so you'll always be entertained.