Computer Help forum

Resolved Question

Who has the best free Email?

by miwi98 / August 15, 2013 5:45 AM PDT

I have been with Yahoo since the mid 90's but after hackers' hacked Yahoo's emails of longtime users, like me, my life has not been the same. Not only that they have eliminated pages in my email under one identity. When I contacted them about this I was told to install Java which I did. The pages lasted 1 day and my email revert back to no pages. Yahoo would but emails from my contact list into spam folder and visa versa. Yahoo has turned into a nightmare with their so called upgrading. My OS is Win 7 and my computer is 3 years old and I am current with all updates and there r no virus or spamware that Norton 360 can find.

So it is time for me to find another free email, which is sad since all my contacts know I use Yahoo. I guess Yahoo do not want folkloyaltyty otherwise I would not be asking for help outside of them.

miwi98 has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Who has the best free Email?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Who has the best free Email?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Sorry but I think you need to clarify this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 15, 2013 6:28 AM PDT
Collapse -
Computer help forum: Who has the best free Email?
by miwi98 / August 16, 2013 1:16 PM PDT

Yes, I mean web email unless Yahoo is something other than what it is, sorry I thought it was understood. No I do not use thunderbird and when I contacted Yahoo Mail! they did not mention this but I am using GMail also and find its use less complicated but it is changing too.
So r u telling me if I have this "Thunderbird" I will get my pages back? Really???????????

Collapse -
User satisfaction
by richteral / August 16, 2013 7:21 PM PDT

It will be interesting to check on user ratings at the link above. The state of free email is rather dire in that respect, and the time may come when one will simply be forced to look for paid options. Fastmail is one such, although even that has to a degree, succumbed to the prevailing fad of mending what is not broken.

Startmail, a new kid on the block, is currently under beta testing, with a view of launching early next year.

Collapse -
If you insist on web mail you give up control.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 17, 2013 12:34 AM PDT

I asked for clarification because you were not explicit. I'm going to be explicit at the risk of upsetting you.

Yahoo, even Yahoo has a classic email service that you can use your choice of email clients. If you had gone with classic email software you would never have noticed the web mail changes.

Also, with web mail, you give up control of if your email is archived, lost and more. If the web mail host decided to add video advertising to every page, your choice of web mail means you were OK with that.

Again, I've probably upset you by being blunt and explicit but web mail is not yours to control. There are folk that you may have heard of that think this as well. Ever hear of this guy?

Your choice to use web mail or get an email client.

Collapse -
Who has the best free Email?
by miwi98 / August 17, 2013 12:27 PM PDT

Thanks for your response but I have an email account with my IP however it is prudent to have some type other type of "web base" email account and it would be silly for me to pay for two "web base" email account. Poor customer svc is plaguing Yahoo Mail! but and I am attempting to facilitate the problem but using a "beta" email is not for me. My beta days are over since I "beta" google, AOL, Netscape, Hotmail and etc. Google appears to be the best blocking spam emails from India, the spam capital of the world and Yahoo Mail! can not.

Thanks for the response.

Collapse -
I Never Changed Yahoo Mail! from Classic
by miwi98 / August 17, 2013 4:52 PM PDT

I never changed my Yahoo Mail! from Classic. One day I went to my email and it was changed and I have not gotten any help from Yahoo so I decided to ask the "boards" and maybe someone could help me. Since then Yahoo Mail! has been so fickle and I am trying to hold on to it. I tried to go back to Classic but can not.

Thanks so much for your suggestions and response.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by miwi98

Collapse -
How about your ISP?
by Zouch / August 16, 2013 7:37 PM PDT

Does your ISP not provide a free email service? Most do and mostly they are POP3, where you download your messages to your email client, e.g. Thunderbird (At stable release 17.0.8, hardly a "work in progress"!) or IMAP, where the messages are held on the server but still accessed via your email client - Thunderbird again.

Yes, you have to manage your email, not just stuff it in Gmail's huge bin but in return, as Bob said, you get to tailor Thunderbird to your exact liking and it won't keep changing to a "New and Improved" format. I'm afraid most free webmail providers break the fundamental IT rule "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!".

That said, my ISP tried to move everyone from POP3 to Webmail but, due to user pressure, continued to provide POP3 access and nobody I know gave up their customized POP3!

Collapse -
by miwi98 / August 17, 2013 12:29 PM PDT
In reply to: How about your ISP?

I was thinking about this and it is nice to know that I may be on the right track.

Thank u for responding.

Collapse -
by Jimmy Greystone / August 15, 2013 6:34 AM PDT

Personally I like Gmail. Google's been doing like Yahoo and messing with the web interface, but they're kind enough to offer free IMAP service (for now at least) so you can use almost any email client you want in conjunction with that, and IMAP means that you can have access to the same set of messages anywhere.

Gmail though, at least isn't as bad as Yahoo where it just seems like they are intent on bombarding you with ads from every direction in your email if you don't use some kind of ad blocking software. Google has maintained some restraint and kept only to its relatively unobtrusive text ads. If they ever find themselves in the kind of dire financial straits Yahoo is in, who knows what they might do, but at least for now we can enjoy the gravy train while it lasts.

Collapse -
Computer help forum: Who has the best free Email?
by miwi98 / August 16, 2013 1:19 PM PDT
In reply to: Personally

I do have a GMail account too but I have been trying to stay with Yahoo Mail! since most of my contacts have this email address. Have u heard of "Thunderbird"? Someone suggested if I had it I would not have noticed the changes Yahoo Mail! made.

Thanks for responding.

Collapse -
by Jimmy Greystone / August 16, 2013 1:34 PM PDT
Collapse -
Web mail vs Email client
by Bob_Meyer / August 16, 2013 1:44 PM PDT

Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail/Live mail and others are web based email, where you access your email through a webpage. Thunderbird, like Outlook and Outlook Express are email clients that run on your PC. The client downloads your email to your PC. The good news is you are independent of your email service provider, the bad news is all that email is stored on your PC and you have to manage it.

On the other hand, you can use email forwarding to change email providers. For instance, open a Gmail account. Set email forwarding on your Yahoo account to forward all your mail to your Gmail account. Only send email from your Gmail account. Sooner or later, all your contacts get the word and you can shut down the Yahoo account.

Another Bob

Collapse -
by tedtks / August 16, 2013 1:51 PM PDT

I tried useing it a couple months ago - their writeup was good but also it is
still a work in progress - and the progress seems to be slow... there were a
couple quirks I ran into so I am still useing 0UTBACK that was jambed down
our throats - mostly because it will be a pain to change all the places that
have my address at hotmail. gmail looks pretty good - opened an acct there
and transfered everything - well.. almost everything went hahaha and they too
are changeing things - so far not all for the better.
to me - mail should be straight forward, simple, no big whiz bang, I just want to
read and answer mail period ! if they have to have ads - fine - I can ignore them
like everywhere else... but changing the function - why ? just cause there are
bored programmers that have nothing better to do ? thats what it seems like.

Collapse -
by Hartiq / August 17, 2013 3:08 AM PDT

... on what you mean by "pages".
If you download and install the Thunderbird email program from you can have unlimited numbers of email addresses and can download new emails to all the separate inboxes all at once every time you start the program.
You need to download T'bird, then set it up so it knows where to find jimmy@yahoo and jimmy@gmail and all your other email addresses. That takes about 30 seconds per address.
Then T'bird will download everything in your webmail inbox. [If you're anything like my sister, with years of emails in your inbox, you might want to set up "filters" so emails from different people go to different folders inside T'bird, and you might want to set it running then go to sleep while it downloads all of your several million messages].
Once you have downloaded everything, the emails are on *your* computer and under *your* control. You can keep them, reply to them, delete them, move them to local folders to organise them or whatever and you can do all of that *any* time you want. You need never fear Yahoo or Gmail deleting anything even accidentally.
Of course, there are drawbacks to keeping your emails on your box. You may need a lot of hard drive space, you have to organise them eventually or you'll lose track of things and the first download could be *very* long.
But it does mean you never need to log in to Yahoo/Gmail unless you need to update something.
You can even put Thunderbird on a USB pen drive, thumb drive, using Portable Apps so you can access your emails, all of them, from any computer without writing anything to their hard drive. or you can buy a drive with them on.

If by "pages" you mean Yahoo webpages then no Thunderbird will not help. The other Mozilla program, Firefox, the web browser, might. It is also in PortableApps.

Collapse -
I Can Not Go From Page One, Two, etc on my message page(s)
by miwi98 / August 18, 2013 10:25 AM PDT
In reply to: Depends...

Yahoo Mail! changed my email from Classic to the new one and I checked yesterday and I can not go back to the classic. At first I had pages, like Gmail, Hotmail, AOL, Netzero but with Yahoo Mail! there aren't any. Just an arrow pointing up and it is so cumbersome. I tried Firefox years ago, before it was popular but I did not hang in there when they made improvements. Now it appears that Thunderbird, Mozilla and Firefox are all connected. IE is my fav browser and I do not enjoy installing dups of software. It appears that I may have to give up Yahoo Mail! since no one can really help me with it; however all the suggestions from those who have responded have given me food for thought about getting rid of Yahoo Mail!

Thanks so much for responding.

Collapse -
What was your reason for not going with a client?
by wpgwpg / August 18, 2013 10:42 AM PDT

I know you said you didn't want to go to an email client like Windows Live Mail or Thunderbird, but you never gave a reason. When they would solve your problem, I find it hard to help you when you haven't given any reason not to pursue that other than to say you don't want to.

Collapse -
by miwi98 / August 18, 2013 2:53 PM PDT

I have change providers over the past 18 yrs but Yahoo Mail! has been constant for my contacts and they were very dependable. Although I tried other web base emails, at the time Yahoo Mail! was the best for me. All I am trying to do is try to "fix" Yahoo Mail! but apparently no one have a solution even Yahoo Mail!.

Thank you for responding.

Collapse -
WLM or Thunderbird WILL fix it.
by wpgwpg / August 19, 2013 12:39 AM PDT
In reply to: Simply...

You still haven't given any reason for not going with Windows Live Mail or Thunderbird in conjunction with Yahoo Mail. Since they would fix the problem for you, I have to conclude you're going out of your way to make it hard on yourself for lack of any reason to the contrary.

Collapse -
Thank you, now I think I understand.
by Hartiq / August 19, 2013 3:04 AM PDT

In the old Yahoo, you had perhaps 20 emails per "page", like these CNet messages, and you had to page through them using a "--->next" button or something like that. In the new Yahoo, all you get is several million emails in one scrollable window that you have to scroll up and down. Like Gmail.
Am I right?
If so, then the old view could be called "pagination" or a "paginated view" and the new one would just be a giant list of all your emails.
Okay. So far so good.
Now, if you download T'bird, Pegasus or any other offline email client program you will *start* with a list like the new Yahoo view that you hate so much. Sorry, but that's how email was first done when people got maybe two a day and they never collected them. Email was easy in those days. [Yes I'm old enough to remember them.]
So how do you make T'bird or Pegasus look more like "pages"? Folders. Folders and filters to put emails into them.
A folder for Sue, with a "put sue@gmail mails into Sue's Folder" rule.
A folder for 2002, a folder inside "2002" for "M01-Jan", for "M02-Feb" et cetera, and the appropriate rules to guide emails into them.
In T'bird, there is a "View/Sort by date" option, or sort by sender or by subject, and there is a "Group by sort" option that will separate "Today", "Yesterday", "Last Week" or will group emails in bunches by subject and sort of show them as separate "pages" (almost).
So there are ways to get your "pages" back, even offline, but it takes a little learning of how the programs work. All email programs do the same job, they fetch and display emails, or send them, but they all use different names, rules, ways of doing things and awkward little complexities. That's why I'm being very vague about how to do things. I mainly use Thunderbird for emails, but you might hate it and might love Mulberry or the hideous Windosed Dead Male.
Lots of CNet readers like Thunderbird (T'bird) but there are thousands of email programs floating about. Apple has at least two in MacOS. Microsoft has lots.
Some linkies: you may hate all of these you gotta love WikiP for its inclusiveness this is a paginated view of a long list of programs that store. I no longer use but others do.

Does any of this help, or am I going *way* down the wrong track here?

Collapse -
Ooops. Sorry, I didn't notice you'd closed this one.
by Hartiq / August 19, 2013 3:10 AM PDT
Collapse -
Thank u
by miwi98 / August 19, 2013 1:54 PM PDT

Thank u so much for responding. Cnet Forum is great!

Collapse -
Or even better
by Jimmy Greystone / August 19, 2013 4:40 AM PDT

Or even better, you can adopt Google's "search don't sort" method. It takes a little retraining to get used to it, but once you do it's a much more efficient way of going about things and Thunderbird has the most robust search features of any email client I've seen. You can drill down to make it so you get only messages sent by you, received by you, have attachments, type of attachment, whether it includes a specific person/email address or specifically does not include them. The only thing I wish the Thunderbird developers would do is flesh out the ability to sort the search results. More than just by date or relevance, maybe limit search results to a specific year or date range.

But in any regard, this way all you need to know is a few details about the message you're looking for and you can find it by searching for those key details instead of trying to sift through large numbers of messages in a convoluted sorting system.

Collapse -
Food for Thought
by miwi98 / August 19, 2013 2:12 PM PDT
In reply to: Or even better

You guys have given me many things to thnk about and try. What would I do if CNet forum was not here.

Thanks a lot.

Collapse -
Please Check this Link Out & See...
by miwi98 / August 19, 2013 9:12 AM PDT

Please check this page out and see I am not alone.

I am "ole skool" but I can see now that Yahoo Mail! is not only ignoring me about the web base email but a whole lot of folks. Now I am working to switch over to my Gmail account, that I have had for months, maybe it is time to say goodbye to Yahoo Mail!.

I will try the link you sent and give them a try.

Thanks for responding.

Collapse -
What is best is open to interpretation
by The ancient one / August 19, 2013 10:52 AM PDT

It all depends upon what your needs are. I have used over 50 different ones for one reason or another. You might try this source to see what is available in the way of free web mail.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.