Laptops forum

General discussion

Who can tell me about ACER ASPIRE 5100

by Zizzy86 / April 22, 2007 4:16 AM PDT

I'm looking for a new laptop and the Acer Aspire 5100 looks very enticing. Its got a Turion 64-2000 mhz with 1gb ram and 120 gb hd. But how will it hold up. Is it a reliable computer? I know Acer goes and comes in the market place. How does it compare to Toshiba, Dell, HP, or Gateway.

Any help would be great.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Who can tell me about ACER ASPIRE 5100
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Who can tell me about ACER ASPIRE 5100
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
No Vista I hope.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 22, 2007 4:17 AM PDT

If you visit the Vista forum the recurring advice is dual core CPUs and 2GB RAM. If this one has Vista you are looking at a single core and 1/2 the RAM for a great Vista experience. But it could be cheap so is this a budget issue?

Collapse -
Yeah its a budget issue
by Zizzy86 / April 22, 2007 4:23 AM PDT
In reply to: No Vista I hope.

I don't want to spend more than $600 so my options are limited.

Collapse -
Then that's about as good as it gets for that much.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 22, 2007 4:35 AM PDT

Be sure to play with the machine before you commit.

Here's why. A desktop for that much would give a better experience for same or less money.

Collapse -
Mine works well...
by davidkangell / May 9, 2007 6:08 AM PDT

I have the Acer Aspire 5100 you and it is working well so far (bought it 6 weeks ago. ) Seems like a decent, middle of the road laptop. Mine has Vista, which runs OK with the stock AMD CPU and 1G memory, but I bought a couple of gigs of ram to speed things up a bit. If you buy it (or have already) and are having trouble with the wireless NIC not working with WPA encryption, let me know. I found a solution after a long search.

Collapse -
Acer Aspire 5100
by YorkyCNET / May 12, 2007 2:32 AM PDT
In reply to: Mine works well...

I decided to upgrade my laptop whilst XP was still available.

I am enjoying the extra speed and 120Gb HD, and all my old software and hardware works without a problem. no problem with the built in Wi-fi.

I would recommend you stick with XP and add an extra 1Gb of RAM.

Collapse -
need help in Xp prof. in Aser aspire 5100
by rameshtpally / September 20, 2007 3:45 AM PDT
In reply to: Acer Aspire 5100

I revoved the Vista as it doesn't support some of the s/w.
Installed the XP prof. and could not get the drivers for the Wireless N/W.

But I could able to connect to the net if I hook the cable directly to the laptop.

I appreciate your help in this.

Collapse -
XP vs Vista
by dwyermaker / January 4, 2008 7:19 AM PST

I am currently having problems with the Vista OS that came with my Acer Aspire 5100 notebook. Will replacing Vista with XP help my out? ANY information will be GREATLY appreciated!!!

Collapse -
Replacing original Vista with XP
by DiasperMan1234 / April 10, 2008 2:52 AM PDT
In reply to: XP vs Vista

It would not be wise. Downgrading from Vista with it pre-installed to XP will most certainly cause hardware failures with the change. As Vista is the most newest OS out there and because it has hardware specifically designed for Vista, XP will not recognize the new hardware. Unless you want to go through(?) probably a time consuming and expensive(?) mistake, don't do it.

Collapse -
That's the new Urban Myth.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 10, 2008 2:55 AM PDT

Let's hope that this one gathers steam so we can laugh about it later.

Collapse -
Mine works well, EXCEPT...
by DrDann / June 4, 2007 2:00 PM PDT

when I went to my old WiFi Hotspot, it was unable to detect any networks in the area. It also fails to see a couple of networks here at home that neighbors have that I always saw but was unable to connect to due to passwords, etc.

The network at the library was always open, though, and it doesn't see it.

On my old laptop with XP, It saw it right away and connected with no problem. With Vista, nothing.

Collapse -
CALL it in. One owner (not your laptop!)
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 4, 2007 2:06 PM PDT

One owner sent it back and they replaced the cable from the miniPCI wifi card to the antenna. Much better.

Collapse -
Also look at you wireless drivers and
by orlbuckeye / June 4, 2007 8:52 PM PDT

make sure they are the most current. The drivers that came with my machine would never recieve an excellent connection until I went to the Intel website and updated my wireless drivers.

Collapse -
aspire 5100
by bgennes / July 15, 2007 1:11 AM PDT

thank you so much for providing such helpful info. i have aspire 5100 and am having vista speed issues. where should i but the extra gig of ram, and is it easy to do myself?

thank you so much

Collapse -
No. It's a single core CPU.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 15, 2007 1:45 AM PDT
In reply to: aspire 5100

It lacks the basic items to run Vista well. Adding more RAM won't make it acceptable to most.

Collapse -
Thank you
by bgennes / July 15, 2007 1:49 AM PDT

Thank you so much

Collapse -
Not too shabby at all.
by Yellowshock1970 / July 26, 2007 4:21 AM PDT

In reply to Bob: I bought this as a back up laptop and upgraded to 2GB ram. it runs Vista premium just fine. No performance issues. I have a c500 Compaq as well which runs XP and the Acer is much smoother. Ipso facto: I disagree that it will not worrk well with Vista. Depends on how labour intensive you get with the CPU I guess as in rendering Vid but that would be the same problem for any low-powered laptop.

Me like Acer

Collapse -
I have a
by orlbuckeye / November 30, 2008 1:23 AM PST

single core processor on one of my laptops with 2 gig and it run Vista and Windows 7 fine.

Collapse -
At the office...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 30, 2008 11:18 AM PST
In reply to: I have a

We tried that. It was not a happy place.

Collapse -
extra ram
by Yellowshock1970 / July 26, 2007 4:23 AM PDT

Just look for PC2-4200 200pin SODIMM laptop ram. I bought 2GB (2x 1gb sticks) at for 80.99 with free shipping. Can't go wrong.
Putting it in is very simple and described in online and in manual. Go for it.

Collapse -
Acer Aspire 5100 Wireless Driver Update & Adding more Ram
by smileck / December 4, 2007 8:30 AM PST
In reply to: extra ram

Could someone tell me how to get the update to the Wireless Driver for the Acer Aspire 5100 Laptop ... I only see Windows XP Driver for Broadcom on Acer Website. Plus I'm interested in upgrade with more Ram ... Someone stated that Detail instructions were available ... Where ?? Thanks for your kind assistance !!

Collapse -
speed is just fine
by Sweet Kay / August 7, 2007 10:05 AM PDT

No speed issues here - not a dual core processor , but with 2.20 Ghz not bad. Got rid of ALL Symantic stuff (especially Norton Anti- virus, it slows everything down and is nnot even good) and got AVG free anti-virus instead, also deleted all Acer bloatware. Speed is just fine, no crashes, laptop does not get hot or loud (unlike my old Dell Latitude C 640) Dual core is better if you need to work on several things at the same time, not really an issue with internet browsing, watching a video or picture editing - just not at the same time. I like the fact that you can expand to 4 GB, but so far, the 1 GB for my home premium edition is working well.
No trouble with WIFI hot spot connections either, reception is actually amazingly strong wherever I go, but updating the driver is a must!!!
For $500 nothing to complain about. New Acer 5100 does come with dual core processor, but is more expensive!

Collapse -
I found no Acer bloatware.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 7, 2007 11:39 AM PDT
In reply to: speed is just fine

Can you share what you found?

Collapse -
Internal Speakers for Acer 5100
by anitar95 / January 9, 2008 11:48 AM PST

Purchased new in August 2007. I had external speakers on my laptop, because the computer speakers internal are so quiet. Now my external speakers have quit working, due to wiring on speakers, and I need to change back for now to the internal speakers. I can't figure out how to do it. I have Windows Vista. I have gone to the start>controlpanel>sound. Any help would be appreciated.

Collapse -
by anitar95 / January 9, 2008 12:03 PM PST

Sorry about the other post. I forgot what I was doing.

What is bloatware? My laptop is runnning so slow.

Collapse -
same question
by 1972 chevy c10 / September 1, 2007 4:31 PM PDT

i too am havin trouble with the wireless and was wondering what i could do about it
thanks a bunch

Collapse -
Not a single trouble here.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 1, 2007 10:14 PM PDT
In reply to: same question

We have 2 new Acer's and both are fine. If your Acer is like the above (new, etc) then it's a warranty item.

-> Some drop into such a discussion and we discover they don't own the same product, etc. For those, they needed to make their own new discussion with all the details.

Collapse -
Need Xp network drivers
by rameshtpally / September 20, 2007 4:04 AM PDT

Please let me know where can I find the wireless network drivers, I am sesrching for them but in vain.
I really appreciate your help.

Collapse -
Wireless Connection
by gypsyangel777 / March 26, 2008 6:25 AM PDT

David you mentioned that you found a solution to the wireless issue with no connection. Would you please break that down for me and either post it here or email me at

Thanks so much! I'm having to use my ethernet connected pc, can't get my wireless to see anything.....

Collapse -
(NT) Did you check the forum sticky in our Networking Forum?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 26, 2008 6:31 AM PDT
In reply to: Wireless Connection
Collapse -
by lucky499 / April 18, 2008 12:29 AM PDT

the acer aspire 5100 is a good pc only problem is the mice the bit you use to scroll up and down fades easily

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.