Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Whitesmoke virus

by owen72 / March 18, 2011 3:24 PM PDT

Recently my computer was infected by WhiteSmoke virus. Is there any way in the future that I can prevent this?'
Thank you,
Leeflea

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Whitesmoke virus
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Whitesmoke virus
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Looking at this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 19, 2011 4:40 AM PDT
In reply to: Whitesmoke virus

It appears this is -> installed by the user <-

While it can be painful, demote that user's account to less than administrator and don't let them install software.
Bob

Collapse -
Possibly your respone to my question regarding Whitesmoke.
by owen72 / October 15, 2011 3:37 AM PDT
In reply to: Looking at this.

I just noticed the post by R. Proffitt regarding my asking about Whitesmoke virus infection. Might you please explain to me your response about '...demoting that user's account...'? And...'don't let them install software'? I'm most interested to hear exactly what you mean.
Thank you,
Lee

Collapse -
Your question was how you can prevent this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 15, 2011 4:54 AM PDT

Keeping in mind this is a Personal Computer our options are limited. I offered ONE option that is supplied with Windows to stop the problem in its tracks.

Locking down the machine is one option. Some may offer up another antivirus but that only WARNS about the app's rating and your average user can ignore it and install it anyway. There is not much to do but remove permissions and stop the user that way.

Hope this helps you understand my reply better.
Bob

Collapse -
White smoke virus
by owen72 / October 15, 2011 6:13 AM PDT

Would you be kind enough to explain to me what you mean by remove permission. Permission from whom? Too, when you said, "...stop the user that way" are you referring to me? What have I done to evoke such drastic steps?

Collapse -
What Bob means to say is this.
by Kees_B Forum moderator / October 15, 2011 6:41 AM PDT
In reply to: White smoke virus

He did some other research then you did and came to the conclusion that it isn't a virus, just a regular program installed by somebody. For example, see http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/protect_scanning/whitesmoke-virus/79630ed1-b9ee-41a7-91e6-cc22259a077f that tells so.

And he assumes you didn't do it yourself (because then you would know it was installed, wouldn't you?) so it must have been some other user that did it. And the only way to prevent that, is to make him or her a non-administrator (take away his administrator rights).

Maybe he's wrong and you don't have the program he thinks you have. Then please tell what makes you think this is the malware variant mentioned in that link also. You didn't tell that yet.

Kees

Collapse -
White smoke
by owen72 / October 15, 2011 7:47 AM PDT

Thank you Kees. I appreciate your comment. Boolee.

Collapse -
White smoke.
by owen72 / October 15, 2011 7:48 AM PDT

In keeping with you request Robert, I'm posting as you insisted. All I can say is do as you with.

Collapse -
Smoke test. Let me share a little more.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 17, 2011 5:02 AM PDT
In reply to: White smoke.

I have the advantage that NO ONE ELSE uses my work machine. Even the IT staff is forbidden unless invited.

Having said that, I've yet to find anything in scans for over 2 years. Yes I see an occasional tracking cookie but no pests, no virus, trojan or such.

I don't have much installed save the usual antivirus but don't use IE, and installed WOT as well as Adblock Plus.

Since I don't go to shady places, what's to do but use the machine?
bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.