TVs & Home Theaters forum

Question

White too bright in picture on Samsung LCD TV

by use2011-24231454880922620840885967718991 / August 17, 2011 12:09 AM PDT

Despite altering all the picture settings (contrast, gamma, etc) the white remains too bright on my Samsung TV (LA32B45OC4D). When there is no white in the picture, it's fine.
I've recently had Sky installed but this has made no difference and the Sky engineer had never seen the problem before.
It's an Australian TV I'm using in the UK; could this be the problem?
What might the solution be?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: White too bright in picture on Samsung LCD TV
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: White too bright in picture on Samsung LCD TV
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Your HDTV still might need to be calibrated
by Pepe7 / August 17, 2011 5:12 AM PDT

Some of the settings 'under the hood' may still need to be calibrated by a professional.

Collapse -
Answer
White too bright in picture on Samsung LCD TV
by 3coursedinner / August 17, 2011 6:22 AM PDT

Is this TV new or been in use and suddenly went real white? Did you try going through the settings menu and selecting "default" or "factory setting" or whatever?
Had you made any changes and then saw the white? Did you write the model number correctly? I couldn't find it in any search except for your posting.
If there was a problem using an Australian TV un the UK, I don't think it would affect just the white. I'm not familiar with worldwide voltage but is Australia the same as the UK? I was in Australia 40 years ago but don't think I checked voltage when I was there!

Collapse -
Answer
try
by givemeaname / August 17, 2011 6:52 AM PDT

resting everything to default settings and go through the different TV viewing modes (movie, game so on) . If it is still there start with backlighting settings & turn OFF Advanced Settings. Then try Contrast if still no help, it will only do so much, lower the number will make it less bright, the Brightness setting deals with blacks & shadow detail.

Aussie power is 240v/50hz UK is 230v/50hz, so there could be something going on, but most large electronics can handle that little bite of power difference, small voltage sag & rise of 10volts +/- max with out any problems. If you have a volt meter check the volts of the wall outlet (be careful) because you could be under 230v, just the natural fluctuation in a power grid & if it is too low your TV may not like it.

If still nothing & you want to keep the TV do as Pepe said or look at getting a new TV.

Collapse -
Answer
Easy fix
by pinkfluffy123 / February 25, 2013 11:39 PM PST

Hey, found this quick fix on another site, I know it's probably no longer useful for you, but for others searching through forums for help, this trick helped me: unplug your set for five minutes. Apparently these tvs build up static electricity and leaving them inactive allows it to disperse. Worked for me, hope it works for you!

Collapse -
Answer
try this
by bhavz45 / October 10, 2013 10:09 PM PDT

I had a very similar problem, try going into menu and doing a picture reset, it worked for me

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.