Samsung

General discussion

white spots on tv screen

by mads16m37 / January 14, 2009 9:04 AM PST

I have a Samsung 50inch dlp projection tv model # HLS5086WXXAA
serial# B18E3CMLA06269Y Version # PBOT The set was one and a half yrs old when white spots started to show up on the screen, it started with one ,then two, now there are more than fourty and growing every day. They are about 1/8 inch round.I would think a $1600 tv should last more than one and a half yrs before I need to spend money to have it repaired. What causes this and how much will it cost to have it repaired. Can I get the part and fix it myself. Thank You for your help

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: white spots on tv screen
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: white spots on tv screen
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Spots...
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / January 14, 2009 3:36 PM PST

mads16m37,

I'm sorry to hear that you're having problems with your set.

When you say "white spots", do you mean individual pixels? The DLP units have a micromirror device that, if they get stuck, could show small white pixels. Is this what you mean? I'm not sure what would cause a 1/8th inch round spot on the inside of a DLP television.

To have the unit repaired, you'd have to get an estimate from 800-SAMSUNG. I just don't have the pricing available to me. If you'd like to get the part yourself, it may be available on www.samsungparts.com or by calling our parts department at the above number. Without being able to diagnose the unit myself, I don't know which part would fix this issue.

--HDTech

Collapse -
white spots
by mads16m37 / January 15, 2009 2:44 AM PST
In reply to: Spots...

they are individual pixels, they cover the whole screen, they are all about 1/8 inch round.It started with one, now there are about fourty,with two or three new ones every day. From another chat forum, I was told they will keep getting worse, wntil you can't see the picture, they said the problem is the DMD, do you know how much this part is, and is is easy to get to. Model #HLS5086WXXAA
Serial# B18E3CMLA06269Y Version PBOT 50 inch DLP PROJECTION.

Thank You Very much for your help, Mike

Collapse -
DMD
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / January 15, 2009 2:45 PM PST
In reply to: white spots

Mike,

The DMD (Digital Micromirror Device) is the actual chip itself. In this case, it contains roughly 921,600 micro-mirrors that make up the picture you see.

That chip, to the best of my knowledge, is actually part of the engine board. It can't be "snapped out" and replaced; however the board can be replaced, and in the process, you essentially get a new television on the inside.

The best thing you might want to do is call 800-SAMSUNG and explain the situation and see if they have a recommendation since the chip is getting worse. If not, that same phone number will get you to the parts department and you can inquire about the costs for a replacement board.

Keep me posted.

--HDTech

Collapse -
white spots on junk tv
by mads16m37 / February 3, 2009 8:45 AM PST
In reply to: DMD

this was a total waste of time. I will NEVER buy another Samsung product. They sell junk and they do not stand behind their product. I am placing my tv with a 4x8 sign in front of my house for every one to see what kind of junk you sell and how you took my $1600 and this piece of junk did not last 1 1/2 years. Who ever is the head of Samsung they can shove this piece of **** up their ***.
A FORMER CUSTOMER, AND I WILL MAKE SURE EVERYONE I KNOW WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER sAMSUNG PRODUCT

Collapse -
frustrated too
by kingjeff707 / February 10, 2009 1:24 PM PST
In reply to: white spots on junk tv

it is obvious this is a defect. Keep your TV. Maybe Samsung will realize they made a big mistake and offer us some kind of deal on a fix.

I have the same exact problem on a similar age dlp. I am mad I told friends and family to buy Samsung products and that they will eventually get these white spots too.

Collapse -
frustrated too
by vfs0314 / February 20, 2009 8:33 AM PST
In reply to: frustrated too

Same problems happened to me starting last week. It started with two spots, I am up to 9 and many more are flashing. I called Samsung and the rep told me that the part costs $900.00 without labor. My TV is only two years old and out of warranty. Samsung refuses to acknowledge that it is a defect. Very frustrating

Collapse -
white spots
by mads16m37 / February 21, 2009 7:59 AM PST
In reply to: frustrated too

My 50 inch samsung projection tv started with the white spot at 18 months. They started with two, and kept growing until I could not see the picture any more. I contacted Samunng, and the bottom line was screw off, they did not want to know anything. I have been on a different number of technical chat lines and there are hundreds of people out there with the same problem, yet Samsung says this is the first they have heard of this problem. They are full of ****, they refuse to say there is a problem with this T V. THEY SUCK and I will never buy another Samsung product, and I will tell every one I know that Sansung sucks and they do not stand behind there products

Collapse -
White Spots
by Marilyn104 / January 2, 2010 2:06 PM PST

I have the same problem! It started a few days ago....first two now there are 8! They are growing in numbers each night. Has anyone found out anything about this?

Collapse -
white dots! me too!!!!!
by taj3467 / January 3, 2010 10:35 AM PST
In reply to: White Spots

funny....I tried to look it up on the computer thinking " no way will i find anything" and low and behold......everybody has this problem!!! yet samsung and it's affiliates always seem surprised and don't know what it could be???? Mine started a few days ago looking like the little dipper.....then the big dipper.....and after reading....soon the milky way!!!!! come on samsung....fix your problem! yes, it seems mine also is between the warranty ending but less then 3 years. At least send us the part so we can have it fixed.

Collapse -
Samsung DLP white dots on screen
by mwb8 / January 18, 2010 1:23 AM PST

If your having white dots appear on your Samsung DLP TV make sure you call Samsung support at 1-800-726-7864 and tell them about it. I called yesterday and they are sending out a service guy to fix it. Samsung is covering the bill in full. I bought my TV back in Feb. 2007 and is out of warranty. I was relieved when the support person said there would be no charge as I'm sure it is not cheap to fix. It appears Samsung is repairing that generation of TV's. You will need your model and serial number when you call in.

Collapse -
White Spots on DLP
by haughnwj / February 2, 2010 4:05 AM PST

Samsung is aware of the problem and is covering the costs of replacing the defect. It is the DLP chip, or something. The bad news there is a backorder on the chip, and no one at Samsun knows when it will be distributed. This company is a joke, and I will neverbuy another Samsung product again. They make a defective product and it will take at least 6 weeks to fix. Apparently the chip has been on backorder for one month, and they will not comment on when it will be available. This company does not deserve my business any longer, and I would strongly recommend anyone looking at a Samsun product to keep looking.

Collapse -
spots on Samsung TV
by colls1234 / February 13, 2010 11:46 AM PST
In reply to: White Spots on DLP

CHEAP. Why is it there are TV's out there from the 70's with the wooden panels on them that still work but my big screen 50inch flatscreen that should be a more advanced piece of technology didn't even last 2 years?? $1500 down the drain. I will buy never buy from samsung again. A Television should not last 2 years if it was built in 2007...have we not made any improvements? sure we have but the company is too cheap and tried to save a buck...well they lost customers and i will keep sending the company letters untill they fix this problem for free. I encourage you to as well, this is clearly a defect due to cheap labor and parts and should be their responsibility. Cheap ********.The white spots stared with 2 and each day theres like 4 more and its so irritating to watch TV with 25 spots through the picture.

Collapse -
Problem EASILY solved
by ryries / April 21, 2010 5:47 AM PDT
In reply to: White Spots on DLP

Thanks to this forum and Samsung. Customer support was very responsive. Sent out tech who came when he said he would and replaced part AT NO COST.

Collapse -
Samsung TV white spots
by reelwolfe / July 11, 2010 11:39 PM PDT

My 50" DLP Model HLT5076SX/XAA developed white spots (100+) just after 1 year. Samsung said they do not have a white spot issue with my model TV and repair is not covered by their alert. Initially, Samsung told me they would repair my TV, but later reneged. I was quoted a repair cost of between $300 and $600. Samsung's unwillingness to repair these manufacturer's defects is very disappointing. I believe a class action law suit is warranted. I have purchased my last Samsung product. MY WARNING IS: BUYER BEWARE!!

Collapse -
Samsung TV White Dots
by tdogg143 / August 5, 2010 11:42 AM PDT
In reply to: Samsung TV white spots

I have a 56" HLT5676SX/XAA with the same problem. They sent me an email that it was covered but later reneged. This is definately an on-going problem with Samsung and they have failed the consumer. i will never, never buy another Samsung product. i will also tell everyone about their customer service and how bad it is...

Tdogg

Collapse -
Samsung rear projection White dots on screen everywhere
by bdelong77 / August 28, 2010 11:04 AM PDT

I have had the same problem as about 30 others on this thread. I started with one white dot 2 yesterday and now I have 4! I have a 56" rear projection and it was not cheap. The fact that Samsung is not standing behind their product is ridiculous, especially when there is an overwhelming number of consumers having the same exact issue. I certainly don't have $900 to repair as Samsung has quoted or another $2K for another tv!!!!! Class action sounds good to me!

Collapse -
snow in summer
by jagwiz / September 4, 2010 5:23 AM PDT

i have the same exact model and i've called samsung 3x in the last month. They've been telling me the 'six series', which is what we have, has yet to make the repair list...........for the exact same problem as all the other model samsungs on the repair list. Pretty pathetic huh? So, I told them I was going to call them every single day until they repaired it. The CS representative asked if she could note/quote me on that and I said "absolutely." I'll let everyone know if something changes by me harassing them about it.

Collapse -
dlp
by fonnzi / November 14, 2010 3:25 AM PST

i have the same problem with exact tv and was told the same . i intend to call sam tomorrow

Collapse -
White Spots/Samsung
by jzofop / December 16, 2010 11:07 AM PST

Thanks for posting this! I have a Samsung 42 inch DLP TV purchased 12/19/06 & noticed a white dot yesterday. After Googling it I found the posts on this site & was ready to buy another TV as this one is way out of warranty. This is a known issue & my TV qualified to get repaired at no cost. A tech will be calling me in a day to set up a repair. The only hitch was that if this fix (new DMD chip) doesn't fix the issue then I would be responsible for a "trip charge". The phone rep said that the tech should advise me up front what this charge could be & then I decide then if I want them to come out or not. I see you posted this in January 2010. How is the TV now? White spots gone?

Collapse -
Samsung DLP projection tv 52"
by tonydmm2 / August 12, 2011 12:23 PM PDT
In reply to: White Spots

I have the same problem with the white spots on my TV. I've had it for over 3 years, I bought it on close out at circuit city for $1100.

Collapse -
Just checking.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 13, 2011 4:29 AM PDT

Did you notice what others are posting? That is, the model number, what country and the Transaction number. I hope you can finish your post.

Collapse -
white dots
by fonnzi / December 14, 2010 8:39 PM PST
In reply to: white spots on junk tv

to all with white dots , i have a hlt 5076xa w/ 3dadapter , same 2 yrs , got a negative respond from samsung , so i bought the part from j&j international in new jersey , cost 250.00 with core charge w/ shipping a total 291.00total . i was easy fix if you have a service manual , you can get manual online for 16.00 . set

Collapse -
Samsung White Spots
by Marilyn104 / April 21, 2010 6:33 AM PDT
In reply to: DMD

Thanks to this forum and Samsung my Tv has been repaird at no cost. After getting a call tag from Samsung who assured me there would be no cost the repair place tried to tell me there would be a service call charge but the repair was covered. After informing him that Samsung said there would be NO COST to me, he concluded that there would be no charge. Customer support was terrific and when I mentioned this site, they immediately gave me a call tag to have it fixed. Thank YOU!!

M. Martin

Collapse -
Samsung is giving me the run around
by martelt4 / April 27, 2010 1:11 PM PDT
In reply to: Samsung White Spots

VERY disappointed. I have the exact same issue and am getting no HELP! 1700.00 down the toilet. I think I'll put a sign in my front yard too!!!

Collapse -
Same here
by solint / November 5, 2010 9:01 AM PDT

I have the same thing happening to the TV. It started with one, now it's all over the screen. This started last year, and it's getting worse. The TV is barely 3 yrs old. I will never buy another Samsung, and will spread the word about this brand to anyone who wants to listen.

Collapse -
White spots on Samsumg tv model HLT6176SX/XAA
by Bdhooghe / June 27, 2010 3:03 AM PDT
In reply to: Spots...

As read about in many previous posts, my husband and I are experiencing the same issue with our Samsung. We heeded previously written advice and called Samsung regarding the malfunction. Samsung told us that our television is not on the recall list for this problem, but it is the DMD chip and that the would have a service representative contact us within the next 24 hours. With our television, the issue began not quite a week ago. There were about 5 pixels that appeared as a faint blue or white dot. Within days, it covered our entire screen, making the television unable to be used. The dots are also surrounded by a grey or blackened haze. It is ridiculous that Samsung will manufacture a product, several models all having the same issue, yet whomever does their recall list picks and chooses the ones that are available for recall. It is not as though my family has $1800.00 extra to replace this television.

Collapse -
Additional Note to Prior Post
by Bdhooghe / June 27, 2010 3:27 AM PDT

With reading all of the complaints I have read here, along with the phone call that my husband and I made personally, I have decided to report the issue to the BBB. If anyone else would like to do the same, You will be reporting it to:
BBB of New Jersey (Trenton, NJ)
1700 Whitehorse Hamilton Sq. Rd St D-5
Trenton , NJ 08690-3596
Phone: (609)588-0808
Fax: (609)588-0546
Email: info@trenton.bbb.org
Web: http://www.trenton.bbb.org

Collapse -
To Bdhooghe
by DisapointedSamsungCust / June 27, 2010 12:40 PM PDT

Is that where the corporate office is or just where they are registered? Because I am in Texas.

Collapse -
RE: Contacting the BBB
by Bdhooghe / June 30, 2010 4:13 AM PDT
In reply to: To Bdhooghe

When I typed in Samsung, the only one in the USA that takes care of electronics and such was in Illinois. I just got off the phone with Samsung again... This time, they called me regarding my BBB complaint and my warranty now has a one time extension. They are contacting a service center and my television is going to be fixed with no expense out of MY pocket!!!

Collapse -
My HLT6176S model white dots too
by cparkerinvs / December 29, 2010 3:20 AM PST

My 61" DLP started showing white spots within a month of the warranty expiring. I called as everyone on this forum has done and found out the same - my model is not on the "LIST". Pretty much I spent almost $3000.00 for a piece of hulking junk. It basically cost me a grand a year to watch TV. This was an investment for my family, I told Samsung this but all they could tell me was they were sorry. For anyone looking to buy a TV- AVOID Samsung TV's. Samsung doesn't even make DLP's any longer due to the issues and problems. I encourage everyone to make a complaint to the BBB regarding the issues and the lack of assistance and repair service. I read that some were writing in that Samsung was reparing the problems, I don't believe this. If I could I would throw this tv through the window of the Samsung President.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.