Samsung forum

General discussion

White spot on UN46B6000 LED HDTV?

by Kooper113 / June 23, 2010 12:41 AM PDT

Hello everyone,

I own a 6000 series LED HDTV, which I've enjoyed for many things such as for my PC and for playing video games. However I've noticed a sort of spot which has developed on my display.

It's a light spot that is honestly hard to notice when playing games, as it's just a slightly bit lighter than the surrounding area, but still the same color. When put onto a black background you can't see it. However when I'm using the display for my PC, since I'm on static color pages it is much easier to notice. When I get very close to the display I simply can't see it, but from a distance I can. I've tried to include a picture in which you can somewhat see the spot:

http://i47.tinypic.com/2gu9una.jpg

Basically no matter what color is displayed in that blotch area it will be lighter than the color around it. It appears on all my devices, easily recognizable when booting up my Xbox 360 and obviously my PC.

Any idea what it is? How I could fix it? Or will I have to have some sort of repair?

Thanks everyone

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: White spot on UN46B6000 LED HDTV?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: White spot on UN46B6000 LED HDTV?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
White spot on UN46B6000 LED HDTV?
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / June 23, 2010 10:44 AM PDT

Kooper113,

I'm not sure what would be causing that. If the spot was bigger, it might be a screen uniformity issue, but even then, that can be considered normal for screens.

I could suggest having it inspected by a technician, but it'd likely be an out of pocket expense unless it's within the warranty.

Was the area bumped or pushed in at any point?

--HDTech

Collapse -
Responce
by Kooper113 / June 23, 2010 12:51 PM PDT

Absolutely no pushing/bumping has happened with my TV. I've treated this TV like a newborn baby since the day I bought it, the very idea of this being any type of damage due to an outside influence is pretty much impossible.

The spot isn't very large, yes, I've honestly never seen such an issue with an LCD TV myself. I purchased my TV on 1/29/10 at BestBuy, and currently have the GeekSquad Black Tie insurance. What do you feel would be my best option as far as getting it checked out?

Collapse -
Responce
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / June 23, 2010 1:10 PM PDT
In reply to: Responce

Kooper113,

For the first year, I believe all extended warranties go through Samsung, but don't quote me on that. But since you have the coverage, contact the phone number in your documentation for the repair and inquire.

--HDTech

Collapse -
LED 46"
by Kitchener11 / March 3, 2011 12:51 PM PST
In reply to: Responce

I just bought my samsung 46" led six hours ago. When I tested it there is light white spots I'n corners of black screen.

How can this be repaired? Thanks

Collapse -
(NT) Kitchener11,
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / March 4, 2011 10:29 AM PST
In reply to: LED 46"
Collapse -
Whoops.. let's do that again...
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / March 4, 2011 10:33 AM PST

Kitchener11,

There are few remedies to repair this symptom. In most cases, you can adjust it out by normal picture settings (it's usually more defined in the Dynamic setting, and most home users prefer "Standard" or "Movie"). If that doesn't work, you might try working with retailer explaining the situation and requesting an exchange.

While it's rare that it would be overly noticeable when a picture is being sent to the panel, if that's the case, the only option in a service call is to swap out the screen, and I've seen a few posts where that has worked, and a few that it has not. An exchange would probably be the fastest solution.

I am sorry to hear that this is your first impression, but I hope you'll give us a chance and get a panel that works better for you.

--HDTech

Collapse -
LED 46 Inches
by Rambiking / May 28, 2011 7:49 AM PDT

Just purchased the same tv, and I have the same white patches in the corner and center of the screen of dark images as well. What can we do..??

Collapse -
LED and the flashlight effect
by techno-q / May 28, 2011 9:28 AM PDT
In reply to: LED 46 Inches

This problem normally occurs with a new LED TV. The TV emits a light or lighter color at the corners of the screen. As HD_Tech said, set the picture mode to Standard or Movie and lower the backlighting to 5 or 7. The flashlight effect will normally disappear in 2 to 3 weeks. IF, after 3 weeks, the problem is still occurring, your unit will need to be repaired will need to be seen by a technician.

Hope this helps!

Collapse -
"Just purchased the same tv"
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 28, 2011 9:32 AM PDT
This one is easy. Take it back fast and get a good one. Even if that's not possible the lowest warranty I see is 1 year so you're covered.
Bob
Collapse -
Just a few forum tips.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 28, 2011 10:39 AM PDT

1. It's new. Ask the retailer to swap it out or arrange with Samsung for repair.
2. Don't cross post.
3. Don't hide your NEW request in other posts.

Collapse -
(NT) White spot on UN46B6000 LED HDTV?
by user0069 / January 15, 2012 1:10 PM PST
Collapse -
Solution
by usmaniqbal03 / January 15, 2012 7:49 PM PST

Simplest solution is for you to get a warranty
an lcd with dot is crap
Angry

Collapse -
Solution -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / January 16, 2012 7:05 AM PST
In reply to: Solution

usmaniqbal03,

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.