Samsung forum

General discussion

White spot on Samsung DLP HL-S4676S

by vfs0314 / February 10, 2009 6:54 AM PST

A white spot appeared on the TV screen yesterday. It looks very bright, like a dead pixel. The TV is barely 2 years old. Any suggestions how to fix the problem? Is anyone having the same problem?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: White spot on Samsung DLP HL-S4676S
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: White spot on Samsung DLP HL-S4676S
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Repair...
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / February 10, 2009 7:03 AM PST

vfs0314,

Welcome to the forum!

Usuallly these issues require a repair. If it's consistent on all inputs, then the best suggestion I can make is to call service.

--HDTech

Collapse -
samsung white dots dlp hls 4676s
by cbjboo4lif / March 17, 2009 5:31 AM PDT
In reply to: Repair...

All Iam saying is they need to stand behind thier product like microsoft is doing for thier defective oxbox systems. they owed up to thiers

Collapse -
Please read - from HDTech
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / September 4, 2009 11:41 AM PDT
Collapse -
Samsung DLP TV
by tattufreak / February 25, 2010 10:02 AM PST

Hi there, I just saw a white dot on our t.v. about an hour ago and I saw this forum. Unfortunately, the one where you were excepting the first 50 people with this problem was last year. Our t.v. is 3 years old and first the lamp went out, fortunately we fixed it. Now after fixing the lamp, now this with the white spot. Is there anything new that is being done or that you have found out since repairing the t.v.'s of the 50 people that responded? We spent already about $150 on the lamp and then now this with the white spot. I am really hoping there is a GREAT answer to this problem and WHY this is happening with it being only 3 years old. thanks so much!!

Collapse -
sorry forgot to put the model #
by tattufreak / February 25, 2010 10:04 AM PST
In reply to: Samsung DLP TV

Model number HLT-5076SX/XAA

Thanks again!!

Collapse -
Samsung DLP TV
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / February 25, 2010 4:16 PM PST
In reply to: Samsung DLP TV

tattufreak,

Try calling 800-SAMSUNG and ask them if your unit qualifies for a free service if it has white dots.

I can't comment further, as some have posted some threatening comments, but in many cases, people's issues are resolved.

--HDTech

Collapse -
White dot repairs from Sumsung
by JoesTV / November 22, 2010 12:00 AM PST

I just experienced the white dot symdrome on my DLP HLS5066, I contacted Samsung (thanks to your advice). They have agreed to repair the issue free of charge. The call center agent did mention they are only continuing the free service for this issue untill December 31 2010.

Collapse -
white spots
by rudymrnd / November 24, 2010 10:50 PM PST

i have the white dots also .its up to 15 now and about 1 every two or three days. is there a number i can call for help with this particular problem ?im in miami fl .thank you , rudy

Collapse -
white spots
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / November 29, 2010 12:57 PM PST
In reply to: white spots

rudymrnd,

I'm sorry to hear that you're having this issue.

Try calling the Samsung customer service center at 800-SAMSUNG (US).

--HDTech

Collapse -
Same TV, Same Problem, Same Age
by kingjeff707 / February 10, 2009 10:52 AM PST

I have the same model TV, purchased in April 2007.

My TV has the exact same issue, and gets worse each day.

I found online many people have this problem with their 1-2 year old Samsung DLP TV's

Since my 1yr warranty is over, my only thoughts are to check if I bought it with a gold / platinum card, because these typically extend warranty on electronics 1yr past manufacturer date. I've never had to consider such a policy until now.

I'm mad because I've recommended Samsung DLP to friends who have bought them. Now they will probably develop the same issue in 1-2 years. I'm mad because not only of my TV not working, but I've actually sent my friends down a road where they will need to cough up $300+ in 1-2 years.

The problem lies in the mirror assembly and you can find

Samsung Tech could have been honest and told you exactly what the issue is. But maybe his boss tells him to give this canned answer. They receive MANY inquiries about this same exact issue so they DO know EXACTLY what is going wrong. They want you to pay $100 for a tech to tell you even though its so obvious once you know the details.

I understand things break and everything, but you would think in 2007 you could buy a TV that would last for 2 years. THIS IS NOT RIGHT!

Collapse -
continued
by kingjeff707 / February 10, 2009 10:55 AM PST
Collapse -
Good for me , bad for most of you
by kingjeff707 / February 11, 2009 4:24 AM PST
In reply to: continued

I just looked and I had actually bought a 3yr service plan. What a great idea that was. Looks like I must talk to Frys.

Collapse -
white stars
by cbjboo4lif / March 17, 2009 5:24 AM PDT

You may need a 4 yr it want last its a defect

Collapse -
White Spots
by vfs0314 / February 12, 2009 5:03 AM PST
In reply to: continued

Thank you for the tip. I have a question. Is the board something you can replace easily or do you need to call a technician. We are now up to 3 spots, annoying but liveable. The frustrating part is the TV is only 2 years old.

Collapse -
i really do not know
by kingjeff707 / February 12, 2009 1:19 PM PST
In reply to: White Spots

honestly, I do not know.

I will know more soon as the tech is coming to my house and will see what parts need to be replaced, but I am unsure if he will take the most economical ( cheapest ) solution or the easiest solution.

Some places I've heard the mirror part ( $250 or so ) that is bad is unable to be removed from the entire $900 assembly, although you do get a $350 credit for returning your old part. This wounds weird since you can order the parts separately.

My TV has gone from 1 spot to looking like a starry night painting in a week. Theres now at least 20 white spots and more that blink. Its getting worse almost 2x per day.

Collapse -
White dots on samsung tv screen
by dumbmore / February 18, 2009 10:32 AM PST
In reply to: i really do not know

Why are white dots appearing on my tv screen more and more every day and how do I get it fixed?

Collapse -
Frys Denied Warranty
by kingjeff707 / March 17, 2009 5:52 AM PDT
In reply to: i really do not know

OK so my warranty has been denied by Fry's and basically I'm going to get cash or a new tv. It must be too much to fix.

Collapse -
White Spots
by nancran / September 21, 2010 9:13 AM PDT
In reply to: White Spots

Same issue, started about 3 days ago and the TV is only 2.5 yrs old and already had to replace the bulb!! Samsung used to be a reliable name, not so sure now.....

Collapse -
WHITE DOTS WITH IN 2YRS SAMSUNG HLS 4676S
by cbjboo4lif / March 17, 2009 5:19 AM PDT

dont give up keep complaining , they need to know this is a on going problem like i said i purchase the same TV in FEBRUARY 2007 spots appeared MARCH 2009 2 WEEKS AFTER MY 2 YRS ADVANTAGE PLAN EXPIRED wow does that sound familar , IVE HAD IT WITH SAMSUNG THEY dont care.

Collapse -
Update
by kingjeff707 / April 16, 2009 7:27 AM PDT

To the person who is 2 weeks past warranty just tell them that it broke 2 weeks ago but you didn't have a chance to call. It should work!

Also, I ended up getting a Samsung LCD as a replacement for my broken DLP. Always buy the warranty! But, SAMSUNG NEEDS TO TAKE RESPONSIBILITY AND FIX PEOPLES TV FOR FREE! TVS NEED TO LAST MORE THAN 2 YEARS!

Collapse -
Samsung HL-S4676S
by mgrossey / April 16, 2009 1:12 AM PDT

Clearly this is a design issue for this Samsung model. My HL-S456765 is 26 months old and developed the "bright white spot" yesterday evening.

A quick Google search brought up dozens of complaints for this same issue and almost exclusively for Samsung DLP televisions.

The apparent lack of response/help from Samsung suggests to me that they consider their DLP televisons to have an effect "lifespan" of 2 years - clearly unacceptable..!!

Perhaps what is required is a class action lawsuit to at least bring the public's attention to the quality control problems that Samsung appear to have with their DLP televisions.

Very, very dissapointed at the apparent lack of support from Samsung. They should realize that a lot of their products are sold on word-of-mouth recommendation. I for one will be letting Best Buy know of this issue and hope that Best Buy will pass this along to prospective customers of the Samsung DLP brand.

Collapse -
Same problems.....
by matt3681 / April 21, 2009 2:28 AM PDT
In reply to: Samsung HL-S4676S

I have a 56; DLP TV, HLS model, but I am not at home so I cannot provide the exact details...

However, a few weeks ago, a black (dead) pixel appeared. No big deal....

Then a white one....then another, now there are 4 whites and 1 black.

All I have to say is Samsung better not expect a $1000 repair bill on a $1300 TV....

Collapse -
Have you got your dead-pixel problem fixed
by closeups / October 13, 2009 2:07 PM PDT
In reply to: Same problems.....

Have you had Dead-Pixel problem fixed? How much it cost? Who fixed it?
thanks.

Collapse -
The cost of dead pixel
by barnone51 / November 17, 2009 10:14 PM PST

To have this problem fixed I checked it oue it will cost a least $800.00 CD

Collapse -
The cost of dead pixel
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / November 20, 2009 11:16 AM PST
In reply to: The cost of dead pixel

barnone51,

Have you seen the White Dot thread?

--HDTech

Collapse -
Dead Pixel
by barnone51 / November 22, 2009 9:16 AM PST

No I didn't get it fixed,because I was told it would cost $800.00 I only paid $1099.00 for the TV..So I contacted Samsung and they are going to take care of it for me...thay were very prompt I spoke to them one day and the next day someone from Ace Electronics called me and told me they were ordering a part ...

Collapse -
white spots
by frankie111 / April 24, 2009 3:24 PM PDT

I have the same problem and purchased the DLP S4676S 2 years ago. I am going to call Samsung and if I get no results,I will call the Us Consumer Product Safety Commission and Better Business Bureau. I also had to replace the lamp. I googled the spot problem and can't believe how many owners have the same problem. How many will it take to have a recall.I can't imagine Samsung would want to ignore this issue.

Collapse -
Samsung DLP DOTS
by jddvs18 / September 2, 2009 4:29 AM PDT
In reply to: white spots

So after sending in my bill of sale over a week ago and no response i decided to call Samsung back today. I dealt with a defferent rep who stated that the TV is out of Warranty and they are unable to help. The rep further stated that Samsung esitmates that 6% of the units they produce are going to be defective. When i asked for any statistics regarding the white/ gray dot issue the rep told me that NO RECALL has been made at this time. Basically i am SO happy with samsung right now i would not offer them used T.P. They have lost a customer for life and I will NEVER buy another Samsung product AGAIN. If anyone has any other suggestions short of me throwing my DLP out of my 3rd story window let me know......Oh yea.....when i asked to speak to a supervisor they had to create ANOTHER ticket (work order) and he/she is going to call me back withing 24-48 hours. What a JOKE this multi Billion dollar company is!

Collapse -
White spots on samsung dlp tv
by rmiller7551 / July 6, 2009 11:52 AM PDT

I've got the same problem. One spot appears just after my TV turned 2 years old. It stayed that way for a couple months. Then, a couple of weeks ago, the spots just started multiplying daily. I've got 28 spots on my screen now. Samsung's service rep told me: "There's a reason we only guaranteed that your TV would work for a year." So, to Samsung, it appears to be perfectly acceptable that the major components on a $1500 TV are only built to last for a year.

Collapse -
Keep fighting
by vfs0314 / July 7, 2009 1:39 AM PDT

I had the same problem. White spots after 2 years. I filed a complaint with my state attorney general consumer affair department. A week later I received a call from Samsung. They gave me the choice between repairing the TV or getting a cash settlement. I chose the latter and now own a Sony 46" LCD. Keep fighting. They know they are in the wrong.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.