Samsung forum

General discussion

"White screen" on Samsung LED TV

by JohannesMuseth / July 31, 2009 11:04 PM PDT

Hi there. Thank you for taking time to read this.

This morning when I turned on my TV, there was something completely wrong with the picture. It seems to be inverted and very very bright, almost completely white. Same goes for the build-in menu. I attempted to disconnect everything. Reset the picture in the menu. Turn off / on. Nothing helped. Same story no matter if it's Antenna, Xbox360 or DVD. It was fine yesterday.

Does anyone in this forum know what my problem is ? Is it settings ? Is it hardware failure ?

It's just a few weeks old. 40 inches LED tv from Samsung. UE-40B6050.

I have uploaded a picture if you want to see what it looks like..
http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/1615/samsungled.jpg

Regards Johannes Museth - Denmark
Admin@sharkmeat.dk

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: "White screen" on Samsung LED TV
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: "White screen" on Samsung LED TV
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
White screen - "game over", I'm afraid....
by lavangen / August 2, 2009 10:34 AM PDT

I experienced EXACTLY the same problem with my one week old 46B8050

I had to send mine to a service shop - and it turns out to be a production failure.

There are two IC's on the mainboard, which for cooling reasons are factory covered with a small drop of silicone. That is - they are SUPPOSED to be covered with silicone. On my TV - they had missed one of the IC's by some millimetres - and that probably caused the IC to overheat - which in turn caused the main controller board to malfunction.

Now I have been told that the entire panel will have to be replaced - and I am also told that for my 8-series this has to be ordered from abroad (dont know which country) - and the supplier told the service shop that delivery time on this was one month!!

I tried to get an RMA - and have a new TV instead of waiting one month - but Samsung Norway insisted that a new panel had to be ordered. And even though the supplier confirmed a one month delivery time - Samsung said that the panel had to be ordered anyway, an they would not accept an RMA request until two weeks had passed without the panel arriving the service shop. Wednesday two weeks has passed since the service shop ordered new panel - and Samsung will not accept an RMA request before that.. And then Samsung will take one more week to process the RMA, and finally it will take at least another week shipping the new TV to me.

Now I already have waited one month since sending the TV to the service shop, and it will take at least two more weeks before I get the TV back.

This is not good for Samsung's customer treatment reputation !!!

Not only am I without TV for one and a half month - but during this period I also have to pay Canal Digital subscription for programmes which I because of Samsung can not view !!

Regards
Asgeir Loekken
Norway

Collapse -
Hi again
by JohannesMuseth / August 2, 2009 8:50 PM PDT

Hi again. Thank you for sharing your experience.

I guess I better send it to the repair shop and prepare myself for a long break without tv... Sad

Collapse -
"White screen" on Samsung LED TV
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / August 3, 2009 8:20 AM PDT

JohannesMuseth,

I know this sounds cliche', but this is the first I've seen of this issue at all. I definitely recommend having the unit serviced.

--HDTech

Collapse -
White Screen
by TonyM_97 / May 29, 2012 3:21 AM PDT

Hi HD_Tech, I too am experiencing a similar type of problem. I have a LE37A456C2D, and had it plugged it watching TV, when all of a sudden the screen turned light white. The warantee has expired, and unsure what to do! Help?!

Collapse -
Italian Model?
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / May 29, 2012 3:34 AM PDT
In reply to: White Screen

TonyM_97,

Glad to have you drop by. But just so you know, this forum is meant to mainly support US products and customers. And from what I can tell, this model is for Italy. (Correct me if I'm wrong.) So while I can't help you directly, if you want Samsung help, here's the Samsung Italy portal for support on that product: http://www.samsung.com/it/support/model/LE37A456C2DXXC

But we got a nice little community here, and they might have a few other suggestions to help you out.

Hope this helps you!

-- HD Tech

Collapse -
Samsung 6000 LED
by DJENDLESS / January 4, 2013 6:30 AM PST
In reply to: Italian Model?

Hi,

My picture looks the same and has been that way since what appeared to be an over heating during the summer 2012. Menu is faint but visible I have had TV since 2010 and it just wigged out. It appears salvageable Can someone help me with this repair process. I'm based in the DC Metro area.

Collapse -
Re: Samsung 6000 LED
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / January 7, 2013 10:03 AM PST
In reply to: Samsung 6000 LED
Collapse -
Samsung LED TV screen goes white!
by kristinaengcau84 / December 31, 2013 2:11 PM PST

Dear samsung,

Im currently experiencing this problem. I find its very inconvenient for a mother of 2 kids to send this tv to the service center. Im so disappointed with samsung right now. I purchased this tv on September 2012.

I hope that I could repair it on my own :((((

disappointed samsung products customer from Malaysia..

Collapse -
White screen on samsung led tv
by stevemcfall2 / November 16, 2009 2:55 AM PST

Hello i have experienced the white screen tv as well, i got mine as part of a deal from a mobile phone company and the tv worked perfectly for a couple of days. The white screen then appeared and the tv rendered no good at all as it was part of a deal i just presumed they were a poor batch. I put the tv away and have now just decided to try it again, the tv worked perfectly for one day and now is back to the white screen, could anybody advise me how and where to have it fixed please.

Regards

Steve

Collapse -
white screen samsung le19r86b
by robgillespie84 / March 1, 2010 5:19 AM PST

hi, i have a samsung le19r86b, and the screen is just bright white. i get sound when i switch it on but just a white screen.

heard about this before? is it correctable? and more importantly is it expensive?

Thanks

Collapse -
Samsung TV white screen
by Liza Carpenter / June 7, 2010 12:53 PM PDT

Johannes-
The same thing just happened to me! Did Samsung fix your TV eventually?
Liza Palo Alto, CA

Collapse -
Sorry that I never replied.
by JohannesMuseth / July 30, 2010 9:12 PM PDT

Hi there. Sorry that I never replied.

I contacted samsung. They first offered me a completely new TV. I refused because I could not get it transported to and from the shop again. ( over 100km drive and I could not get a car ). Then they sent a repairman that replaced the entire curcuit board in the TV. He told me that it was a production error. They didn't charge me anything.

Collapse -
Samsung LCD TV turning bright white
by VSAGRANI79 / May 7, 2011 8:11 AM PDT

My TV has gone white as well, its only 2 freakin years old. Call Samsung and they say there is no reported problems like this for my model. Anyone get their's to work after taking it in to a repair shop? My model # is LN46A630M1FXZA

Collapse -
Any updates?
by hdramman / November 22, 2012 12:20 AM PST

I have the same model ln46a630m and a simular problem. Did you have any luck getting working again? I bought another tv (not a samsung!) but this one is only 4 years old and I want to give it to my son if I can get it fixed.

Collapse -
Exact Same Problem
by gregbonner / November 28, 2010 4:36 AM PST

We are currently experiencing the same think. We have an extended service pland and we are being told that the entire screen will have to be replaced.

Collapse -
White screen problem with Samsung
by Glauco_Ruesga / February 20, 2012 12:59 AM PST

Had the same problem with my Samsung LCD TV. Worked fine until it was outside of warranty, then the screen went all white. Don't bother trying to get Samsung to cover the cost of repair: they won't do it, even though they know they created a defective set.
The representative I spoke with via chat claimed that Samsung does not follow third party websites. This sounds like a company line. If they followed these websites, they'd know they had a problem with their sets.
Caveat emptor! That was the first and last Samsung problem I will ever buy.

Collapse -
White Screen
by dturchi / June 25, 2012 10:33 AM PDT

The same thing has happened to my Samsung TV. Model code LN32A450C1DXZA. Please help!

Collapse -
Re: White Screen on LN32A450C1DXZA
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / June 26, 2012 1:11 AM PDT

dturchi,

I'm very sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused you. If you can turn on your TV, please press the menu button. If the menu shows up, then it's not an issue with the TV but a source. If the menu doesn't show up, then the TV will need servicing. Here's the thread where you can find information on that setting that up: http://forums.cnet.com/7723-13973_102-542437/service-issues-click-here-for-help/

-- HD Tech

Collapse -
Same problem. Same model
by Qu1lt / July 9, 2012 12:23 PM PDT

We have the same problem with the same model. I have had it serviced 3 times and the last time the technician told me it would be cheaper to buy a new one. Very very frustrated. This tv was purchased in 2008 and has only been used about 75 times since it is at a vacation house. What can Samsung do about this problem?

Collapse -
Can a get a transaction number?
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / July 10, 2012 12:26 AM PDT

Qu1lt,

Very sorry about your experience thus far. Any chance that you have any transactions numbers from the past times when you set up service with Samsung?

-- HD Tech

Collapse -
transaction number
by Qu1lt / July 10, 2012 7:10 AM PDT

LTK56401302875X. That was the last one. I do not have prior ones. We were always asked to do the Menu boogie and then get service which we did at Blue Hen Electronics in Delaware- a certified technician. But this TV has been broken more than it has been on.

Collapse -
Re: Transaction Number
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / July 11, 2012 12:29 AM PDT
In reply to: transaction number
Collapse -
white screen on Samsung led tv
by winkeljohn78 / June 30, 2013 2:50 PM PDT

I'm in the need of assistance. I purchased a Samsung led 46" tv, it went bad 6 months after the factory warranty went out. Thankfully we purchased a extended warranty. It had been an open model & the cost to repair it would cost more than a new one. So we had that choice of replacing it with another Samsung or another brand. We unfortunately chose to get another Samsung 46" LED. This time instead of screen going black & sizzling the screen went white. You can still see the picture is there including the menu, just very faded with no color. The previous TV had 5 yr warranty, but it didn't transfer to new TV. I didn't have the money to buy another warranty at the time. This time I got one straight out of the box. I wish I had seen Samsung had production issues because less than 6 months from the factory warranty expiring the white screen. This is the info from my TV for anyone that might be able to help me. Model Code: UN46D6000SFXZA Version No: CN03 S/N: Z2ZC3CABA03324V it was made Oct 2011.
I have seen a 55" Samsung TV made in 2012 for $450 at a pawn shop. I really don't have money to waste with family of 5, living paycheck to paycheck at the moment & still paying for this TV. I am mechanical & familiar with repairing electronics. If someone could tell me what circuit board needed replaced. Or tell me I needed to figure on just junking it because the repair would cost more than it was worth I would appreciate it. A year ago it was worth $1100 now? Please any feedback would be appreciated.

Sincerely,
Christopher W.

Collapse -
White screen on my new tv
by Appletreeco / July 16, 2013 3:54 PM PDT

I have been given an led Samsung tv as a gift and so do not have receipts or other proof of purchase so no warranty! It was working fine for a couple of months then yesterday the screen slowly started to go white I thought it was my tv network but on DVD and Xbox the same problem. If I turn my tv off and on it seems to go back to normal for about 5 seconds then slowly fade to white, I can still see the menu etc but not very well! Is there anyway I can fix this myself or get Samsung to do something about their faulty TVs'!? If it is a production error that is happening a lot I feel like there must be some way they should take responsibility whether we have a warranty etc. any ideas on how I can fix this!?? Or get help . Model number LA37A550P1RXRD

Collapse -
samsung tv screen turns white
by NoSamsung2014 / January 12, 2014 10:40 AM PST

I am currently experiencing the same problem on my 32 in smart Samsung tv now. It is so sad that Samsung will not do a recall or accept responsibility for defective product and they are passing the pain, burden and the cost onto their consumers. In my viewpoint this is not only bad but morally insensitive. Mine tv just passed 3weeks out of warranty and unfortunately samsung is asking me to pay cost of repair. Really sad. I am a big fan of Samsung products. My household has 3 samsung tv's, 3pm samsung phones, 2hrs samsung tablets, 2 samsung laptops.

I am getting frustrated at this point.

Collapse -
Quick do this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 12, 2014 10:49 AM PST

In the USA we often get 3 more months of warranty when we register. But 32 inch sets are not serviced in the home which can upset some so if you are in the USA, why not get it done?
Bob

Collapse -
Found a fix
by rickd95051 / October 2, 2014 9:38 AM PDT
In reply to: Quick do this.

I took my Samsung LN37A550P3FXZA to a TV shop. They found a broken transistor on the TCOM board. They said the part is not identified on the schematic, so the entire board needs to be replaced. $60 for the dianostic, 160 for the board and installation. Hope it works.

Collapse -
Thanks. My advice is now out of date.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 2, 2014 10:47 AM PDT
In reply to: Found a fix

The deal has changed. Thanks for the update.

Given this thread is 1888 days old, it's now closed for that and being so out of date.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.