Samsung forum

General discussion

White dots on screen of Samsung DLP televisions

by drelledge / January 11, 2010 11:08 AM PST

I recently saw the announcement of Samsung's special offering to fix Samsung DLP tv with white dots on screen. I am one of the customers with the white dot problem and am very interested in having my 50" Samsung DLP fixed by Samsung. I would like to know the process for achieving this as soon as it becomes available.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: White dots on screen of Samsung DLP televisions
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: White dots on screen of Samsung DLP televisions
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
White dots on screen of Samsung DLP televisions
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / January 11, 2010 1:17 PM PST
Collapse -
White Dots-Not getting anywhere
by tc1210 / January 20, 2010 8:00 AM PST

I followed your directions and contacted Samsung and was given transaction number 4006024549. So far Samsung has gone above and beyond and all reps have been very helpful and familiar with the problem with the white dots. My trouble is on the service end. The local repair company, they are the only one in our area, keeps telling me the DLP chip needed to correct this problem is back ordered and and they don't know when it is going to come in even though on our initial call they said it would be here on January 15th. Since then they have no idea. I have called Samsung to ask if they are having the same issue with ALL that are needing this chip and they say that their records show this chip is "back ordered" with no ETA. Meanwhile more and more white dots are appearing. What can I do? Thanks for all you are doing.

Collapse -
Updated forum
by gunnohd / January 16, 2011 3:20 AM PST

HD_Tech, as the forum you are linking is locked and a year old, how would you suggest people with problems now proceed? In one of your forums you state to fill out a repair request form, but that states that the customer is responsible for all repairs? Is Samsung very aware of this problem now as it is an ongoing one for over a year now?

Collapse -
Samsung DLP TV - Poor product, even worse support
by dogdaysman / January 31, 2010 12:18 PM PST

I bought a 56 inch Samsung DLP TV in September 2003. I also purchased a four year extended warranty. Total cost came to $5,000. During the first two years the TV was in storage about 6 months and wasn't used. I had the color wheel repaired once under warranty and had several times where the TV did not seem to operate properly.

Soon after the warranty expired, I had the white dot problem. The TV would shut down or go blank on its own. I contacted Samsung - they said "it is out of warranty, we cannot do anything". I contacted Samsung's executive customer relations department and ask if they could help with the repair. They refused. I did not want to do it myself because the repairman I spoke with said it was either the light engine or DSP board and was not worth replacing since in his experience the product was likely to fail again in a year.

I contacted the store that sold me the TV (Magnolia HiFi) - they refused to help or contact Samsing to complain about the product.

Samsung took my complaints and enrolled me in their email program to alert me to their products - this was pretty insulting.

As a last resort and because I had never been contacted by anyone at Samsung in response to my complaints over a 6 month period, I called samsung once more. Guess what? The TV had been the subject of two recalls, one of which would likely have fixed the problem. No one at Samsung ever mentioned this to me during the previous 3-5 calls I made to them.

Too late for me as I had already disposed of the TV.

But, not too late for you - I will never buy another Samsung product again.

Collapse -
White dots and bad lamp
by srandaz1 / August 22, 2010 11:23 AM PDT

My DLP is 3 years old last year I had to replace the lamp $220. Now I have 42 white dots a week ago only 1 white dot. After further research Samsung has had 2 recalls for these reasons. I was never notified and now my warrenty is expired. I am now in the process of reporting my issue to the Better Business Bureau along with a copy of the bills I have paid so far. I encourage all of you that has gone through what I have to do the same. This is just pure bad business!

Collapse -
by anebt / August 23, 2010 6:30 AM PDT

A repairman just fixed mine. Samsung now pays for parts and labor.

The chip is filled with thousands of small square mirrors that tilt 15 degrees up to -15 degrees down. The color wheel reflects upon these mirrors as they tilt. A tilt all the way up or all the way down produces white or black pixels. He also said that the problem is not in the mirror arrangement itself, but on a bad batch of chips that overheated the mirrors, preventing them from getting out of the extreme tilt angles.

Collapse -
White Dots just started!
by jimwhidden / August 31, 2010 9:50 AM PDT

My two year old 50" Samsung DLP just started with the white dots. Having read several postings for the past hour, I see that this is not a new problem! I am very interested in your support as the problem is growing rapidly. It started about two weeks ago and we now have over 30 dots.

Model # HLT5076SX/XAA
Serial # AHFM3CMP506533H
Version # PH01

Please advise as to what my next step is in getting this repaired. It sounds like Samsung has discovered what the problem is and is supporting your customers. Thanks in advance for helping me. It's an important time of year. Go Rays! (I hope that baseball comment does not go against me!)

Thanks again,

Jim Whidden

Collapse -
I have white dots also....
by delta108 / December 29, 2010 7:53 AM PST

Hello to all,
I have a 2.5 year old HLT6176S 61" DLP that has just started with the white dots. I saw the previous posts in 2009 on the issue and contacted the Samsung Service center. I was told by two service reps that my model is not covered by the repair. My question since this is obviously an ongoing problem with the DLP TV's is why are some models covered and some not. Any help would be appreciated.

Collapse -
67 Inch Samsung DLP
by irritated1 / January 2, 2011 4:05 AM PST

We just started having the same problem and I was told the same thing. "No problems noted in that model". They gave me a service repair number. I will continue to research or contact BBB as it is obvious that they are well aware of a problem.

Collapse -
by tv1251 / January 19, 2011 2:53 AM PST

its not about the model number, its about the serial number. try and see if they can look it up that way. this is what happened to me, and a samsung contractor just left today replacing the chip. if that still doesn't work then keep being persistent, i guess it may depend on the person on the other line as well. best of luck.

Collapse -
by tv1251 / January 19, 2011 2:56 AM PST

ask them to check your serial number and tell them its a DLP chip problem. best of luck.

Collapse -
by tv1251 / January 19, 2011 2:49 AM PST

hi there! i have the samsung 46" DLP ive been researching the net for weeks wondering why so many people are having the same problems with the dots. if you haven't heard already, the dots are actually burnt out pixels from the dlp chip inside these specific tv's. I had to call Samsung multiple times, but when you do , ask them to check your serial number. Once they checked it, they saw that it was an issue with the DLP chip and sent it out a licensed contractor. He showed me the chip with the dead pixels on the mirror inside. once he replaced it, the tv is good as new! He said he's replaced it many times, and its just an issue with the chip.

im not saying that everyone's serial number will qualify, but the chip is clearly the cause of the problem. hope everyone who has this problem qualifies finds relief. best of luck!

Collapse -
by bettinabaker / March 3, 2011 3:06 AM PST

Was your tv still under warranty?

Collapse -
by tv1251 / March 3, 2011 5:04 AM PST
In reply to: Warranty

no it was not, i bought it three years ago.

Collapse -
by bettinabaker / March 3, 2011 12:50 PM PST
In reply to: warranty...

ok, I will try again.

Collapse -
White Dots Here. Samsung Support Not Consistent.
by jlzimmerman75 / April 19, 2011 11:39 AM PDT

I wanted to post on the big White Dot Thread but it is now closed.

Collapse -
Just a tip.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 19, 2011 11:43 AM PDT

Yes, they are inconsistent but look at the posts where people succeeded. TIP? Follow their example by posting along with your transaction number.

Collapse -
Yes, good tip.
by jlzimmerman75 / April 19, 2011 11:50 PM PDT
In reply to: Just a tip.

I should have posted my info in the previous post. Thanks.

Collapse -
White Out
by solcat18 / May 21, 2011 12:28 PM PDT

Ours started a few weeks goes downhill fast!

Took photos, and is worse each day.

If you watch a 'Space' movie, you will have more stars than anyone.

For those that have had this repaired, how long is it going to last this time?

Collapse -
DMD chip
by solcat18 / May 23, 2011 2:32 AM PDT
In reply to: White Out

Transaction # 5001349239

Model HLT5676SX / XAA

Serial # AHDZ3CKPBO1884P

Phoned to Samsung 1-800-726-7864

Talked with Landon...

"They are having issues with this problem" (white dots).

"Unfoturnatly this model is not covered"

Asked to speak to a supervisor....Rashd...excecutive supervisor.

New service # 4008283303

Lakes Electronics is coming out... we will see how it is handled.

Always ask to speak to supervisor if no help from 1st contact.

Collapse -
(NT) Not good service
by solcat18 / May 23, 2011 4:33 AM PDT
In reply to: DMD chip
Collapse -
Not good service
by solcat18 / May 23, 2011 4:37 AM PDT
In reply to: DMD chip

It will cost me $500 to have mine repaired, so much for great service.

"Oh, yours is not covered under the replacement program."

Was I some fool for not buying the correct model ?

Collapse -
I can't tell
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 23, 2011 4:54 AM PDT
In reply to: Not good service

If you had it escalated by the Samsung Ambassador here.

Collapse -
by solcat18 / May 23, 2011 2:09 PM PDT
In reply to: I can't tell

Have not done that, how do I contact them ?

I don't see myself paying $500 to fix this after such short life.

Collapse -
Already escalated....
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / May 24, 2011 1:56 AM PDT
In reply to: No

Collapse -
Same Issue... Samsung says White Dot issue is chargable...
by mksettle / May 24, 2011 6:28 AM PDT
In reply to: Already escalated....

I have a 50" DLP Samsung TV. When I called into Samsung, they told me my model was not covered.
Could you also pass my ticket info along to try to get resolution for me. It is much appreciated!
Ticket # 4008253944
TV Model # is HLT5076SX/XAA
Serial # is AHFM3CMP601297B

Thank You so Very MUCH!

Collapse -
Same Issue... Samsung says White Dot issue is chargable...
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / May 24, 2011 8:23 AM PDT

Collapse -
white dot issue
by ewade84 / August 25, 2011 2:48 AM PDT

i need help i called 1800samsung and they told me they cannot help me fix this problem that i have with my tv. i see on here that everyone that has the same problem as me is getting the problem fixed for free. i need help can someone please give me a number or let me know who i need to contact to get help please. I didn't get a trans# or anything from the rep i spoke with..... HELP PLEASE!! Model number-HL-T5076S Model code- HLT5076SXIXAA

Collapse -
Call again and ask for that Transaction Number.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 25, 2011 3:27 AM PDT
In reply to: white dot issue

Sometimes you have to ask. Just offering this as a tip to speed things along.

Collapse -
White dot issue with my samsung HELP!!!
by ewade84 / August 29, 2011 5:15 AM PDT

Okay, so, I have read from many of these posts there are a lot of people that have the same problem as me with the white dot issue on the tv screen. I called 1-800-SAMSUNG and spoke the a rep. name Ricky. He stated to me that the model number that I have is not covered for free. I had advised him that there was a lot of people on this site with the same model number that has gotten there tv fixed with no charge....SO WHATS THE DEAL on why he told me mine is not covered. Ricky the rep just gave me a third party person to call, and that third party person is going to charge me an arm and leg to fix the problem... What is it that I need to do to get my tv fixed where I don't have to come out of my own pocket to get it fixed, due to samsug hardware malfunction that is not my fault. Well, someone please let me know what it is that I need to do to get this situation taken care of.. Who is it that I need to call or talk to since the reps at 1-800-SAMSUNG is not able to help me...

Model- HL-T5076S
Model code - HLT5076SXIXAA
S/N - AHFM3CKQ200854D
Transaction# -2108779564

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.