Samsung

General discussion

White Dots on Samsung DLP- Samsung will do nothing to help!

by lynnron / June 16, 2011 3:39 AM PDT

Our Samsung DLP Tv recently developed a white dot in the upper right hand corned of the set. Didnt think much about it until the dots began multiplying. we now have what looks like hundreds all over the 46" screen. Not to mention we have had to also replace the bulb twice and the set is just shy of 4yrs old.
I called samsung to see if there was something they could do as I have been reading the posts on here and most have had some sucess having this fixed.
I was informed by (James) that there had been a recall on this issue that has since expired as of Dec 31, 2010. There was nothing he could do to have this issue fixed and I would have to have the repair done at my expense.
Before I was even aware that this was a wide spread issue we went out and purchased a brand new TV as I figured there was nothing that could be done.
To now find out there was a free fix that has now supposedley "expired" is disappointing.
Is there anything else I can do?
We have a file with Samsung 2103456038.
Anyone have any suggestions?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: White Dots on Samsung DLP- Samsung will do nothing to help!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: White Dots on Samsung DLP- Samsung will do nothing to help!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
white dots also
by Mikeeeeeb / June 16, 2011 5:14 AM PDT

Great - ,I just called samsung and they scheduled service. Wouldnt tell me cost. I wont let repair person to my house until I get estimate.

Collapse -
Ouch!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 16, 2011 5:28 AM PDT
In reply to: white dots also

How could they give a repair estimate without seeing the set?

I can't get repair estimates on my car without them seeing it either!
Bob

Collapse -
recall?
by Mikeeeeeb / June 16, 2011 7:55 AM PDT

I am going to contact samsung on this. I was never notified of any recall, and had my tv registered. I got a quote today for 340 plus tax to fix it.

Collapse -
Remember that quotes on things you can't see
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 16, 2011 8:01 AM PDT
In reply to: recall?

Must be the worst case quote. In many states you can't exceed the estimate so if some one won't allow the inspection you would high ball it.
Bob

Collapse -
recall? -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / June 16, 2011 9:43 AM PDT
In reply to: recall?

Mikeeeeeb,

Collapse -
Recall?
by lynnron / June 16, 2011 11:42 AM PDT
In reply to: recall? -

I have a file # 2103456038 and I was the one who was told there was a recall on the white dots issue that expired Dec 31, 2010.
I dont nderstand how this can be? The customer service rep (James) told me there was nothing he could do for me.

Can you maybe help?

Collapse -
Recall? -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / June 16, 2011 12:02 PM PDT
In reply to: Recall?

lynnron,

Collapse -
Recall?
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / June 17, 2011 2:40 AM PDT

lynnron,

Collapse -
Recall
by lynnron / June 17, 2011 8:56 AM PDT

No I am not a US Customer, I am in Canada. Is there still any way you can help with this?

Collapse -
Are you able to help?
by lynnron / June 20, 2011 7:15 AM PDT

So seeing I am not a US customer is there any way to still help me out here?

Collapse -
Are you able to help?
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / June 21, 2011 1:54 AM PDT
In reply to: Are you able to help?

lynnron,

Collapse -
Happy to Report....
by lynnron / June 21, 2011 3:32 AM PDT
In reply to: Are you able to help?

Well I am happy to report that Samsung Canada has called and they have authorized a one time fix at no cost to me for the white dot problem.
Thank you so much for the help. This def has renewed my faith in your product and honestly despite this issue we had remained faithful to the brand and purchased another samsung television when i believed this could not be fixed.
Again thank you for all the help and support. Its nice to know there is someone listening and willing to go the extra mile. Blush

Collapse -
Happy to Report....
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / June 21, 2011 3:44 AM PDT
In reply to: Happy to Report....

lynnron,

Collapse -
tv fixed
by Mikeeeeeb / June 21, 2011 11:13 PM PDT

Samsung fixed my tv this week w/o charge. They said the recall was on differant sets, but they still fixed mine. Thanks Samsung!

Collapse -
My Samsung DLP has also hundreds of dots.
by mojoman123456 / July 5, 2011 4:21 AM PDT

HDTech,

My Samsung DLP has also hundreds of dots. The warranty expired (got it from Amazon). I see many others have the same problem. Samsung already once had to fix my TV because the motherboard was broken. Could you please help me and let me know how I should proceed? I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you.

Collapse -
Got transaction number
by mojoman123456 / July 5, 2011 4:57 AM PDT

HD Tech,

I just left you a message a few minutes ago. I then suddenly realized that you told people to get a transaction number from Samsung.. So I called 1800samsung and told them about my problems. They gave me a phone number of some service people I should contact to get it fixed but said I have to pay for it. My transaction number is: 2013727190. I was thus wondering if you could help me with this as I see others got this fixed for free. I live in Massachusetts. Thank you.

Collapse -
Got transaction number
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / July 5, 2011 6:31 AM PDT
In reply to: Got transaction number

mojoman123456,

Collapse -
THANK YOU
by mojoman123456 / July 5, 2011 6:43 AM PDT

HDTech,

thank you so much for your quick reply! Let's hope for the best!
I will keep you posted.

Collapse -
Review by service managers
by mojoman123456 / July 7, 2011 4:10 AM PDT

HDTech,

I was just wondering if you already heard something from the service managers who review the situation since they haven't contacted me yet.
My transaction number is: 2013727190

Thank you.

Collapse -
Review by service managers
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / July 7, 2011 5:18 AM PDT

mojoman123456,

Collapse -
Service manager just called
by mojoman123456 / July 7, 2011 6:56 AM PDT

HDTech,

a service manager just called me and said they will fix the white dot problem free of charge! That's fantastic news! Now I can finally watch TV again! I really do appreciate your help. Samsung's customer service is great.

Again, thank you very much!

Collapse -
Service manager just called
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / July 13, 2011 8:06 AM PDT

mojoman123456,

Collapse -
Oh no !
by Jim0628 / June 18, 2011 2:39 AM PDT

The dreaded white dot showed up on my screen last night on my 4 yr old Samsung 51 inch DLP. 3 bulbs later and now the dot ... I'm am totally disgusted with Samsung now. They will do nothing about this ?

Collapse -
Can I ask?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 18, 2011 2:45 AM PDT
In reply to: Oh no !

Why aren't you disgusted with the company that make the failing part?

Anyhow, do try getting it fixed as hundreds others have (see this forum.)
Bob

Collapse -
you may ask ! :o)
by Jim0628 / June 18, 2011 10:45 AM PDT
In reply to: Can I ask?

Of course I'm disgusted with the manfacturer of the part ...but it's Samsung that chose that manfacturer and dosen't seem to want to right the wrong with what I've read on here. Not to mention 3 bulbs in 4 yrs ... and what else is on the horizon for going wrong with this TV ?

Collapse -
About that choice.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 19, 2011 1:23 AM PDT
In reply to: you may ask ! :o)

Having been in such groups making such choices you are presented with "data" about life span and much more. If the maker makes a mistake or fibs and hopes to correct a flaw in production then you may not know that.

If you don't want to suffer the issues of new technology the only hope is to not accept such or buy such!

As to what's on the horizon that's simple. Beyond the known bulbs and chip, capacitors and fans should fail.

I wonder if you want the old days of 20 year sets?
Bob

Collapse -
Bob !
by Jim0628 / June 19, 2011 6:33 AM PDT
In reply to: About that choice.

If i didn't know better I'd say you must be the CEO of Samsung ! I didn't pay 1500 dollars for todays technology to be so flawed as many others have stated on here. If i was the only one complaining I could see you justifications .. but I am one of 100's on here and most likely thousands across the country. They need to step up to the plate and make good here ...

Collapse -
Did you see they have? And did you see what folk did?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 19, 2011 12:14 PM PDT
In reply to: Bob !

Please top post your story, issue and that all important transaction number. And keep in mind that some are not after a repair but have other goals. I don't have a good answer for them.
Bob

Collapse -
Making good....
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / June 21, 2011 1:56 AM PDT
In reply to: Bob !

Jim0628,

Collapse -
Samsung_HD_Tech -
by Jim0628 / June 21, 2011 10:58 AM PDT
In reply to: Making good....

Boy ... if there is anything you can do for me we would be FOREVER grateful ... I will get back to you!

THANKS for reaching out ! Jim

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

CNET Magazine

The summer issue is here!

In the latest edition of our quarterly magazine, we look at how you can spend your summer getting fit and having fun. Pick up a copy on newsstands today or order it now.