Samsung forum

white dots on samsung dlp

by jbmile9 / August 24, 2012 11:23 AM PDT

have a 67 inch samsung dlp model # hlt6756wx/xaa operating system pf01 bought from costco in 08.white dots have appeared so i went online to find out if this was a problem others were experiencing.i found out it is and that it is a problem with the chipset and that it is a defect that samsung is covering.called cust. svc. and was told my model is not covered yet because there haven't been enough complaints yet.i also read online that this mod. has been covered and that i should ask to talk to someone in e.i.c..i think it sucks that they have sold a 3000. tv with a defective part and they do everything to avoid fixing it or to make people jump thru hoops instead of just doing the right thing.i will never buy samsung again and will advise friends and family to do the same.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: white dots on samsung dlp
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: white dots on samsung dlp
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Be sure to research this one.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 24, 2012 11:31 AM PDT
Collapse -
thank you for the repair link
by jbmile9 / August 24, 2012 11:48 AM PDT

going to try to call their ecs dept tomorrow to see if they will fix it but if not i will definitely fix it myself using that link as it looks no more difficult than replacing the bulb.

Collapse -
by dlpwoes12345 / September 6, 2012 3:11 AM PDT

So am I correct in stating that the same TI chip is used in all of these DLPs, but only certain models using the same TI chip are covered?

Collapse -
Not the same.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 6, 2012 3:17 AM PDT
In reply to: Question

There are a few Ti Chips. There are also versions of the same chip where Ti did something to improve the hinge lifespan but for this conversation you must get the right Ti DLP DMD chip. Here's a starting point where you can see if your set is there.

There are also videos on youtube and that site to show what you are getting into. It's something I expect an one year technician to do with ease.

Collapse -
same chip
by dlpwoes12345 / September 6, 2012 3:56 AM PDT
In reply to: Not the same.

Right, but the same chip is used in the HLT5076 series as well; I thought those models have been covered?

Collapse -
I can't check this out.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 6, 2012 3:59 AM PDT
In reply to: same chip

Since I can't see the board models I won't be able to do any checking. You may want to clarify what you mean by "covered?" There were some models that had earlier than expected DMD failures but that's years ago and is ancient history so you can't be asking about any out of warranty extension but must be asking if anyone covered what chips go in what boards.

Collapse -
Board models
by dlpwoes12345 / September 6, 2012 4:04 AM PDT

I thought there was a settlement for the XX76 (same dlp chip) for the white dot problem. Since they use the same chips, then it would make sense if the XX76 was covered that the XX87 would be. But I was wrong; the only settlement for the XX76 was for a shadow problem, not the white dot problem.
Collapse -
If you need to match chips and boards.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 6, 2012 4:12 AM PDT
In reply to: Board models

I'd ask for that information. After all these posts, I'm losing track of where you are now.

Collapse -
Samsung not doing right thing - white dots HLT6756WX/XAA
by sheriff5150 / September 6, 2012 3:09 AM PDT

I too bought this TV at Costco - I believe in 2007. Same model number. I have the white dot issue that is documented all over the interenet and Samsung even did a recall on some models. For some reason this model was not included and my belief is they only recall based on number of complaints and not knowledge of a faulty part. So since this issue may just be coming up with this model, they are saying its wear and tear - - although there are multiple issues at the 2 - 3 year mark with this same model. It really is a shame. I also found an article on seven on your side where a family had the white dot issue on a TV that was not covered with the recall, but since seven on your side was involved they took care of it. How is that fair - to randomly cover who you want. I intend to spread the word that Samsung stands behind the belief that you should expect their products to fail around 5 years - that is wear and tear. It would be nice if that were communicated to the consumer when they buy their product. I don't think anyone would buy their TVs if they knew that Samsung is telling people that its not uncommon for white dots to riddle your $3K TV around 5 years - that is wear and tear and you need to pay to get it fixed. They surely wouldn't sell much of anything if the truth was out. Its really disappointing that they treat customers this way when the problem is highly documented across the internet. How can it be a technology recall issue in one model and not another? Does not seem plausible. I would guess that the "chips" or whatever the faulty part in question is winds up being the same part for the models recalled as they are in this one. Its clearly a design problem and they are taking the easy way out and leaving the consumer who trusted their name high and dry.

Collapse -
Actually all the electronics I see on store shelves today
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 6, 2012 3:19 AM PDT

Appear to be 2 to 5 year designs. This is not a secret. And why this happened is no secret either.

Collapse -
Thanks for the links, but 2-5 year span is a secret
by sheriff5150 / September 6, 2012 3:32 AM PDT

Consumers are very much not aware that TVs that coust $2k - $3 k will have major issues in 5 years - would not purchase if that were the case.

Collapse -
It's been written about many times.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 6, 2012 3:40 AM PDT

By many others. And this is simply history repeating itself. Do you remember what happened when Color TVs first came out? Some remember, many don't.

Collapse -
I feel your pain
by fieldsleake / November 20, 2012 1:01 AM PST

I have a 2009 65" Samsung DLP HDTV
about 4 weeks ago white dots (a few at first but now hundreds of them) appeared on my screen.
I too called Samsung and was told my model was not on the list of models Samsung was willing to repair. I escalated to the Executive Service Center (after a 20 minute wait on hold) the man at th ESC at Samsung told me that because my unit was not under warranty they (Samsung) could not and would not do anything to help.
I feel your pain!

Collapse -
Do not give Samsung anymore business!
by md92122 / January 17, 2013 5:41 AM PST

I've received similar message from Samsung CSV. Instead of doing right by their customers, they instead chose to pass on the defective parts issues to TI; a company they chose to make the chip for their televisions! Take responsibility and stop defrauding your customers!
I just purchased the chip from Amazon, which was about $100. less than the Samsung site. Do not give them any more money!

MD 92122

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 17, 2013 5:45 AM PST

Glad you figured that part out. If you check out what other makers used it you discover a world of hurt.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.