Samsung forum

General discussion

White Dots on Samsung 42" DLP and more every day!

by macro50 / March 30, 2009 12:45 AM PDT

I've seen way too many posts on the web concerning the same problem- Samsung MUST fix this or will surely lose MANY CUSTOMERS, that were previously loyal. Our unit is 2 yrs. 4 mos. old. Samsung tech support says problem "sounds like" the DMD board. When asked if there was a recall, they replied no. When I asked to file a complaint, they sent me to Josh, employee #44, in the Executive Customer Relations Dept in New Jersey.
Josh would not comment or acknowledge any other customer complaints and confirmed there is no recall. I aksed Josh #44 several times about the frequency of this very expensive problem and finally got him to admit I was not the only one calling about the issue.

Samsung, if you truly are not going to stand behind your product and fix your LAME DLP's in the market, you must be hurting severely financially right now and have made the business decision that it is worth losing the many unhappy customers as opposed to owning the mistake. I can assure you if I do not get satisfaction from Samsung, I will tell everyone I know that Samsung is not the company we all thought it was. This is a very short-sighted decision if you don't change it Samsung- it will cost you dearly in the long run.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: White Dots on Samsung 42" DLP and more every day!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: White Dots on Samsung 42" DLP and more every day!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Same problem is there an inexpensive remedy?
by kalhun98 / April 7, 2009 2:50 AM PDT

We have the same television, purchased in November 2006. I have seen reports of customers having to pay for service/repairs only, with parts covered by Samsung. Any idea how to make that happen? I understand that service would not be covered outside the warranty, but shouldn't the defective parts be replaced at no charge by the manufacturer? I would file a complaint with the local Better Business Bureau, if that would help speed the process? I have seen requests to file a class action suit, but I am not interested in that, if this can be fixed easily!

Collapse -
BBB complaint filed against Samsung
by macro50 / April 7, 2009 2:57 AM PDT

Filed a BBB complaint against Samsung Electronics-America last week. Hopefully will get some resolution.

Collapse -
Me too, with other hundreds of unsatisfied Samsung customers
by Telomostro / May 4, 2009 8:15 AM PDT

It would be great if you guys posted the specific phone numbers, addresses and anything else needed to make a formal complain with the BBB and Samsung as well so that way anyone else following this thread can easily take the same action as you did.

My name is Victor and my TV set is a Samsung DLP 50" about 2 yrs old. I have a large oval ghost like spot right in the middle of my set (the size of a football) and now I have about 14 small dots with variable size (1/8 to 1/4" in diameter) and they keep on growing in number like a bad virus.

If anyone finds a solution for this problem, please post it here so we can all benefit from your effort.
thank you

Collapse -
Already did that

Our 2 year old 46" dlp went out the first time at month 13 of ownership, Samsung "fixed" it. Went out again at month 20 of ownership, had to argue with them, but they fixed it again. It went out again at month 24 of ownership - now they won't do anything cause we're "out of warranty".

I filed with the BBB - Samsung sent a rebuttal. I sent a response back, Samsung sent another rebuttal. I received the email yesterday, case has been closed. Just finished filing a complaint with the FTC. I have already filed with the Texas Attorney General's office.

We didn't buy these high dollar tv's just so they could go out so quickly. Samsung has to know there's a defect - but to admit it and refund or replace all our tv's I guess will be too costly for them.

BBB already has them graded at an "F". I'm not giving up. I've notified the media along with my complaints. I'm going to keep notifying people, forums, media, and whatever agency I can until Samsung makes this right. We should all do this - if we raise enough of a stink, surely some organization will take up our cause.

Also, check your state law concerning "implied warranty".

Collapse -
PLEASE POST CONTACT INFO

Please post the specific phone numbers, addresses and anything else needed to make a formal complain with the BBB, Samsung or any other entity such as State Attorney or what have you. Let's all try to hit the same target

Collapse -
by grumpybutt-austin / May 13, 2009 1:22 AM PDT

I did all of my complaints online. Each person needs to do a search for their specific state for the AG office for consumer complaints. In Texas, there is a list of other avenues for help as well. That's where I found FTC and the Texas Office of Consumer Complaints.

This is the list of everyone so far I have contacted so far:

BBB New Jersey
Texas AG
FTC
Texas Office of Consumer Affairs
7 on your side
Fox News

I am by no means finished - as I'm still searching for other avenues for my complaint.

Collapse -
Getting some resolution from Samsung
by macro50 / May 13, 2009 2:05 AM PDT
In reply to: Online

I filed a complaint with the BBB in New Jersy against:

Samsung Electronics America Inc.
400 Valley Rd Ste 201
Mt Arlington, NJ 07856-2316

Got a response from:

Janice Croux
Service Representative
BBB Complaint Department
trenton.bbb@bureaudata.com

Then got a call from Samsung:

Jennifer in Customer Service
Fax Number 973-529-0379

Jennifer was very pleasant and offered to cover parts, but not install. I said I wanted to hear from the local tech to determine what they would charge. Local tech said $200.00. At this point I said OK. Tech showed up, fixed the set, and left without leaving a bill for services.

I am thinking that Samsung must be getting inundated on this issue and they are starting to do the right thing.

Set works fine. Hopefully for a good long time.

Collapse -
Good
by grumpybutt-austin / May 13, 2009 2:09 AM PDT

I'm glad they honored your set. Hopefully it will last and not turn out like mine did.

Thanks for the update.

Collapse -
From NJ BBB
by alkwon / May 15, 2009 2:46 AM PDT

Thank you for contacting BBB regarding your complaint.

We regret to inform you that BBB cannot process your complaint. The case has been reviewed and was found to contain issues that are out of BBB's Purview. Your complaint would be best handled by the state agency listed below:

STATE OFFICE OF CONSUMER PROTECTION

Although we are unable to assist at this time, please remember that your BBB provides many valuable services to you both prior to making a purchase and after. If we can be of service to you in the future, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Sincerely,

Janice Croux
Service Representative
BBB Complaint Department

Collapse -
This is what I received from NJ BBB
by alkwon / May 15, 2009 2:49 AM PDT

Thank you for contacting BBB regarding your complaint.

We regret to inform you that BBB cannot process your complaint. The case has been reviewed and was found to contain issues that are out of BBB's Purview. Your complaint would be best handled by the state agency listed below:

STATE OFFICE OF CONSUMER PROTECTION
124 Halsey Street
Newark, NJ 07102
Phone: 973-504-6200
Phone: 800-242-5846 (NJ residents only)

Although we are unable to assist at this time, please remember that your BBB provides many valuable services to you both prior to making a purchase and after. If we can be of service to you in the future, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Sincerely,

Janice Croux
Service Representative
BBB Complaint Department

Collapse -
Ugh
by grumpybutt-austin / May 15, 2009 3:47 AM PDT

Figures. Well hopefully you can get help with the state office of consumer affairs. I'm still awaiting a response from the one in Texas.

Collapse -
CHECK YOUTUBE
by Telomostro / May 15, 2009 5:24 AM PDT
In reply to: Ugh
Collapse -
samsung dlp
by dvannoy1 / December 27, 2009 4:52 AM PST
In reply to: CHECK YOUTUBE

bought a samsung DLP 46 inch from conns about 4 years ago. only worked well for about 6 months. have replaced 2 color wheels, 3 bulbs and spent several hundred dollars having techs look at it. Samsung will do nothing...hey don't care,,what we should do is complain to the BBB about the stores that continue to sell this defective equipment...conn', walmart, etc. then maybe something will happen..

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.