Samsung forum

Question

White Dots on My Samsung TV

by smartin7625 / February 15, 2012 5:55 AM PST

We have a samsung 62" tv.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: White Dots on My Samsung TV
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: White Dots on My Samsung TV
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Try...
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / February 15, 2012 7:01 AM PST

I'm sorry to hear that you're having this issue. Unfortunately, if the unit is outside of warranty, parts and labor aren't covered by Samsung. But I don't have the ability to handle or speak on service issues here in the forums.

Collapse -
Answer
I've white dots known issue with my Samsung TV HL-T5676S
by letap2000 / February 17, 2012 1:54 AM PST

<span id="INSERTION_MARKER">lease escalate my issue. I've white dots known issue with my Samsung TV. <span>Model# HL-T5676S
<span>Transaction: 2111652716

Collapse -
Here:
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / February 17, 2012 6:26 AM PST

I can't escalate service issues anymore. Please use the instructions outlined in the Service Issues thread:

Collapse -
Answer
White Dot Problem Fixed - My TV is like new again!
by ValricoFlorida / February 27, 2012 9:59 AM PST

I recently confronted the same "multiplying white dots" problem with my 65 inch Mitsubishi DLP TV. It seemed most repair shops expected nearly $1000 to replace the light engine (with labor) which is absurd since it would cost me just a little more than that to simply buy another brand new TV of the same size and more up to date with LED, etc.

But, with a little research, I found there is a specific chip (manufactured by Teas Instruments) inside the light engine which is the cause of the problem. Generally these chips are costing about $299-325 but I bought mine over E-Bay for about $260 (new) from a very reputable rated dealer there, after I found the part number for the exact replacement chip for my particular brand and model TV (some different brands may even use identical chips, but they all look very similar anyway, so make sure you know the correct part number.) I even found a YouTube video showing another person replacing their chip which was very helpful to me.

To make a long story short, after removing the rear of my TV, disconnecting a half dozen wiring harnesses and removing just as many screws, I slid out the light engine (metal chasis) and sat it on my kitchen table. Then, I had to remove a cover hiding the circuit board where the chip was mounted (this was more tedious with very small screws and a few more wires to disconnect). Once I exposed the chip (which was mounted on the underside of the circuit board) it was simple to remove the chip with one turn of a retainer screw and plug the new chip in with another turn of the retainer screw.

I then proceeded to put everything back together. The only mistake I made was trying to test the TV before I reinstalled the back of the TV in place, because there is a safety mechanism which prevents the TV from working without the back in place.

Anyway, in less than 2 hours, I had my TV working like new again and the picture looks awesome and I feel like I've almost got a brand new TV again! By the way, I since found out my bulb has over 8000 hours of use which according to most reports is way beyond what is normally expected, so also through an EBAY dealer, I have bought another light bulb (new) for about $55 which is very easy to replace on my TV without even removing the back of my TV, but I'm going to wait until my original bulb burns out, because right now, I just couldn't ask for a better picture.

I was a little hesitant initially about spending nearly $300 for a replacement chip, not knowing for sure if I'd save my TV, but looking back now, I'm sure glad I did, although I can't promise everyone would be as lucky.

Collapse -
Answer
SUCCESS with Samsung :)
by brightlight1997 / September 13, 2012 5:56 AM PDT

I'm happy to report that I was one of the lucky ones - Samsung fixed my TV for free.

Model Code: HLT4675SX/XAA
Serial number: AHDY3CMP201449A

I'll tell you my story.

On or around 9/5/12, I started a chat conversation w/someone at Samsung. I said, "I'm having the infamous white dots problem on my Samsung TV." The person replied with something like, "There is no such reported issue." I wrote: "Really????" Because it's all over the Internet" and then I copied/pasted a link to this thread as an example." The person replied with something like "I'm sorry, but we are unable to access 3rd party links" and then asked if I was in front of my TV. I said no because I wasn't at home, so then I said I suppose I should try the chat again when I'm at home in front of the TV and the person said yes, so that was the end of the 1st chat.

So, on 9/7/12, I was in front of my TV and started another chat. THIS time, I got someone who understood what the heck I was talking about (partial transcript is below), and followed through with setting up a service call after I provided the information that they needed in order to set up the service call.

Today, I'm VERY HAPPY TO REPORT that the repairman replaced the chip and there are NO MORE WHITE DOTS (I guess some people call it a DLP chip, but in the chat, the representative called it a DMD chip, and the repairman called it a DLP chip - must both be the same thing!!!!

In summary, I guess if you're in the same situation I was, and you have the experience that I had at first (with the rep. that said 'there's no such reported issue') call back and try someone else. I guess some of them are knowledgeable and actually help, and some don't.

THANKS SO MUCH, SAMSUNG!!!
Me: I have a Samsung HL-T5075S,
Me: and I have the infamous "white spots" or "white dots" problem.
Me: I want to find out how this can be fixed.
Me: I've read many things online
Me: and see that this is a common problem and have seen that Samsung knows about it?
Samsung Rep : I understand that you are having an issue with White dots on your TV. Is that correct?
Me: yes
Samsung Rep : Thank you for confirming.
Samsung Rep : I'm sorry to hear that.
Samsung Rep : May I know from when you are experiencing this issue?
Me: i'm not sure i understand the question
Me: are u asking how long i've had the problem?
Samsung Rep : Yes, you are corret.
Samsung Rep : *correct.
Me: a few months - not sure exactly how long...
Samsung Rep : Sorry for the Typo.
Me: started out with a few dots,
Me: and then more and more appearing
Me: so then i decided
Samsung Rep : May I know any external devices connected to your TV?
Me: to try and find out what the dots were,
Me: and searched online
Me: an HD DVR cable box from comcast
Me: and a home theatre system
Samsung Rep : Please press the Menu button on the TV remote and see if the Menu is effected with the same White dots?
Me: well, being that when i press menu, the menu displays 'on top of'
Me: the tv display, i'm not sure what u mean...
Me: i can still see the dots 'through' the menu
Samsung Rep : Thank you for the information.
Me: ur welcome
Samsung Rep : If your unit exhibits white dots appearing on the screen on all sources and channels, Samsung will provide a onetime courtesy repair to replace the DMD chip. However, should the issue not be related to the DMD chip, you will be offered an estimate for repair and be responsible for the trip charge. Do you consent to these conditions?"
Me: yes, i do
Samsung Rep : Thank you for confirming. I will file a service request on behalf of you.
Samsung Rep : Please provide me with the details:
Samsung Rep : Full name:
Samsung Rep : Email address:
Samsung Rep : Phone number:
Samsung Rep : Shipping address with ZIP code:
Samsung Rep : Complete model number:
Samsung Rep : Complete serial number which is 15 digit alpha numeric

Collapse -
Answer
Samsungs current response to White Dot issues
by schottd / December 6, 2012 6:37 AM PST

December 5, 2012

Have a series 7 750 DLP set purchased in 2008. After reading hundreds of similar "white dot" issues with Samsung DLP sets, I attempted to get problem fixed through Samsung Support. As hundreds of others have found, the answer is "your set isn't covered." I was able to obtain information from them that the DMD chip in question, is made by Texas Instruments, and was brought up in litigation in 2006- hence units made with that one chip were replaced. Samsung CONTINUED to use the Texas Instruments DMD chip and they continue to have that exact same problem as the chips before. But since it is "technically" not the litigated part, they are not honoring any forms of repair for their customers. Amazingly bad business practice, and possible subject to civil claims if enough people complain. As I told them, their failure to correct their less than $100 mistake results in consumers like me buying from their competitors and convincing everyone I know to do similar. Future computer part, electronics, phone purchases? Not going to be with Samsung. So I am out a few hundred to buy a new TV and Samsung loses over $50,000 a year in sales for my business alone.

Collapse -
Answer
Samsung fixed the same problem for us
by MisterBeasley / July 17, 2013 11:57 PM PDT

We have a 48-inch DLP TV we bought about 5 years ago. It started developing white spots a few weeks ago. I called Samsung last week with the model and serial number and they sent out a technician yesterday. She replaced the DLP chip and fixed the problem. They did this at no cost to me.

Collapse -
Samsung problem
by Alleghany / July 28, 2013 4:38 AM PDT

I have the same issue and have contacted Samsung. My question - has anyone had a repairman come and check the tv and the chip WAS NOT the problem and you had to pay for the visit and if the chip is not the problem, what else could it possibly be causing the white dots? You have to agree to pay for the service call if it ends up not being the chip and I am hesitant to agree without knowing the cost of the service call. Any help would be appreciated.

Collapse -
It's a big world.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 28, 2013 5:43 AM PDT
In reply to: Samsung problem

So there is a minute chance it could be the control board to the DMD but if you've been around that usually is not white/black dots. From what I've read, seen, heard the cost is highly variable as the drive to the location is not a set distance so no one can write "it costs 200" since what if you you are Omloof, VA?
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.