Windows 7

Question

White browsers after major software updates(2hrs last night)

by DeeDee99 / April 10, 2013 4:16 AM PDT

Every time a program needs an update I dread the results. Microsoft last night & Anti virus. After installing a reboot brings WHITE BROWSERS that will NOT connect to my high speed internet. It's shows I'm connected by the 5 bars of Linksys but nothing will wake up browsers. Can repeat the same thing with Samsung update or any other major update. Reboot Re-start then shut off (wait 5 minutes) and boot.. WHITE browsers, do it again and again. Not sure what to trigger it but after 2 hours walked away with browser open and blank white. It finally started. This has been happening for 6 months. Take it to technical shop, they can find no reason. Up to date on Antivirus/ Microsoft/ did malware deep scan/ defrag as needed/ Using 1/3 of the 2 TB hard drive with 16 ram. Anyone have a possible solution PLEASE.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: White browsers after major software updates(2hrs last night)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: White browsers after major software updates(2hrs last night)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
I'd like to hear more.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 10, 2013 4:22 AM PDT

At the office (some dozens of machines, too many to count) and home as well as the lab this does not happen.

Can you share why you think your PC is different?
Bob

Collapse -
NO idea why I'm stuck with the only BLANK browser
by DeeDee99 / April 11, 2013 8:03 AM PDT
In reply to: I'd like to hear more.

It is really frustrating because I must update my cell phone thru Samsung Kies and every time in the past it takes 4 hours to get my computer back to normal. BLANK browsers and all. That's one update. Have another for the Nvidia needed. All browsers are up to date, computer cleaned and runs well UNTIL A major UPDATE that is needed.

Never updating is NOT an option. Formatting is the last option. There must be some solution in between.
What could hold back internet connection with BLANK browsers for hours after major updates. I turn on and off the Linksys connection and that doesn't trigger "working"

Collapse -
Still too little to work with.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 11, 2013 8:17 AM PDT

Can you share what's fixed this in the past? Even if you had to call in someone to look at it?

There is an odd thing like this that happens with Norton and other "protection" that causes this if it expires. I still consider them to be thugs.
Bob

Collapse -
Blank browsers again - this time Adobe Flash update
by DeeDee99 / April 14, 2013 2:47 PM PDT

After the Adobe Flash update at 9pm I checked email and then lost internet connection. Rebooted, showed I had medium internet connection but ALL BLANK BROWSERS nothing would open. Did a complete shut down and counted for 2 minutes. Restarted, Blank Browsers Using IE10, Google Chrome, Firefox only one at a time and all BLANK. Used CC Cleaner, then immediately after it completed used WCClean. Did another cold boot and now it's more than 45 minutes later and I HAVE BROWSERS. Ackckc - what makes it work? reboot, clean, restart, swear, reboot, cold boot, cross my fingers. Try it all again. Started checking into alternate antivirus - Really no idea why. I've got results doing all this over and over. The technical shop found nothing unusual (that's because they didn't update any software) just did a deep malware check again, nothing. No charge. Challenges - there is always another way to solve an issue... sure would like to find one that works better than trial and error.

Collapse -
IF it's "WinCleaner OneClick Professional Clean" ...
by Carol~ Forum moderator / April 15, 2013 12:14 AM PDT

Dee Dee..

I don't know what's triggering your "white browsers", but if your reference to 'WCClean' is Business Logic's "WinCleaner OneClick Professional Clean", I would start by removing it! It's been known to cripple machines.

If the so-called "cleaner" came from wincleaner.com, please read the comments about it at Web of Trust (WOT). If you see any favorable comments, in all likelihood it's spam. Emsisoft considers it to be malware.

It might also help to read, "Do I need a Registry Cleaner?" . It's only one of many on the subject.

You're posts beg many questions.

Carol

Collapse -
Are you sure it was a real version Flash?
by orlbuckeye / January 16, 2014 9:57 PM PST

There is Malware out there that says it's installing Flash but it's really malware. They have the same problem on the MAC with the Flashback virus that was the biggest virus hit ever affecting over 600,000 computers.

Collapse -
Answer
Are you using Kaspersky as your A/V?
by Carol~ Forum moderator / April 11, 2013 8:50 AM PDT
Collapse -
Answer
White browser due to virus attack
by dj079 / April 11, 2013 10:20 PM PDT

Well, if it is happening after your antivirus and Microsoft updates, there might be some corruption issue in your web browser. You can try solving it by uninstalling and reinstalling the browser. Sometimes, it happens that windows update end up with some application corruption and a reinstallation will fix it.

If you are not able to solve it with the help of reinstallation of your software, then perform complete scan of hard drive, if it's because of any virus then it will be fixed. There are many options available as windows antivirus like Norton, Avast, Avira, Kaspersky. If your antivirus does not work out with the virus issue, you can install some other.

Collapse -
Blank browsers with every majoy update of any software still
by DeeDee99 / April 18, 2013 8:02 AM PDT

Used CCleaner- Pro then Wincleaner One Click.. right after. Shut down, boot again and cross fingers, usually works. Sometimes takes a few hours to actually get an internet connection back.
YOU are 100% right about registry cleaners - total WIPE OUT using Iolo System Mechanic on other 2 computers, lost all internet - their solution was FORMAT. Then I tried it again on another computer, a few months later WIPE OUT, no internet, no solution. NEVER AGAIN for that software. Too expensive and time consuming to correct.
This computer Win7-64 bit using McAfee AV is close to the END of frustration. See a format in the near future.
Transferring data to laptop in preparation now. Have Windows 10 installed now plus all other browsers are updated. Will analyze which anti-virus software to try next after "Format" - new emergency laptop came with a trial of Norton, used to have that a few computers ago. Something is CORRUPT - so lucky to have the only computer with BLANK white browsers.

Collapse -
Just some thoughts..
by Carol~ Forum moderator / April 18, 2013 2:32 PM PDT

I'm going to preface this by again by saying, I don't know what's triggering your "blank browsers". But if I were to venture a guess, I would say it's not caused by malware.

You wrote:

'YOU are 100% right about registry cleaners - total WIPE OUT using Iolo System Mechanic on other 2 computers, lost all internet - their solution was FORMAT. Then I tried it again on another computer, a few months later WIPE OUT, no internet, no solution. NEVER AGAIN for that software. Too expensive and time consuming to correct.'

I'm curious to know why, after having had such a bad experience (twice) with System Mechanic, you would install WinCleaner OneClick Pro, which is similar. If not, worse. I ask in all sincerity.

Did you install them in an attempt to correct a problem? Are you sure their use hasn't created one?

I've read of blank pages in the different browsers, but not with all at once. A thread titled Why does Chrome load blank pages? doesn't reflect your identical issue, but it may be related. It offers a couple of solutions, while this post lists 6 possible causes. Be sure to read #6 - Is chrome really dead? Blank screen issue.

I know "unresponsive scripts" can cause Firefox to exhibit the behavior you speak of. But .. not for hours on end.

Unless one browser is affecting all ... sadly the above isn't going to help. Sad

There probably is a trigger. Although, I can't help but believe the installation of McAfee, coupled with a "registry cleaner / optimizer" .... isn't helping matters.

I wish you the best of luck...
Carol

Collapse -
McAf av update and my google browser froze, no control/alt/d
by DeeDee99 / May 3, 2013 12:54 PM PDT
In reply to: Just some thoughts..

Spent the past hour trying to restart the computer, had to force shut down, open any browser and they froze. control/alt/delete didn't work - force shut down a few more times after opening white/blank browsers. Made sure I took out the McAfee safe browser extension it put in even though I SAID DO NOT USE IT. Browser still froze after loading home page (at least I reach home page before freezing) and NOT white.
Again it all starts when there is an update from something. This time McAfe but it could have been other programs like Adobe pdf reader or Microsoft update. On a laptop now with a trial Norton, (not happy with it - was used on previous computers 8 years ago and corrupted data.) Was thinking of Kaspersky next month but there must be something else. A deep av scan shows nothing unusual
Doing all this because I'm short of time to format the hard drive and install all my business stuff. Took 3 weeks last format last time 2 years ago. Luck is definitely needed. So many others from the links above had White/Blank browsers with different reasons. It must be solved. 2 yr old Win7 64-bit with 16 Ram and 2TB hard drive - a sweet machine when it's NOT WHITE.

Collapse -
Ghosting

"Doing all this because I'm short of time to format the hard drive and install all my business stuff. Took 3 weeks last format last time 2 years ago. Luck is definitely needed."

This is a very hard situation for you.

Routine imaging of the hard drive, however, means that restoring a known clean and uncorrupted image can be done in as little as 15 minutes.

Norton Ghost is good for that.

Free imaging programs here: http://www.todo-backup.com/products/home/free-backup-software.htm

and http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx

will mean that the tools you need to save yourself the time invested and the aggravation will be much lessened over what you have now and you need not spend a dime for that protection.

An image will back up all your files, and the better imaging programs will allow you to selectively restore specific files from an image, (let's say you threw away an important personal file by mistake), you can look for that file in an older saved image and restore it just by itself onto your current drive without re-running the entire image to get it back.

Then there is 'my hard drive just died'. An image restore will work in most cases to a new drive. Time needed for that is the time to install the new drive, run the image restore program, and reboot.

Better luck next time. Sad

Collapse -
Took months to solve - persistance Blank white browser FIXED
by DeeDee99 / January 16, 2014 7:25 AM PST
In reply to: Just some thoughts..

Blank white browser since April 2013, step by step, prepared for formatting by making sure a laptop contains all my data needed while desktop is being worked on. While preparing... my hard drive died click click DEAD. Replaced the hard drive and put Windows 7 in and all needed programs and STILL GOT BLANK WHITE BROWSER. Latest browser versions sometimes took 20 minutes to open.
What's in the computer without a hard drive?
THE BIOS - it was updated in April and never thought there would be another update in July.
My new laptop has had the BIOS updated 3x since spring purchase and that's what triggered the thought to check the desktop setting.
The 3 year old computer with new hard drive is fast on boot, browsers open quickly. Of course this never happens to anyone - taken step by step, persistence and all your help too.... I'm happy now.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.