Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

White Box on Desktop In Upper-Left Corner of Windows XP

by captainajones / January 30, 2008 8:35 AM PST

I have White Box on my Desktop In Upper-Left Corner of my screen that I cannot delete or otherwise remove. I am running Windows XP, and McAfee and Ad-Aware say I have no viruses. In trying to get rid of this box I have discovered that I can expand and reduce the size of the box from the lower right hand corner, and if I drag a web page shortcut icon from my desktop over the box, the web page is displayed. When a web page is being displayed inside the box there are scroll bars on the right and bottom sides to scroll around the web page. If I click on a hyperlink within the box, my default web browser is opened to the link. At first I was using IE, and then I switched to Firefox, and it made no difference. Periodically, the web page being displayed inside the box will disapear, along with the scrolling bars, leaving behind a white box.

When there is a web page being displayed in the box I can right click on the box and I get a menu with the following options: Back, Forward, Save Background as, Set Background, Copy Background, Set as Desktop Item, Select All, Paste, Create Shortcut, Ad to Favorites, View Source, Print, Refresh, Export to Microsoft Excel, Print, Properties. Some of these items are grayed out. If I select properties, there is a "General" tab with the name of the web page, Protocol Info, Type, Connection, Address, Size, Created, Modified. There is a Certificates button at the bottom in addition to OK and Cancel buttons.

I am an intermediate to advanced computer user and am at a loss as to what to do, and have not found any posts with a problem like this.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: White Box on Desktop In Upper-Left Corner of Windows XP
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: White Box on Desktop In Upper-Left Corner of Windows XP
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Web Content on Desktop
by Darton Fury / January 30, 2008 11:01 AM PST

R-click an empty area of your desktop and select Properties, Desktop Tab, Customize Desktop, Web Tab. Select from the list and delete.

Collapse -
I have the same "box in upper left corner" problem
by gsumners / February 2, 2008 1:10 AM PST
In reply to: Web Content on Desktop

My laptop computer is suffering this same issue, but the symptom of it opening a webpage does not apply. In addition, the above resolution step in inapplicable, the option to display web content on the desktop is not active (and will NOT be made so!)

Collapse -
Have just found the resolution, entirely by accident.
by gsumners / February 2, 2008 1:21 AM PST

On my laptop, the issue appears to be caused by allowing the "ATi Catalyst Control Center" to display the associated system tray icon. With that tray icon disabled, the small white box in the upper left corner of the desktop does disappear...and with it enabled, the box immediately reappears.

Checking the system logs, this driver was indeed recently updated, and I did first notice this trouble at a time after that update.

Collapse -
I had the same white box and it was ATI's Catalyst Center!
by hwkeye / February 3, 2008 1:36 PM PST

It was driving me crazy gsumners so you did well in figuring it out.

Collapse -
by sereneDelusions / February 6, 2008 9:31 PM PST

I had to sign up just to say thank clue that was the problem and now it's gone.

Collapse -
White box in the middle of the LCD screen
by carolecorralejo / February 19, 2010 10:20 AM PST

I am running a Sony Vaio, Pentium 4, OS XP Home sp3. I have this annoying "white box" that sits on my desktop. I can cover it with other programs, internet, etc. There is also an "empty" box on the taskbar that seems to go with it but has no action when I try to delete, etc. I can work around it but it does get annoying since I can't see all of my desktop icons. If you have any ideas, i would appreciate it!

Collapse -
White Box Cure
by Seagrave59 / July 5, 2010 4:02 AM PDT

Not being as sophisticated, and having the problem with the white box, how do I access to the "ATi Catalyst Control Center" ? Thanks.

Collapse -
Re: White Box Cure
by Tufenuf / July 5, 2010 8:12 AM PDT
In reply to: White Box Cure

There are several ways to access the Catalyst Control Center. You can go to Start>Control Panel and double-click on Display to open the Display Properties box, then click Settings>Advanced>Catalyst Control Center and click the ATI Catalyst Control Center button to launch it. Alternatively, you can right-click on an empty area of the Windows Desktop and select it from the top of the context menu, or use the 'CCC' shortcut placed in your Start>All Programs>Catalyst Control Center menu (or on your Desktop).

The first time you open the CCC you will be asked if you want to use Basic or Advanced view. I strongly recommend selecting the Advanced option and also ticking the 'Dont show this page again' box and clicking Next (and reconfirming if necessary). Basic view is only for extremely novice users and non-gamers, and does not contain the bulk of the settings required to optimize and configure your Catalysts. To confirm that you're in Advanced view, once the ATI CCC opens, click the Views button at the top and you will see the 'Advanced View' item is ticked. The settings of the CCC are each covered in detail below:

Collapse -
by faparks / January 21, 2009 12:42 AM PST

Your recommendation worked like a charm.

Many thanks....

Collapse -
Works appropriately
by Susanary / October 19, 2013 9:06 AM PDT

thanks alot
i just help my fellow to fix this issue
it just works as the same way you mention

Collapse -
That worked!
by ajeeshkoshy / November 24, 2012 11:54 AM PST

Thanks, i guess someone had accidentally got the webpage ticked. And i had no clue about this feature Wink
Until i read you here.

Collapse -
White Box - only mine covered 3/4 of Right Side WIndows XP
by JusstBee / January 10, 2013 11:18 PM PST

Thanks! This advice worked perfectly and immediately!
(Windows XP 32 bit)

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.