Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

White box in upper left hand corner of screen

by Demongorgonn / March 28, 2009 3:12 PM PDT
Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: White box in upper left hand corner of screen
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: White box in upper left hand corner of screen
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Have a look......
by Marianna Schmudlach / March 28, 2009 3:29 PM PDT
Collapse -
didnt help :(
by Demongorgonn / March 28, 2009 3:54 PM PDT
In reply to: Have a look......

sorry but i have vista, i cant resize the box in anyway and if i right cick there isnt a properties tab. thanks though. anymore suggestions?

thanks, Demongorgonn

Collapse -
Re: didnt help :(
by Tufenuf / March 28, 2009 11:35 PM PDT
In reply to: didnt help :(
Collapse -
none
by Demongorgonn / March 29, 2009 1:54 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: didnt help :(

i looked through all of them i even went to the 2nd page to look but i still didnt find anything, are u sure its the same problem i have?

Collapse -
Did you look at this thread.......
by Marianna Schmudlach / March 29, 2009 2:40 AM PDT
In reply to: none

Strange square in corner of screen

Click on the link to Photobucket and you can see it is the same "white square".

if it upper left corner a white dot/square and you use an ATI video card.
it is a problem with 8.1 ati drivers.
exiting the ati control panel from the tray will remove it temporarily till you reboot.
to permanently, use the ati control panel options to prevent it running with windows start.

Here is the link:

http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin/browse_thread/thread/ef9d4aaceaf4000b?pli=1

Collapse -
not the same
by Demongorgonn / March 29, 2009 3:26 AM PDT

its not the same as mine, on his there isnt anything in the box, if u look at mine i showed it with the letter a. it has an a in it because it was the last button i pressed. im thinking its a keylogger?

Collapse -
Give the following a try....
by Marianna Schmudlach / March 29, 2009 4:56 AM PDT
In reply to: not the same

to see IF the scanners find anything:

Run the F-Secure Online Scanner

http://support.f-secure.com/enu/home/ols.shtml

Note: This Scanner is for Internet Explorer Only!

*Click on Online Services and then Online Scanner
*Accept the License Agreement.
*Once the ActiveX installs, click Full System Scan
*Once the download completes,the scan will begin automatically.
* The scan will take some time to finish,so please be patient.
*When the scan completes, click the Automatic cleaning (recommended) button.

Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (v1.33) and save it to your desktop.
alternate download link 1
alternate download link 2
If you have a previous version of MBAM, remove it via Add/Remove Programs and download a fresh copy.

* Make sure you are connected to the Internet.
* Double-click on mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
* When the installation begins, follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
* When installation has finished, make sure you leave both of these checked:
o Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
o Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
* Then click Finish.

MBAM will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan.

* If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself.
* Press the OK button to close that box and continue.
* If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download them from here and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install. Alternatively, you can update through MBAM's interface from a clean computer, copy the definitions (rules.ref) located in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from that system to a usb stick or CD and then copy it to the infected machine.

On the Scanner tab:

* Make sure the "Perform Quick Scan" option is selected.
* Then click on the Scan button.
* If asked to select the drives to scan, leave all the drives selected and click on the Start Scan button.
* The scan will begin and "Scan in progress" will show at the top. It may take some time to complete so please be patient.
* When the scan is finished, a message box will say "The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found".
* Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal process.

Back at the main Scanner screen:

* Click on the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.
* Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
* When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad.
* The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
* Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply and exit MBAM.

Notes: If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you may be asked to reboot your computer so it can proceed with the disinfection process. Regardless if prompted to restart the computer or not, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot normally (not into safe mode) will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware.

MBAM may "make changes to your registry" as part of its disinfection routine. If using other security programs that detect registry changes (ie Spybot's Teatimer), they may interfere or alert you after scanning with MBAM. Please temporarily disable such programs or permit them to allow the changes. Click this link to see a list of programs that should be disabled.

Download and scan with SUPERAntiSpyware Free for Home Users

* Double-click SUPERAntiSpyware.exe and use the default settings for installation.
* An icon will be created on your desktop. Double-click that icon to launch the program.
* If asked to update the program definitions, click "Yes". If not, update the definitions before scanning by selecting "Check for Updates". (If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download and unzip them from here.)
* Under "Configuration and Preferences", click the Preferences button.
* Click the Scanning Control tab.
* Under Scanner Options make sure the following are checked (leave all others unchecked):

Close browsers before scanning.
Scan for tracking cookies.
Terminate memory threats before quarantining.

* Click the "Close" button to leave the control center screen.
* Back on the main screen, under "Scan for Harmful Software" click Scan your computer.
* On the left, make sure you check C:\Fixed Drive.
* On the right, under "Complete Scan", choose Perform Complete Scan.
* Click "Next" to start the scan. Please be patient while it scans your computer.
* After the scan is complete, a Scan Summary box will appear with potentially harmful items that were detected. Click "OK".
* Make sure everything has a checkmark next to it and click "Next".
* A notification will appear that "Quarantine and Removal is Complete". Click "OK" and then click the "Finish" button to return to the main menu.
* If asked if you want to reboot, click "Yes".

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET's Tech Minute

Top 3 news reading apps

With the latest tech, getting news delivered to your phone is easier than ever. Here's a roundup of apps that are customizable and useful for getting the news.