Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

White (blank) screen when I boot up computer

by eseryvelo / May 30, 2009 10:09 PM PDT

Dell Inspiron 1200, 6years old, XP, sp3. When I start my computer I immediately get a white screen. F8 does nothing, blank screen stays. So now I cannot do a safe mode start or last known good config. Anyone have any ideas?????
Thanks

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: White (blank) screen when I boot up computer
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: White (blank) screen when I boot up computer
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Some monitors do that when ...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 30, 2009 10:19 PM PDT

I have an older CRT that goes white when the VGA CABLE is unplugged.

Time to check your setup. Find both ends of that VGA cable.

Collapse -
white screen
by eseryvelo / May 30, 2009 10:44 PM PDT

All cables are intact and secure. It is a Dell Dimension not inspiron as prevoiusly stated. Therefore the computer and cables never move.

Collapse -
I read your post again
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 30, 2009 11:00 PM PDT
In reply to: white screen

And maybe this is a laptop, maybe it isn't. To get the best responses always supply the details and more. Think about what you give out as information.

-> Laptops have very few parts we can swap out. Here's the short list.

1. RTC battery.
2. Motherboard.
3. Drives.
4. RAM.
5. Display unit (the top lid.)

Collapse -
More details if you wish
by eseryvelo / May 30, 2009 11:35 PM PDT
In reply to: I read your post again

I have a Dell Dimension 2400 2.4 Ghz. 80G hard drive. O/S is windows XP sp3. Computer was purchased July 2003, last December I had a shop reinstall the O/S (or reset the computer) to clean out all the junk. It has worked fine until this morning. When I turn on the tower I immediately get a blank screen, that's all. Nothing else. F2, F8 or any "F" does not function other than the tower beeps repeatedly when an "F" is tapped. Is my computer dead? Or can it be brought back to life?

Collapse -
So it's a tower.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 31, 2009 12:08 AM PDT

As with all common desktops you can change power supplies, motherboards, video ram and more. It can be fixed.

What spares do you have?

-> I don't duplicate ready web content such as this: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=THE+DEAD+PC

All skill levels show up in these forums. If I write at a beginner's level an expert is annoyed. If I write as if the owner does their own PC repair and doesn't they could be miffed. You appear to be more of an user rather than your own repair person. For that lever you check the internals of the desktop to see all the cards are seated (power off of course) and hope.
Bob

Collapse -
Inspiron 1200 = laptop?
by Kees Bakker / May 30, 2009 10:26 PM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.