Video Games & Consoles

General discussion

Which Xbox 360 to buy?

by Twinsin21 / August 2, 2010 2:05 PM PDT

I already own 2 ps3s. One for me and the next for my younger brother. I am moving over to the capital for college and I wanted to know which 360 should i get?

The elite or the new slim. Which has a less chance of failure rate, scratching discs and is faster in speed?

Also any other accessories and games i should pick up?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Which Xbox 360 to buy?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Which Xbox 360 to buy?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Personally
by Jimmy Greystone / August 2, 2010 10:50 PM PDT
In reply to: Which Xbox 360 to buy?

Personally, I'd go with the new Slim model. It's the latest generation, so presumably it has the lowest odds of failure.

Speed wise though, it's going to be exactly the same as the first 360s that went on sale like 6 years ago. The whole point of consoles is to provide a consistent stable development target. The hardware is fixed, so developers know exactly what it is they have to work with. And gamers also know that any game with the logo for that console, will work on that system. There's none of the upgrade treadmill like with PC gaming.

Collapse -
Quick Question...
by ndfan236-2348608485923434 / August 4, 2010 7:44 AM PDT
In reply to: Personally

Is the XBox 360 Slim quieter than the old XBox 360s?

Collapse -
Probably
by Jimmy Greystone / August 4, 2010 10:33 AM PDT
In reply to: Quick Question...

Probably, but I don't have one, and my Falcon system has never had a problem with excessive noise. Presumably it'd be quieter all around with using less power, thus generating less heat, and thus requiring less fan thrust to keep air moving.

Collapse -
xbox 360 slim is quieter
by happytime33 / August 4, 2010 11:42 AM PDT
In reply to: Quick Question...

Microsoft has paid much attention to noise treatment. Xbox 360 slim has only one large fan instead of two small fans which is quieter than previous one.

Collapse -
The slim
by givemeaname / August 14, 2010 11:34 AM PDT

I got the "slim" almost 1 month ago on the 16th. It was to replace a 1st gen 360 that went RRoD on me, so this is really is my 3rd xbox 360 total.
Very quit, smaller lighter brick, low heat output & much bigger HHD (my other one had just 10gigs).

I did buy a 3 year extended warranty but since I bought it from amazon, no sales tax, that paid for the EW.

I do not like the new 'touch buttons', there has been a few time when dusting the system, it turns on or opens the tray. I do not care about turning it on/off since I use the controller (I go old school wired controller) to do that, but changing out games can be a little annoying.

2 things I wish they added, a slot loader instead of the tray & when at the dashboard or when the tray is open, the eject/close tray button lite up would be nice.

Collapse -
Re:
by USA_Classified / August 17, 2010 6:04 AM PDT

My votes would also go for slim model.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.