Audio & Video Software forum

Which updated driver to install?

by sight88 / January 20, 2012 8:48 AM PST

I would like to try to update the driver for an Integrated Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 900 to see if it would improve system. Details of system: 2004 Gateway 5200S computer, updated to Windows 7 OS and 3 GBs RAM. Ran the utility at Intel, said recognized as Intel 915/910G, but Windows 7 was not supported by their driver. Also states, "Your integrated graphics controller can support Windows 7 OS by using XPDM drivers." They do not tell you which one of several listed to download. Computer works wonderfully except system info states that the graphics are poor.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Which updated driver to install?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Which updated driver to install?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Is it worth adding a video card?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 20, 2012 8:51 AM PST

Such can be had for less than what a new machine is today.

Collapse -
Re: Is it worth adding a video card?
by sight88 / January 21, 2012 2:51 AM PST

R. Proffitt,
Since the computer is 7 years old, I was hoping an updated driver would help the graphics rating of "1". Do you think that the upgrade to Windows 7 had an effect on the performance of the accelerator? There aren't a lot of games played on the computer, so going to the expense of adding a video card at this point to update the system for game playing would not be worth it. The system report is telling me that a score of "1" is a poor score for graphics. Games are not the only thing affected by a graphics score, so my thinking was that an updated driver might boost that to a "2", it would be beneficial. Thank you for your response and I would appreciate your advice on what would be best to do. At the time I upgraded the OS and recently the RAM, I didn't realize the computer was already that old.

Collapse -
Here's why I doubt there is a driver.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 21, 2012 3:02 AM PST

It's been that long and you didn't find it. Intel did not publish the source for us to play with either.

It's the usual card I use when I don't want to change the power supply.

That's 35 bucks to my door step and has all the usual video connections for a PCIe SLOT.

HOWEVER. shows only PCI so we have to step back to this one.
About 40 bucks.

Collapse -
Here's why I doubt there is a driver.
by sight88 / January 21, 2012 7:47 AM PST

Thanks for doing all of that research for me and for the links to the websites with info. That is my computer on the support site. I installed my own RAM and upgraded the OS, but do you think it's possible for me to install the graphics card? I went to Amazon, where I do a lot of shopping to see what they look like and they look pretty complex. Of course, I would need to purchase the second one for $40. I am lucky that I have you to guide me as I wouldn't have known what card would be compatible with my system. Could you direct me to a website with instructions to review to determine if I am capable of doing this? Thanks again for your help. Since I have already invested in upgrading the computer to this point and if the computer can handle changing from an accelerator to a real graphics card and you believe I can do this, then I should do it. Your help is very much appreciated and I await your response.

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 21, 2012 8:04 AM PST
Collapse -
by sight88 / January 21, 2012 11:45 AM PST
In reply to: Sorry

Were you looking at the actual page 17 or the 17th total pages in the 144 listing of pages? What were you trying to point out about that particular page? All information is helpful to me. Please elaborate.

I had a computer guy clean up the computer in March of 2010, but when I opened it up to insert the additional RAM updates a few days ago, I saw that it was pretty dusty in there. I know that static electricity is a problem, so I didn't do anything. I have cleaned up the monitor front and the keyboard. I will get some compressed air and get it cleaned up inside soon. I really didn't know that you could clean it up yourself, so thank you for the webpage. I have it saved in favorites.

Collapse -
What I saw on page 17 according to Adobe reader's page #
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 21, 2012 11:52 AM PST
In reply to: Sorry

Was the rear of the machine with easy to remove thumbscrews to get the cover off. After that you follow the install instructions with the card. I don't duplicate such here because one card is pretty much like the next and I don't have this card's instructions.

Collapse -
by sight88 / January 23, 2012 12:45 AM PST

I am amazed that someone would go to all of this trouble to help a stranger. I have just ordered the graphics card you had suggested and will take the plunge to upgrade my system. I hope that if I have any questions once I get it with their instructions for installation, that I can send you the questions. Although I have been doing more research on the installation of graphics cards and think that I will be able to do this. What I need to determine is the procedures to follow to disable the integrated controller in the motherboard and when to do it. Before or after installing the card. I expect it will be detailed in the instructions that come with the card. Thank you again for your help, it is greatly appreciated.

Collapse -
About "disable" I never do that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 23, 2012 12:53 AM PST
In reply to: amazed!

I know some try to do that but at worst I might have to change the BIOS setting to indicate to use the new card. The names change but I only look for Primary Video or something like that.

Collapse -
Card is installed
by sight88 / January 28, 2012 9:22 AM PST

Received the new graphics card today. After installing the card and booting up the computer, it could not start Windows. Went into the BIOS to disable the old integrated one. That didn't work. Still wouldn't start Windows. Used another computer we have in the house to do some searching online, found a forum that said to start the computer in safe mode and disable the old graphics in Device Manager. That worked. Seems to be working well. Thanks for finding one that would work with my old system. It should me last quite a while with the upgrades.

Collapse -
(NT) Glad it all worked out.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 28, 2012 9:26 AM PST
In reply to: Card is installed
Collapse -
graphics card causing problems
by sight88 / January 29, 2012 11:41 PM PST

Bob and everyone who would like to help,
Just to refresh your memory. I have a Gateway 5200S computer from 2004.
I have upgraded the computer to Windows 7 32
bit, 3 GB RAM, and just installed Sparkle GeForce 8400
graphics card in PCI slot on motherboard. I disabled integrated
graphics in Device Manager using safe mode, when computer would not
automatically disable it upon installing card. But the computer keeps
telling me that there is a problem and it should be re-enabled. The new
graphics card is listed in the Device Manager, so it is recognized.
When I start the computer it starts with a black screen with system
details scrolling and it will start Windows this way. With Gateway no
longer supporting this computer, the only BIOS update on their website
is for an Augsburg motherboard which is not what I have. My BIOS
version is an EV91510A.15A.0123 from Sept. 2004. Would an update for
the BIOS solve all of these problems? How can I fix this so it will
start up the way it did before installing the graphics card? Hope you will have the answer to my dilemma. Thanks.

All Answers

Collapse -
You are right. A bios could fix it but there are no updates
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 30, 2012 2:01 AM PST

So we are left with looking for any bios setting to set the primary display. I did not find a manual so I could not look for any bios option to change the primary display.

Collapse -
after effects template
by santazo / October 11, 2012 9:50 PM PDT

you can download filehippo update driver.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.