TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Which tv should i purchase?

by zugzug1 / January 30, 2009 7:59 AM PST
Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Which tv should i purchase?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Which tv should i purchase?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The samsung
by givemeaname / January 30, 2009 3:11 PM PST

Look at the 750 model too.

Collapse -
2 different animals.
by ahtoi / January 31, 2009 2:48 AM PST

But what are your criteria?

Collapse -
This might help....
by elmfrank / February 5, 2009 12:40 AM PST

Hey. This might help answer your question...its an interactive guide with actual advice from an expert that will give you suggestions based on your actual specific needs. It's free and takes maybe 5 minutes or so.

elmlife.com/guide/HDTVBuyingGuide?595

Just as a side note: I don't want anyone to think I am spamming these boards. I do work for the company that created the guide, but I am trying to answer a legitimate question. I truly believe this will be helpful for person...if I didn't I wouldn't be spending my time working to create these guides.

Collapse -
guide still has shortcomings
by Pepe7 / February 5, 2009 12:54 AM PST
In reply to: This might help....

We discussed this earlier in another thread. You might want to disclose that info as well. It's more of an alternative price portal at this point, a la froogle.com. It certainly can't compare the two HDTVs he lists specifically.

For what it's worth, I threw in the same criteria I did a few weeks ago and it gave three *worse* HDTV models IMHO than it did last time. IMO the Phillips and two Vizios are far from providing a new HDTV with the best PQ for my needs/space. Time to tweak the criteria I guess.

-Pedro

Collapse -
what criteria?
by elmfrank / February 5, 2009 1:03 AM PST

I would be interested in what criteria you put in so we can figure out where its not working for you.

I will say this advice is based on opinion from our expert, so its possible his opinion and yours may differ, however I would be interested to know your criteria to see if that is the case or not.

Collapse -
For starters
by Pepe7 / February 5, 2009 4:18 AM PST
In reply to: what criteria?

Issues like overall reliability/repair record of a particular brand should also be taken into consideration besides low price within a band. Obviously, a smaller or larger volume of units moved will skew the stats, but that could be weighted. AFAIK the Phillips plasma the elm guide recommended is not a reliable model, and the two Vizio's appeared to have been chosen for low price alone. They don't have the same repair record as some of the Panny's as the Vizio brand is relatively new. That's why I commented at first glance it really seems more like a price portal. There's no reason why at least two or three Panasonic plasmas would not be listed as 'hits' since they would fit my needs easily (and stay within the 1000-2500 price range). [Where are some of the Costco Panny's, btw?] Clearly the criteria used now are too rigid preventing some otherwise valid choices from being suggested in the output of the process. How strict are the screen sizes for a particular viewing distances being evaluated, for example(?) I would hesitate to recommend your tool to anyone since it seemd to really only seems to be in 'beta stage' with limited effectiveness.

-Pedro

-Pedro

Collapse -
please email us
by elmfrank / February 5, 2009 5:23 AM PST
In reply to: For starters

Pedro:

Our engine is not much like froogle at all, we do not simply apply criteria filters. Rather we have turned the experts knowledge in an artificial intelligence setup that thinks about the correct TV for you. With simple filters its up to the user to KNOW what they want and be CORRECT. With our system the person can know nothing about TVs and still get an answer for a product that will make them happy rather than them guessing and being disappointed with the outcome.

It is clear that you know a huge amount about TVs, not just specs, but the overall business. I would like to invite you again to please shoot us an email at feedback@elmlife.com. It is experts like yourself that help us build these and we are always looking for new people to contribute. You clearly have ideas to improve the product and we would love to work with you to implement them.

Collapse -
counterintuitive/overly weighted system?
by Pepe7 / February 5, 2009 11:08 AM PST
In reply to: please email us

Houston we may have a problem! Wink

For example, if I know a certain HDTV I've seen in one of the big box retailers looks very good and has a decent track record for repair, and falls within the 1000-2500 price range on some web retailer's sites, why aren't I seeing that HDTV as one of the 'hits'(?) Certainly something is only 'correct' based on the formulas (one type of criteria) utilized behind the scenes. What I am implying is that you can't use the recommended seating distance for a particular size of HDTV panel as absolute in the process. Just because my couch may be located 13-15 feet from the HDTV doesn't mean a 42" could not suffice per se. Although it should, the 42" version of a perfectly valid HDTV might not appear but only 46"-50" HDTVs, for example. How does your system evaluate/prioritize a particular HDTV over another based on amount of time spent playing video games(?) Does it have a bias toward LCD over plasma for gaming (common myth when choosing a HDTV). I'm no expert and do not work in the electronics field, but it's evident that it's not throwing back results in a particularly flexible way. This has to affect the overall validity IMO. Inquiring minds....

-Pedro

Collapse -
updated
by elmfrank / February 9, 2009 3:21 AM PST

Pedro:

Your responses continue to be appreciated.

Actually we recently updated it so it prefers plasmas over LCDs for gaming based on their quicker response time.

I am not sure you can 100% take into account the quality of a specific product as opinion will vary greatly from expert to expert. You can take into account "facts" about a unit and then run that through one experts opinion. I cannot get into specifics as to how how much time playing videogames changes the output beyond saying that certainly the type of panel (lcd, plasma, etc) is affected and the amount it is affected varies based on how much you play videogames.

The size formula also is not absolute...it is a contributing factor but based on your other answers the size can be overruled. In fact if you choose a distance that would lend itself to a very small option we offer the answer to override it completely as we know some people do not want very small TVs.

Collapse -
+
by jonnybones / February 5, 2009 12:44 PM PST

Well I usually recommend Samsung, but since you are comparing 2 completely different types of TV's, go with the sharp.

Collapse -
THIS BEGS THE QUESTION; SHOULDN'T NEW POSTERS DO SOME.....
by Riverledge / February 6, 2009 4:14 PM PST

HOMEWORK ON THEIR OWN???

BOTH DECENT MODELS, HOWEVER YOUR QUESTION JUST SHOWS LAZINESS ON YOUR

BEHALF. APPLES + ORANGES.

RIVER.

Collapse -
(NT) Aren't you sort of late to the party?? (n/t)
by Pepe7 / February 9, 2009 5:47 AM PST
Collapse -
Anything by panasonic
by bright-shop / February 10, 2009 1:21 AM PST

I'm a fan of Panasonic true 1080p models, real good picture, if that is of any help.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.