TVs & Home Theaters forum

Which TV should I get?

by Darenzo95 / February 21, 2013 5:25 AM PST

Ok, I have narrowed my selection of what TVs to get down to 4, and I want to know which to buy and if you are going to recommend something different, keep in mind I only have a budget of $590-600

-1st Choice
Vizio 42" LED 1080p 120Hz E420i-A0

-2nd Choice
Samsung 51" Plasma 720p 600Hz 450 Series

-3rd Choice
Samsung 40" LED 1080p 120Hz UN40EH6000

-4th Choice
Vizio 42" LCD 1080p 120Hz 3D E3D420VX

All the links are not necessarily where I'm buying the product from, they just serve as a way of you to be able to view the specs. Thanks in advance.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Which TV should I get?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Which TV should I get?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
What's your budget, ~$500-600?
by Pepe7 / February 22, 2013 12:27 AM PST
In reply to: Which TV should I get?

And why the variance in screen size? Are you leaning towards the biggest display that fits your budget, or the one which provides the best picture quality?

All Answers

Collapse -
I would look at the U50 if possible
by Pepe7 / February 22, 2013 12:32 AM PST
In reply to: Which TV should I get?
Collapse -
by Darenzo95 / February 22, 2013 5:06 AM PST

My budget is $600, but I may get the TV you suggested, and also I'm just aiming towards a TV that will give really nice picture quality for blu-ray and gaming.

Collapse -
The one I suggested can do all of that (NT)
by Pepe7 / February 22, 2013 7:05 AM PST
In reply to: Clarification

Collapse -
Out of the ones I have listed which should I get?
by Darenzo95 / February 22, 2013 5:08 AM PST

Well the subject says it all, I know that TV you recommended looks really nice, I may consider it, but I rather get a TV that I won't have to go over my budget, so out of the ones I listed which is best?

Collapse -
I'd narrow it to #1, #3 & #4
by Pepe7 / February 22, 2013 7:07 AM PST

Best way to go is to see them in person. Make sure you do that before you pull the trigger. Vizio is a love/hate thing with me. Hard to get parts for them sometimes even though initially you may be pulled in by price/feature set.

That particular plasma is a non-starter for me since it's 720p.

Collapse -
I've seen #1 and #3 in person
by Darenzo95 / February 22, 2013 9:26 AM PST

As said in subject I've seen choices #1 and 3, but not side by side, because one is at Bestbuy and the other Walmart, and #4 is only purchasable online, I mean the Samsung(#3) looked only slightly better than the Vizio, but it only has 2 HDMI inputs, and the Vizio(#1) looks really nice also, and it has 3 HDMI inputs and is 2" bigger, but everyone says Samsung is the best way to go no matter what. Also is the other Vizio(#4) really worth getting, I mean the reviews are amazing, and it's 3D, but it's LCD, but I've never had a 3D tv so I wouldn't no if it is worth wild. So in YOUR opinion which do you think would be a better choice in reliability wise and durability wise? Which do you think in YOUR opinion is overall, better?

Collapse -
I'd pick the Samsung by support alone
by Pepe7 / February 22, 2013 12:13 PM PST

A lot of the post-sales activity by Vizio leaves much to be desired. PQ-wise, that Sammy certainly won't be any wore than either of those Vizios. 3D at this stage is a gimmick more than anything relevant IMNSHO and E.

Collapse -
Soo.. Choice #3?
by Darenzo95 / February 23, 2013 2:52 AM PST

So Samsung will have better support, and most likely better picture quality, and Vizio will probably have more apps, but Samsung in PQ-wise will be better, and they are more reliable, right?

Collapse -
It's very likely, yes (n/t)
by Pepe7 / February 25, 2013 2:54 AM PST
In reply to: Soo.. Choice #3?

Collapse -
4D overtakes 3D for sure
by vinay-techamneder_com / February 23, 2013 8:30 PM PST

3D tv gives a differnt experience, but is not suitable to watch on tv. Watching tv for lot of time with those glasses on is not convinient.
Surely 4D will replace 3D in no time, it will gain instant popularity as is suitable for viewing from any angle and there is no need of glasses.

from vinay

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.