TVs & Home Theaters forum

which TV is better

by medoos / October 4, 2013 2:37 AM PDT

Hello cnet,

I am about getting an new TV, but I am totaly lost.
There are too many types and variation.

I want to know which one is better:

LG 42LN5758 OR
Samsung UE42F5570

I'll be grateful for any details

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: which TV is better
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: which TV is better
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Understanding your needs and preferences
by Wildblood82 / October 6, 2013 6:17 PM PDT
In reply to: which TV is better

TVs today can be split into two categories: Plasma and LCD (LED TVs are actually LCDs).
Both come with advantages and disadvantages. The main points are: Plasmas have much better contrast (ignore the dynamic contrast number - it's misleading and more of a lie than a truth), they handle motion much, much better than LCDs, have wider viewing angles, and are cheaper. LCDs are much brighter than Plasmas. All other differences your read are outdated or negligible so ignore them.

1) What size are you looking for? Does it have to be 42, or is bigger/smaller ok?
2) What's the ambient light like in your TV room when you use your TV the most (i.e is it very bright? Will you be able to see you lights or windows reflected on the screen? What direction does the light hit the TV from?)
3) What will the TV be used for? (Movies? 3D? Video games?)
4) What's your budget?

First thing is to determine if you need LCD or Plasma. Afterwards we can work on the pickier details.

All Answers

Collapse -
Hard to be certain
by Pepe7 / October 4, 2013 4:06 AM PDT
In reply to: which TV is better

You really need to do a side by side comparison of image quality, using the same source for each, etc.

One thing I notice is that the Samsung seems to have a dual core processor. Might be a bit faster when web browsing, going through the menus, etc. If that's important to you above image quality.

Collapse -
by medoos / October 4, 2013 7:45 AM PDT
In reply to: Hard to be certain

thank you for your reply.
I am concern about the technology of both.
Samsung is Direct Led and LG is LED Backlight.
Is there any differences, and which one is better?

Collapse -
Direct led?
by Oldartq / October 4, 2013 5:07 PM PDT
In reply to: Thanks

I have not heard of that term before. Can you provide a link to that?

Collapse -
Local Dimming is the better technology
by Pepe7 / October 7, 2013 1:32 AM PDT
In reply to: thanks
Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.