Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Which Totally Free Security System is best ?

by Newbie Chris / September 17, 2010 3:17 AM PDT

I have a dell gx260 Optiplex 1gb RAM computer,with XP O/S.
Which totally free Security system is best,all-around, Mocrosoft Security Essentials, or Spyware Terminator(anti-malware/trojans/rootkits/worms etc, with clam anti-virus), OR Microsoft Security Essentials.
I am a Novice with computers. Thanks, Chris-Hull.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Which Totally Free Security System is best ?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Which Totally Free Security System is best ?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Which Totally Free Security System Is Best?
by Carol~ Forum moderator / September 17, 2010 1:37 PM PDT

Hi Chris..

I wish I could be of help, but I haven't used either. If you read through some of the threads at this forum, or find some by making use of the search function at the top of the page, most will say there is no such thing as "best".

A lot depends upon what your expectations are from the two. If you feel your security software is going to protect you no matter "where you go" or "what you do or", then neither will do. If you realize the level of security is ALWAYS going to be dictated by you, then either will do. In other words, adopting safe computing habits is of the utmost importance. First and foremost.

Since both are free, you have the luxury of installing each (separately) and trying them out. You can be then be the judge, of which one you feel is the "best".

Best of luck..
Carol

Collapse -
Which computer security system is best ?
by Newbie Chris / September 17, 2010 7:36 PM PDT

Thankyou very much. I hope I get a direct answer to my question,from somebody who's used both; but your answer is very interesting and I've learned a lot from it...........
I am only a Novice but I learn more and more, as time goes on.................including when I visit this 'site.......
Thankyou,
VTC

Collapse -
Anti-virus
by iamwhoiam70 / September 18, 2010 9:02 AM PDT

I don't know which one is the best...since I've not used them all lol, but I've used FREE Avast AntiVirus for that last 3 or 4 yrs, and really have had no trouble at all. Like 2 viruses that whole time.

BUT, a lot of people's problems arent in the AV programs themselves, it's the places and websites they visit.

Collapse -
My computers Tree Security system.
by Newbie Chris / September 18, 2010 8:04 PM PDT
In reply to: Anti-virus

Thankyou for your answer. Malware is 1 of the biggest problems.
Microsoft malware in particular.........
Thats why I wondered if a microsoft av system would stop microsoft malware ?

Collapse -
I would go with Microsoft Security Essentials ...
by Edward ODaniel / September 18, 2010 1:55 AM PDT
Collapse -
free best security
by rodotx / September 18, 2010 8:24 PM PDT

COMODO
For free, you can't get better than this one.
It is difficult to set up, but it WORKS.
It is UP THERE. and it is Magic, man!
You can install it as a "stand alone " or , you can install it as a multifunctional FIREWALL and complete DEFENSE SYSTEM.
It does "ROOT KITS", "KEY LOGGERS",etc. etc. and you can configure it to your most paranoid fantasies.
You could set it up to "DEFAULT" and it will still look after you.
Type this: http://comodo.com/home/internet-security/free-internet-security.php
(or click on the link)
This is a very powerful all round defense system.
(but of course, remember that you obviousley cannot run two firewalls at the same time), ie: close WINDOWS FIREWALL or whatever you have.
And, don't run two anti virus programs at the same time...ie, AVG
and COMODO. Uninstall your current Antivirus.
My advice, is to install COMODO Firewall and COMODO Antivirus.
Remember to REBOOT after you do this.

Collapse -
My computers best Free all round Security system ?
by Newbie Chris / September 18, 2010 10:49 PM PDT
In reply to: free best security

Thankyou for your answer. You are Very enthuastic about Comodo................. I hope it particularly stops malware,esp Microsoft malware...........
It got on to my computer, and I had to have the damn thing 'wiped',
or I couldn't launch Internet Explorer.
Apart from that, Spyware Terminator seems quite good....(with clam av).

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.