Tablets forum

Question

Which tablet for a noob $200 or LESS

by CBennett47 / August 30, 2011 8:21 AM PDT

Ok here is what I want and need. Our local bookstore just closed down(Boarders) ive realized that pretty much now to get books I was gonna have to get them over the internet or Library. OR I thought I could get a Ereader..more I thought about it I thought that just a simple Ereader may be to little..I like to surf the net, check emails,play a few games and read...so what ive been looking for is something that can accomplish those things in a 7-10" Tablet thats easily portable more so then my lap top.

My wife has a Nook Color that seems decent and does quite a bit of what id like...I just dont know you can watch videos/shows on that or not. I also play that Angry birds a bit but thats not a must lol...I cant think of much else id need really. So I guess my requirements would be

1. Ereader
2. some web surfing(checking sports scores,maybe Google search stuff,and faceook or some such,just general internet stuff)
3. a few games
4. watch videos/shows possibly but not a must.

Im a noob , total noob I dont want anything I need to be some kind of elite computer hacker/developer to be able to get running right just something that will more or less do what I want out of the box for the most part. Or at least something so simple to upgrade even a cave man could do it.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Which tablet for a noob $200 or LESS
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Which tablet for a noob $200 or LESS
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
So far all sub 200 buck units are to be avoided.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 30, 2011 10:57 AM PDT
Collapse -
Thanks this is what ive been looking at doing
by CBennett47 / August 30, 2011 11:38 AM PDT

I was looking at the Nook Color refurbs that save around $80 or so at about $170 give or take. And the HP Touchpad as it also seems to do everything I need it to but just cant find one yet but from what ive seen it will do the e reader thing, web surf, let me play a few simple games and well thats about it. Id also seen the Coby kyros 7022 getting decent reviews???

Collapse -
Sorry. Let me give you the list for Android.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 30, 2011 2:59 PM PDT

Your first unit was close but no-name so I cringe at that plus shipping fees.

Here's the list I've learned to look for (our office is working on Android apps).

Cap Touch
G sensor
Android Market
Bluetooth
Wifi
memory card.

That's usually enough to be sure you'll get the full android experience.

As to the HP pad. Research that and folk are working to get Android on it.
Bob

Collapse -
you got most of what I want listed
by CBennett47 / August 31, 2011 7:46 AM PDT

I agree doing a bit of research to not be so noobish I do like

1. cap touch yes!
2. G sensor is ok also
3. Android market...I guess ok but im just trying to figure out how much I really need it or what id actually use I guess in other words whats it offer that I need or would not get on other platforms..(meaning specific examples )
4. Bluetooth....not really a need as I dont have it now and see (for me) no real use for it
5. Wifi is a must
6. memory card also useful +

Collapse -
After trying a few without the Market.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 31, 2011 8:55 AM PDT

It's definitely on my list.

You seem to waffle on the G sensor. Wait till you try all these apps and find out that app you want needs it! Same for bluetooth.

Bob

Collapse -
I do want the G sensor but dont care about bluetooth
by CBennett47 / August 31, 2011 10:23 AM PDT

I cant think of anything id use bluetooth for thats all..I dont have anything with it now and dont use it now..the wife uses it in her SUV with her cellphone for handsfree stuff but thats it..I just cant think of a real use to ME for the Bluetooth deal. And yes I like the auto screen roataion so i assume the G sensor does that?? if so yeah I want that. but like I said...no one has been able to give me a good reason to have the bluetooth..I know what it is/does and I just dont use anything with it/that has it now so it would not be used and isnt a must....I mean if there is some thing that bluetooth would offer im missing im all ears...

Collapse -
Here I use it for
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 31, 2011 10:29 AM PDT

Our office works on apps that configure bluetooth connected machines. So we can't do without. It's also good for syncing when wifi is not an option as well as the obvious audio.

Since we can't add it later, you may have to make your choice.
Bob

Collapse -
I see but...
by CBennett47 / August 31, 2011 11:45 AM PDT
In reply to: Here I use it for

Yeah it would be nice to have but id not consider it a deal breaker cause i own nothing that id really use it with/for the only thing we own thats bluetooth hookup is wifes SUV nothing in the house has it really w just run off the wifi router I know my phone has the capability but I dont use it as there is nothing to use it with lol. so while id consider it a + if a tablet met all the other specs I wanted id not rule it out if it didnt have the BT.

Collapse -
X10 Airpad
by xSpyderZx / September 7, 2011 11:28 PM PDT

Below is a link to the x10 airpad. This 7'' tablet is something to look at as it is an offical android and can access the offical android marketplace. Keep in mind there are different android marketplaces, and look into tablets offering anything less of the offical android market place.

http://www.x10.com/promotions/airpad_7_inch_android_tablet.html?TWENTY11

~Spyderz

Collapse -
Not a bad idea.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 8, 2011 1:39 AM PDT
In reply to: X10 Airpad

Check out the reviews first but this one has some following.

Collapse -
I like it good find but a couple questions on it
by CBennett47 / September 8, 2011 8:39 AM PDT
In reply to: X10 Airpad

Good find and moving near top of list...2 questions though...is the difference in display resolution between that and say the nook Color(dual boot) gonna be a difference as the nook Color seems to have a better resolution(higher) screen????

and I saw the Lenovo A1 ideapad is set to ship this month I believe that has a higher res screen,
Lenovo App shop(not sure what apps are included in that) and a built in GPS at $199
So would it be worth waiting for the A-1?

Since I would be doing a lot of reading and stuff on it I just wanted to be sure the screen Res would be up to par.

Collapse -
Maybe I can compare?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 9, 2011 3:26 AM PDT

I have the Nook Color (with cyranogen) and a gTAB. The Nook color display is really sharp. The gTab is well, nice enough but you have to look at it straight on.
Bob

Collapse -
Yes the Nook Color
by CBennett47 / September 9, 2011 7:50 AM PDT
In reply to: Maybe I can compare?

Yes, I agree, my wife has a nook color. Its a decent tablet/ereader and is high on the list I was thinking of doing a refurbished Nook Color($169-179)+ a dual boot card for that if I go that route..

Right now my options have swung a little with some of the new stuff coming out in no particular order right now im at

1. nook Color+ Dual Boot card(and ive been hearing nook Color2 rumors??)

2. Lenovo A1 Ideapad (got all the stuff I need plus GPS) at $199

3. AirPad X-10 also decent specs but im wondering about the display resolution..id like to see this one in person to see how id like it.

4. Luck into a HP TP but thats at the bottom of the list now because I just dont see it happening.

Collapse -
For the Nook, 12 buck upgrade.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 9, 2011 8:08 AM PDT
In reply to: Yes the Nook Color
Collapse -
Two more options
by Bob_Meyer / September 2, 2011 9:47 AM PDT

I have a Nook Color and I bought a Nook2Android 16GB MicroSd card for $50 on Amazon that makes the Nook Color a dual boot eReader/Android 2.3.4 (Gingerbread)Tablet. If you start with a refurb Nook Color from B&N for $180, your total cost is $230. That's about the best deal you're going to find.

Unless you want to wait until later this month when Lenovo brings out their heavily buzzed A1 Gingerbread Tablet. The 7 inch A1, now shipping in China, is supposed to be available in a 16GB vesrsion for $200.

A different Bob

Collapse -
wow thanks
by CBennett47 / September 2, 2011 12:36 PM PDT
In reply to: Two more options

In my research ive found a few options in no particular order

1. Nook Color refurb
2. HP Touchpad at around $200 for the 16 GB on ebay/amazon or what ever
3. Wait to see if i can nab a $99 Touch pad or 32 at $149 when they do this reissue
4. Wait to see what this new Amazon tablet supposedly released at the end of this month or beginning of Oct ends up being but ive seen $200-250 as the price with( full access to amazon apps)
5. The Lenovo you mentioned

decisions, decisions

Collapse -
Don't forget Nook2Android
by Bob_Meyer / September 2, 2011 1:07 PM PDT
In reply to: wow thanks

You should really add the Nook2Android SD card to your list. All you have to do is put it in the Nook Color and it turns into an Android tablet. It's a really slick product. [And for the record, I have no interest, financial or otherwise, in the Nook2Android or any related product. I just think it's a great product at a great price.]

Bob

Collapse -
Its on the list
by CBennett47 / September 2, 2011 10:28 PM PDT

its on the list officially Happy a nook refurb and that would probably work well.

Collapse -
oh forgot to add
by CBennett47 / September 2, 2011 10:53 PM PDT
In reply to: Its on the list

I think for me right now the only real attraction to the Hp TP is the quality of build and the fact it has the bigger screen. Thats about it though

Collapse -
Ok I MAY be able to wrap this up!
by CBennett47 / September 9, 2011 11:07 PM PDT
In reply to: oh forgot to add

I THINK I got a HP Touchpad 32 GB model the dock and the case for $199 yesterday...Got this yesterday on the QVC combo pack deal and if you add it all up its quite a decent deal actually at $199 for all 3....so far says status processed, label printed and delivery 9/15 ....we shall see. Hopefully like some places did they(QVC) had a better/tighter control on their actuall inventory and it does not mysteriously get cancelled....I even called their Customer service and she confirmed I got one and its a done deal..but till its in my hands lol.

Collapse -
I think after thinking
by CBennett47 / September 9, 2011 11:33 PM PDT

tried to edit that last post and cant(dont see a option to) but I was gonna say reason I went with the Hp Touchpad was I asked myself: as it stands OUT OF THE BOX with no upgrades or getting android on it with its natural Web OS system can I do the following things??

1. Can I use it as a EReader and get books with/on it even with Web OS: YES
2. Can I surf the net with it with Web OS:YES
3. watch some videos:YES
4. play a few games with it with Web OS: Yes
5: Check my Email with it: Yes

6: Do I specifically NEED a Android system or something other than the Hp Touchpad to do any of the things above especially E Reader stuff: NO, not really

Actually the more I thought about it people kept saying but the Android systems have more apps...what more apps do i need to do items 1-5??? I cant think of any really...am I incorrect??

thats about all I need to do with it maybe throw another game or 2 on it and way down the road if I want/need I could always do the Android thing..but seems honestly and realistically for what I want it for Web OS does everything I want/need and more...correct me if im wrong on any of my YES answers please. But from researching more and looking I dont think i am i think all the YES will be YES

Collapse -
HP Touchpad came today
by CBennett47 / September 14, 2011 10:04 AM PDT
In reply to: I think after thinking

Well finally got the HP TP today it was the QVC bundle deal for $199($220 after shipping) which included a case and the charging dock... and I love it so far.... very nice OS and so far does everything I need it to do and a TON more...this thing has a LOT of apps a bunch of them free....I cant figure out what "other" Apps(that this does not have) that id need..(let me know one as I cant think of ANY) so its a win/win.

Collapse -
Answer
HP Touch Pad
by spencer_harper / September 14, 2011 10:52 PM PDT

I would suggest you HP Touchpad.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,224 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,453 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,090 discussions
icon
Security 30,722 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,937 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,295 discussions
icon
Phones 16,252 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,684 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,215 discussions

CNET EDITORS' CHOICE

Roku Streaming Stick 2016

Roku has the most apps, the simplest interface and the best search, making it CNET's favorite way to stream Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, HBO and all the rest.