-PS3; The PS3 is at the very top of my list, but it's expensive for me
at the moment, and I don't know how much time I'd get with it due to my
busy schedule. It has the best features, and I think it would be the
most fun out of all the options. Plus it has some kick-*** games I've
been wanting to play for years.
-Wii U: I'm not terribly interested in buying the

-Wii U, but I've been
looking to break away from the family Wii because I never actually get
to use it. Is it even worth buying? Or should I just get the original?

-Upgrade to a 3DS: I have the DSi, and I hate it. So I was going to
trade it in and get the 3DS. I love how it's portable and can access
Netflix, which is great when I'm not at home(which is most of the time).
The game lineup is flimsy, though. And there isn't much in the eShop
that I can't get on/prefer over the Wii's Virtual Console.

-PSP: I've never had a SP, so I'm torn between getting the Vita, or the
3000. The Vita would be nice because I wouldn't have to re-buy my games
since I don't have any. But, as far as I know, not every game is
available on Vita. The 3000 is nice, but Sony is clearly phasing out
UMD's, so I think I would eventually have to buy my games again if/when
my 3000 stops working in a few years.

So what do you guys think? What are some of your opinions on which
system I should get? Keeping in mind that I probably won't get much time
with a console, I'm leaning toward the 3DS or PSP/Vita.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Which system should I buy?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Which system should I buy?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
My thoughts
by Jimmy Greystone / September 25, 2011 6:36 AM PDT

My thoughts would be it sounds like you want something portable, and if you dislike the DSi, I don't think you'll fall in love with the 3DS. It's basically the DSi with some minor refinements and the 3D gimmick which appears to be like those old holograph baseball cards and what not. I expect that you'd be sorely disappointed with Netflix on a 3DS. It's a small, low resolution, display.

I don't know much about the Vita, except that Sony is replacing the UMD with a different proprietary memory card tech. I also seem to recall seeing somewhere that the battery life on it isn't all that great. Then again, if you're just going to be picking it up and playing for a few minutes here and there, battery life probably won't be a big issue.

The PSP isn't a bad system overall, but the UMD really crippled it. Not just in terms of performance, which was bad enough, but also because it was a proprietary format used ONLY by the PSP. It only had something like 1.8GB of storage, which isn't a lot for games. There's a reason the UMD movie idea flopped. Who wants to pay the same price, or more, for a lower quality version of a movie you can get on DVD with all the extras?

Sony's game division really seems to have lost its focus ever since the PS2. Now they can't quite decide if the PS3 is a movie player, game console, or slimline PC (I guess they did decide it's not that when they removed the Other OS feature). Now they're adding in all of this quasi-social networking garbage, and they're just trying to be too many things to too many different groups of people. Same issue with the Xbox 360, but the PSP and Vita (I would presume) as well. The PSP has all kinds of multimedia features, which are nice, but ultimately the thing is a game console. They even added some PSX emulation, which is also nice, except that the PSP really just doesn't have the necessary power to pull it off in a lot of cases. It was hampered by a bunch of crappy ports of PS2 games, and absolutely NOTHING I have seen in the past several years has given me ANY reason to believe that Sony's management has pulled it's collective head out of its ****. They seem to be so disconnected from reality, that you get these vastly over-engineered and expensive devices.

Despite that, the Vita may be your best bet going forward. That's where all the development is going to be focused looking to the future, though if you get a PSP there's a decent sized catalog of existing games which you could pick up cheap used at a place like GameStop.

Collapse -
by Nsbarker / October 10, 2011 12:10 AM PDT
In reply to: My thoughts

Would you consider purchasing an x-box? Or is that entirely out of the question?

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.