The CNET Lounge

General discussion

Which search engine to do use?

by FrankQC / May 14, 2009 4:58 AM PDT

In your browser, the search engine at the end of the URL, what do you use and why?

Google
Yahoo!
Wikipedia
eBay
Package Search (for linux)

Other? If so, what?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Which search engine to do use?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Which search engine to do use?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Google Google Google
by BookMama2 / May 15, 2009 12:40 AM PDT

I google, google, google all day long. Hubby and son are Yahoo fans, but I'm a googler from the word go.

Why? couple reasons. They find stuff, especially tiny phrases that I remember from something I read two days ago... really well and really fast.

Secondly, I like that they are A SEARCH ENGINE first and foremost. I use the Google taskbar mostly, but if I do go to their homepage, what does it expect me to do... SEARCH. Yahoo wants to tell me 10 signs my guy is cheating and 5 foods I should eat and ... you get the idea.

Collapse -
Haha yeah I get what you mean.
by FrankQC / May 15, 2009 1:58 AM PDT
In reply to: Google Google Google

Yahoo has lots of things in it whereas Google is just clean and simple. You can make it complicated using iGoogle SHOULD you want it. Or else you can just stay with the classic Google layout and just use it for accessing your Google account and searching the web.

Collapse -
Google all the way
by TechTest / July 19, 2010 8:17 AM PDT
In reply to: Google Google Google

Google - It finds small phrases and such way better than any other. I have a good memeory, so I'm always looking up sites, books, things I've read based on specific snippets I remember.

Collapse -
i use goodsearch
by sexydarin / May 22, 2009 4:38 PM PDT

it domates a penny to a charity of your choice for every search you make. It also makes donations to your selected charity if you purchase from selected online stores. It is powered by yahoo. If you want to give to charity the easy and inexpensive way try www.goodsearch.com

Collapse -
99% of the time Google
by jonah jones / May 22, 2009 5:16 PM PDT

partly for the same reason as BookMama2, you remember a phrase or just a few words from a song and Google will usually supply the goods

1% wikipedia (taking into account that any info found there is all based on 'freelancers' and not exactly carved in stone)

Collapse -
Both Yahoo and Google
by Dango517 / May 22, 2009 7:55 PM PDT

Yahoo for buttons and bookmarks

Google for spell check and relavent searches

I often need two search engines at one time. If I had room I'd run three search engines.

Collapse -
Great PQ--I mean PR
by helsharmar / May 23, 2009 12:16 AM PDT
In reply to: Both Yahoo and Google

If you use Google for "relavent" searches, I guess you didn't use it to spell relevant.

Collapse -
a search engine that has both
by cmpbllrck / May 24, 2009 6:20 AM PDT
In reply to: Both Yahoo and Google
Collapse -
not much to choose from
by richteral / May 23, 2009 7:47 PM PDT

Google is the Big Daddy, so choice No. 1; it delivers well.
Yahoo an option if I am signed in; it works fine.
But quite deliberately I prefer to set my homepage at Cuil - it is black and quirky, which makes it easy on the eye and refreshing for the mind. Serendipity rules OK.

Collapse -
I use Clusty
by TomD / May 26, 2009 3:10 AM PDT

Clusty clusters the search into groups which narrow down what I may be looking for. If something is not found in Clusty, I'll try a second time in Google. If not in Google, I won't continue looking.
Tom in California

Collapse -
GOOGLE
by goldentraders / June 10, 2009 5:20 PM PDT

I use Google all the time... It actually gives the closest article related to my search... But to look for more extensive topic, I use Yahoo!

Collapse -
Google
by iremel / June 14, 2009 4:50 PM PDT

I thought there is only one, GOOGLE. It's easy to use and not cluttered.

Collapse -
Google
by cristi777 / June 21, 2009 9:44 PM PDT

I use Google all the time. It offer me most relevant results.

Collapse -
google
by why636 / July 3, 2009 3:40 AM PDT
In reply to: Google

its the best ask anyone no one likes bing its gay

Collapse -
(NT) Bing isn't that bad.
by FrankQC / July 3, 2009 4:33 AM PDT
In reply to: google
Collapse -
hi
by fairy2010 / July 26, 2010 8:38 PM PDT

I think 80% people saod they are using Google. I'm also using google for any search.....

Collapse -
Google is King
by Williamer / August 2, 2010 12:45 AM PDT

Bing! Hahaa what a joke! I use Google, even though it is a big money grabbing monster who has monopolised our world. http://www.google.com.au also has search restrictions on it..there is a black list! Disgusting.

Collapse -
Which search engine to do use?
by GreatGazoo25 / July 23, 2009 7:53 PM PDT

Google

Collapse -
Search
by gargamel360 / June 12, 2010 3:07 PM PDT

Ixquick......really, I'm serious.

Collapse -
got to be google
by justin9640 / August 17, 2009 1:52 AM PDT

this searches are the fastest and since i have a google search bar on the top of my browser it's just a no brainer.

Collapse -
Bing is Awesome!
by IanBro / August 22, 2009 6:45 PM PDT

I like Bing since of there changing photos everyday... and it's easier Happy

Collapse -
That's a strange argument.
by Kees Bakker / August 22, 2009 6:59 PM PDT
In reply to: Bing is Awesome!

Searching isn't about the picture on the first screen, I'd say. In fact, putting a picture on the first screen slows it down. So it's a reason to NOT like bing.

Kees

Collapse -
Bing can't find MS info!!!!
by radspot / August 25, 2009 8:50 AM PDT
In reply to: Bing is Awesome!

Just installed Win7 64Bit RC update KB972047...wanted to know just what it was...clicked from installation list in Win7...claims no information available...go to an XP machine, go to MS.com, search site, search web, search support, search support, with and without space between letters an numbers...the best Bing could tell me...no document matches, etc...enter KB972047 in my firefox google search bar...and below is VERY FIRST RESULT!!! MS should be embarrassed!

Download details: Update for Windows 7 Release Candidate (KB972407)
Aug 24, 2009 ... Install this update to resolve an issue in which there is loss of access to shared data on a computer departing a homegroup or when joined ...
www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en... - Similar

Collapse -
Search engine
by maceman69-234090513641357 / June 2, 2010 5:38 PM PDT

I use a lot Google and Wikipedia, sometimes Google Scholar.

Maceman

Collapse -
Search engine...
by out_fisherman / June 10, 2010 10:53 AM PDT
In reply to: Search engine

IXQUICK.

No ads, doesn't save IP address,
and usually finds what i need.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Bing.
by ndfan236-2348608485923434 / June 19, 2010 4:17 AM PDT
Collapse -
google
by orenmilk1 / June 20, 2010 9:30 PM PDT

I am using google all the time
I think it is the best

Collapse -
Search engine
by lailagwb / March 16, 2012 6:55 PM PDT

In my opinion Google is the best search engine.

Collapse -
google
by mylovem / March 27, 2012 4:40 PM PDT

google , it inform me of special day. Happy

Collapse -
Google #1
by KenHusveg / March 27, 2012 7:01 PM PDT

...but lately I've been experimenting with DuckDuckGo.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.