Samsung forum

General discussion

Which Samsung TV has true matte screen and web browser ?

by Console77 / May 20, 2012 8:02 AM PDT

I look for a new 40" LCD TV, my main requirements are true matte screen, thin LED TV of latest generation, Wi-Fi and a web browser supporting playing videos on-line. If the TV has camera and Skype this is a big plus.

A general question, can the web browser in Samsung 2012 7/8 models play videos shown on a web site ? Which types of videos cant the web browser play ?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Which Samsung TV has true matte screen and web browser ?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Which Samsung TV has true matte screen and web browser ?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I have to go with no.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 20, 2012 8:05 AM PDT

No HDTV model so far plays for example from HULU.COM. Youtube seems OK but you use the Youtube app rather than the HDTV.

Folk seem to be wanting the full Windows PC browser experience and they are often upset at the limitations you find in BD players and HDTVs.

Collapse -
Waiting for the technology in LCD TVs
by Console77 / May 20, 2012 8:24 AM PDT
In reply to: I have to go with no.

If this is true - its apporing news.

We are in my house now moving from watching TV over DVBT/DVBS to Internet TV. The public service in my country has now all channels live on the net, and now start with HBBTV. DVBx is dead, but still no TV sets are prepared ?

We have a 4 year old LCD TV with true matte screen, and enjoy every day the clean and clear picture thinking of the terrible plasma ( in terms of reflections ) we had before. We use a notebook with HDMI connected to the TV, but this becomes a bit unpractical in the long run. So if no TV support that we can watch the broadcast on Internet, then a compact Media Center with a remote will be the solution for now ? And wait for the TV industry to catch up ? And if no matte screen, its out of question any way to "down grade" picture quality.

Instead of throwing an ARM processor in and a custom home-brew OS, why not trow in a ULV i5 based system ? How difficult can it be to make a proper TV - they want to melt the TV and the computer - then do it !

Collapse -
Pretty difficult.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 20, 2012 8:27 AM PDT

Consider what you saw on HDTVs just 2 years ago. No web browsers.

It appears that you are asking for a PC in your HDTV!

Collapse -
by Console77 / May 20, 2012 8:40 AM PDT
In reply to: Pretty difficult.

Yes - I was actually thinking this same thought today searching the net.

It makes no sense to make custom hardware and a custom OS, when standard hardware and OS are already invented, including support for camera, browser etc.

The Philips LCD TV we have is terrible in terms of OS, they all have same problems cause the dont take the full step from start, but try using ARM.

A Samsung 40" 7000 LCD would be very nice, especially since I think a TV set cannot be decided without also taking the mobile and the tablet into account, Galaxy III and the tablet support, makes the Samsung a right choice - Philips, Sharp, Apple cant do that !

Collapse -
by Console77 / May 20, 2012 8:54 AM PDT
In reply to: Pretty difficult.

I find it strange that TV manufacurers, having huge resources available, make a TV set with a camera + two microphones placed as a house on the top bezel - the camera should be incorporated in the bezel, have a on-led, and a mic in the center of each of the side-bezels - at level of the mouth and large distance for better stereo sound. But perhaps next year ?

Next year all LCD TVs will have a 10mm bezel and look equal, only thing differentiating will be if there is a on-led or not, if the screen is matte or glossy, if there is a full web browser or not. Picture quality is now so good, that a mid-range will do just fine for 98% of the users.

Just my private subjective point of view - well see you next year then.

Collapse -
The more you research this, the more you bump into....
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 20, 2012 10:22 AM PDT
In reply to: Strange

Collapse -
by Console77 / May 20, 2012 7:53 PM PDT

So someone made a patent on placing a camera in a bezel - mics in the side bezel ? I say buy the patent rights and get moving Wink

I have continued to try chrunch this problem - A Galaxy Tab could be used as a media center and a remote, since Samsung TV do not use Android, a solution might be to use a Galaxy 10.1 ( which use Android and thereby HTML5 ), which use an APP ( HTML5 page ) streaming over the Wi-Fi, which is screen shared with a Smart TV ?

1) Is is possible to screen share the Galaxy on a Smart TV ( I know its possible the other way around ) ?
2) Is the quality equal ?
3) Is is possible for a Galaxy to bot receive a streaming video ( HTML5 ) from the Internet and screen share with a Smart TV ?

Actually it makes sense to use a Tablet - to put all functionality in the "remote" ( Galaxy 10.1 ) and have a TV set which is a non-intelligent monitor having a Wi-Fi connection.

Collapse -
1. If the device has an HDMI output, usually OK
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 21, 2012 1:04 AM PDT
In reply to: Patents

2. Can't tell. Many complain about what happens with blowing up small screen images.
3. Usually works with the HDMI connection.

Collapse -
TV Shopping
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / May 21, 2012 1:54 AM PDT

I recommend you take a look at Samsung's TV offerings via our website. Not only can you see the full line of current models available, but there are several sets in the 40" range that are from varying product lines. You can sort by Most Popular, Best Reviewed or even specific type (LCD, LED or Plasma). You'll have the ability to learn about specific features and much, much more via the specific product pages as well.

-- HD Tech

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Having Wi-Fi troubles?

From the garage to the basement, we blanketed every square inch of the CNET Smart Home with fast, reliable Wi-Fi.