Android forum

Resolved Question

Which reasonable (off-contract) Android has the best camera?

by josh81 / October 16, 2013 4:51 AM PDT

My wife has an iPhone 4S that lately has turned to garbage... seems to be the way every iPhone I've ever owned goes - new model or iOS releases, suddenly the "old" one starts a slow spiral to its death. Anyhow, her phone is dog-slow now and everything crashes. I've tried wiping, but no luck - it needs to be gone.

I have a Nexus 4 and love it - she, however, does not. Its camera is nowhere near the camera in her 4S** - totally still pics look fine but ANY movement ruins mine - her iPhone does much better at this; we have a 14-month old and like most people her phone IS her camera, for better or for worse. We have a nice DSLR but she prefers the quick-convenience of shooting with her phone for day-to-day pics of the baby. We need to find her an Android with an EXCELLENT camera in the sub $300 range. Don't mind to buy something used or refurb, but we will NOT do a contract. She uses Straight Talk with GSM service.

Any suggestions? I love my Nexus 4, but I have to agree with her that the camera is lacking (at least when compared to the iPhone). I really hate to sink money into an iPhone 5 (it'd be more than $300 anyway) that will start this same spiral in a year's time...

josh81 has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Which reasonable (off-contract) Android has the best camera?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Which reasonable (off-contract) Android has the best camera?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by josh81

Collapse -
CNET just updated the list.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 16, 2013 4:55 AM PDT
Collapse -
Well and good but...
by josh81 / October 16, 2013 5:00 AM PDT

All of those are out of my range. Basically, I'm asking for opinions on last year's models that should be considerably less. For example, would an S3 be competitive with the 4S... or an HTC One S... or a Sony Xperia S??? These are all sub $300. She's not into having the biggest screen or the wildest specs (she's perfectly happy with her 4S when its not being goofy lol) - I told her multiple times to get a Nexus 4 while they were $199 but she wouldn't hear of it (hates the camera in mine).

Collapse -
To answer that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 16, 2013 5:04 AM PDT
In reply to: Well and good but...

Just pull up a review on the S3 and see if it holds up. Also, head to the store and take a few snaps with the prospective unit.

I have an older HTC One with the 8MP camera and it was good enough for me to leave my camera at home during trips. But that one cost too much a month so I moved back to a contract Android phone and bring a real camera.

Collapse -
by josh81 / October 16, 2013 5:09 AM PDT
In reply to: To answer that.

... if only stores put more REAL phones on display. :-D Seems everywhere I go (Best Buy, Walmart/Target, etc.) that all they have on display are "dummy" phones. How am I supposed to check THAT out? I was actually reading the S3 review when I saw your response. It looks promising; I've read good things about the Xperia S, too? Ever had hands/eyes on with its camera?

Collapse -
Sorry no. But we can find example photos.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 16, 2013 5:13 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks....
Collapse -
Thanks... again. :-)
by josh81 / October 16, 2013 5:17 AM PDT

OK thanks. Feel like I've found some pretty good help on this. Combining terms on Google (duh), I found CNet's own comparison of the Xperia S and the 4S (Xperia was no match, basically). So now it's between the S3 and the One X - I'll let the boss decide and go from there. Thanks for your help!

Collapse -
Dummy phones
by birdmantd Forum moderator / October 16, 2013 8:48 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks....

The reason many locations do not have "live" models anymore is due to theft and damage of the display units. Gets too expensive to have to replace those phones at a certain point. Dummy phones are much cheaper if they need to be replaced. Don't blame the store due to user abuse/theft of the display models.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.