Video Games & Consoles forum

General discussion

Which PS3 Games Should I buy?

by Jivedaddy / July 20, 2007 10:06 AM PDT

Okay, not that Sony dropped the price, I ordered a PS3 on (no tax and free shipping).

What two-three games should I buy? I'm a 40 yr. old gamer and like Splinter Cell, Socom, Half-Life 2, and the like.

Thanks Everyone!

P.S. Does it matter where you buy your PS3 for the 5 free Blu-Ray movies deal many retailers are offering? I didn't see it on Amazon, but at many other online vendors. Thanks again!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Which PS3 Games Should I buy?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Which PS3 Games Should I buy?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
these might be a good start.
by cnd36 / July 31, 2007 5:18 AM PDT

I would suggest Call Of Duty 4 (not out yet)
Ghost Recon: Advanced War fighter 2 (aug 7th)( not out yet)
Battlefield: Bad Company (not out yet)

games that are out: if you like shooter games
Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Vegas, (at stores)

these are just some of the games that I think you will want in your collection.

Collapse -
by Kingp1n / August 1, 2007 4:36 AM PDT

Being close to 40 myself, we have similar taste in games.

Resistance, fall of man is very good. Also Rainbow Six, Vegas is excellent as well.

There is Splinter Cell: Double Agent also availible, but I have not played that one yet.

My suggestion is this, rent games from Blockbuster before you buy.

As far as the 5 blu-ray movie deal, check Sony's website. If multiple retailers are offering the same deal, it more than likely is coming straight from Sony.

Collapse -
did u know?
by cnd36 / August 2, 2007 4:28 AM PDT
In reply to: Games...

I would also recommend that you wait Aug 12 is when the new ps3 80 gig comes out

sure its more money but 20 gig more HD

Collapse -
Thanks everyone...
by Jivedaddy / August 2, 2007 4:49 AM PDT
In reply to: did u know?

Okay, I've read the posts and made my purchases...

Picked up three games (should last me through Holidays)...

1. Resistance, Fall of Man
2. Motor Storm
3. Fight Night Round 3

I also purchased the 60GB PS3 off of Amazon for a couple of reasons...

1. I had the money
2. Sony dropped the price $100
3. No tax and free shipping on

Thanks everyone.

I've also noticed the games don't look anywhere near as good as the videos I'd seen from E3 the past couple years. Resistance looks good, but not great, Fight Night looks nowhere near as photo-realistic and the E3 video from 2 years ago. Motor Storm looks pretty good, but the mud splatters again are nothing like the videos from E3. Guess I'm going to stop believing the pre-release videos altogether from here on out.

Although the recent video (in-game) footage of Metal Gear 4 looks amazing. Another game I'm looking forward to is Uncharted: Drakes Fortune, this game looks great. But then again, what am I to believe until they actually come out...

Collapse -
about the five movies!!
by joker5667 / August 2, 2007 1:12 PM PDT
In reply to: Thanks everyone...

if you go to the amazon website at and look at the ps3 60GB
on that page there is a line that says this:

Purchase a Sony PlayStation 3 and receive 5 FREE Blu-Ray movies. Purchase between July 1, 2007 and September 30, 2007, mail-in offer only. Click here for mail-in form and promotion detail.

click here and you have to complete the form and mail in your UPC and choose from the limited selection they have!

Collapse -
by Jivedaddy / August 2, 2007 2:01 PM PDT

Cool, they must have added that after I took the plunge for mine. I did download the form from another website and sent it in.

The only thing I didn't like about this promo is I had to remove the original UPC from my PS3 box. Kinda weirds me out in case I ever had to return it. Probably no big deal...

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.