Computer Help forum

General discussion

Which Program is best to use to Hide my IP Address

by Spontaneous_D / December 5, 2010 4:42 AM PST

Can anyone tell me which program is the best to use to hide my IP Address?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Which Program is best to use to Hide my IP Address
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Which Program is best to use to Hide my IP Address
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
How would internet traffic get to you?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 5, 2010 4:47 AM PST

If your IP was truly hidden, how would web or other content get to you?

This is like removing the numbers from your post box and expecting the mail to be delivered.

As the IP address is the basis of how information gets back to your PC, hiding it should disconnect your machine from the internet.

Collapse -
PS. I have to add this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 5, 2010 5:07 AM PST

There is money to be made by scamming folk into hide my IP "solutions."

As you will find out, these are only scams.

Collapse -
Hide, in what way?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / December 5, 2010 4:53 AM PST

What do you mean by hide?

There's no true way to hide your IP address. That would be like having a postal address that the Post-Office can't find. You may get plenty of letters, but they never get delivered. Your computer needs a visible IP address otherwise browsers and other internet connection devices would not be able to send or receive data.

A firewall works pretty well at hiding your computer on a network. It allows all the data in and out that your system needs, like browser web site data and so on, but hides your computer from hackers.

To give web sites a false address you would need to connect to a Proxy Server. I don't know much about it but I understand that the paid ones are expensive and the free ones can be suspect. But even then, the Proxy server needs to know where your computer is,m (eg the IP address), to receive and deliver data to it, and so there are always records.

Or did you mean something else?

Collapse -
IP Address
by Spontaneous_D / December 5, 2010 5:14 AM PST
In reply to: Hide, in what way?

I was meaning, like say if I want to surf the internet without my sites being traced, and/or send a email to someone, etc anonymously. How can I stop it from being traced or whatever?

Collapse -
I don't think it is possible.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 5, 2010 5:18 AM PST
In reply to: IP Address

While the reasons are not revealed, if I go to some public library and not use my machine or any account I had before then an email might be traced to that machine at that time but unless they have security cameras it is as close to untraceable as it gets.

Is that what you need?

Collapse -
Some What!
by Spontaneous_D / December 5, 2010 5:22 AM PST

Yes sort of! However, ok, for example go and look at this website

the things that they are offering are what I am speaking of right now. Specifically under the things they are offering for "Personal Use". As well as when, I recieve an email from someone in my email account. I can see their IP address. How can I encrpt mine from being seen.

Collapse -
I thought we debunked this?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 5, 2010 5:30 AM PST
In reply to: Some What!

Even a PROXY must have your IP to forward content to. And they can log that.

Sorry but tell us if that was unclear.

Collapse -
Missing my Point!
by Spontaneous_D / December 5, 2010 5:35 AM PST

Maybe its a bit confusing what I am asking so let me be a little bit more specific.

I understand what you are saying that there is no way to "REALLY" hide my ip address because even the proxy stores it, but what I am asking is, is there a way to hide it from a person2person.....ex. john doe to sally mae. Also is there a way to hide it from a site that i am surfing. That is what I am asking. I hope that clears it up a little bit better!

Collapse -
Depends on who john or sally is.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 5, 2010 5:38 AM PST
In reply to: Missing my Point!

For example your governments mandate IP logs be available. There is a long discussion about that so I won't duplicate that. So if Sally CIA is talking to you via a proxy them they have the means to tap the proxy vendor for the last hop.

Does that answer how this works?

Collapse -
by Spontaneous_D / December 5, 2010 5:41 AM PST

I guess so, but truly was not going that deep. I was looking for like a P2P conversation through email, chatting, or surfing websites like that lmao...

Collapse -
Then that may be good enough except
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 5, 2010 5:54 AM PST
In reply to: LOL

If you used something like SKYPE and later connected without the proxy.

All your work is undone.

Seems you need to re-think all this? Or never use your home connection or personal machine or any account you use at the library at home!

Collapse -
by Spontaneous_D / December 5, 2010 5:56 AM PST

LOL OK! Thanks

Collapse -
use IP freak...
by henryeguilos55 / December 6, 2010 1:07 PM PST
In reply to: Cool!

i recommend try using this app.

Collapse -
Long story short
by Jimmy Greystone / December 6, 2010 9:47 PM PST

Long story short, this cannot be done. Period. Doesn't matter what kind of crazy scheme you try and come up with, it won't work. If data makes its way to you, then there will always be a trail leading back to you.

The only way to hide your IP address from a site/person is to never connect to that site/person's computer. There are various ways you can make it more difficult to track you down, but it's a double edged sword. It also tends to make it more difficult for you to browse the site.

A simple example is the NoScript extension for Firefox. Adds a nice layer of security onto the browser by preventing ANY scripts embedded into a website from executing by default. You can then go and choose to enable specific domains if you wish. This provides an added layer of protection against malicious scripts, BUT it also makes for more work because a lot of sites will be completely broken and unusable without some of those scripts. So you have to do a little experimenting to figure out which scripts are necessary for the site to work, and which aren't.

You'll have to decide what balance of security and convenience works for you, but always remember that they are mutually exclusive goals.

Collapse -
No such thing as hiding IP? That's misinformation...
by stick joe / December 7, 2010 9:35 AM PST

Anonymous surfing exists.

TOR is an example. It's a free program that was developed by the Naval Research Lab. It's available here :

It hides your IP well if you set it up right.

I've used TOR myself, many times. I even ran tests where I posted in a forum that shows the location you're posting from to see if it hid my actual IP - it does. In fact, the forum I tested it on is here (in case you wish to test TOR or another program or method yourself)(I've found this forum good for testing also because you don't need to register to post there) :

Just to be accurate, TOR and programs like it 'hide the IP' by routing your internet connection through an IP that's not yours (they are public) - this is why another location will show up on the Topix forum I just mentioned where I tested it.

Besides TOR there are websites that allow 'anonymous surfing' too. They're called proxy servers. Some of these however have one issue which is that you can't read the captchas in order to post some where.

Another option is to get IP addresses yourself and input one into the browser options of the browser you're using. To do this you'd need to Google 'proxies and port numbers' or something to that effect. The reason for adding on 'port numbers' to the search is because every IP address will need a corresponding port number with it or it can't access the internet. When choosing this method, it's best to look through the lists on sites and find the ones that have the best connection speed - otherwise you'll be loading pages slowly. The connection speed will be listed on most of these sites - it'll show up as numbers and sometimes under the column titled "latency". For example, here's one I just Googled : 80 Anonymous false China 2062 99.32 80 Transparent true United States 462 99.32

If you go to this particular proxy list site I just gave as an example, you'll find proxies listed that way (as I pasted above, give or take). Here's the explanation of how it's listed : in the above example is the IP and next to it is the number 80 - 80 is it's port number. Next to that is the type of IP it is - in this case it's an "Anonymous" IP. I don't know what the "false" part means. "China" means websites will think you're surfing from China - in other words, the IP shows up as China (this in effect keeps your actual IP hidden since no one will know it). 2062 is the loading speed of the IP (how fast it loads pages) - it's listed in milliseconds(ms for short). The last number 99.32 is it's reliability, referring to how reliably the IP stays connected when in use. As you can see the IP from the United States has different numbers - particularly the 462. 462 is lower than China's 2062 and this means it'll load pages faster.

Now, if you choose to configure your browser to surf with a proxy, you can find how-to's on the internet for the particular browser you have in mind.

I've used all the methods above to surf with, post with, etc. From experience I can say : it works.

Collapse -
by Jimmy Greystone / December 7, 2010 9:51 AM PST

BUT, and I suspect if you dig a little deeper, you'll find that the developers of Tor will admit this... It's not going to stop someone from being able to track you down if they're determined.

You try and use Tor to send a death threat to some political leader, for example, they WILL find you. It may take them a little longer, but they WILL do it.

If there is two way communication between your system and another, no matter how obfusicated you may try and make it, there is still a digital trail leading right back to you. Tor is good for the tinfoil hat brigade who don't really understand computer networking, but it's really just a roadblock requiring a lengthy detour at best, not an outright impediment.

Collapse -
Using a wifi hotspot solves that.
by stick joe / December 7, 2010 6:11 PM PST
In reply to: BUT

Using a wifi hotspot that's free (I've actually heard of paid ones) would solve that I think you'd agree.

Collapse -
Not really
by Jimmy Greystone / December 7, 2010 9:49 PM PST

Not really. Mark pointed out just a few problems with that method below. So unless you drive around with a wifi detector and camp out in your car outside someone's house with unsecured wifi (which is illegal in the US), there's bound to be security cameras wherever there's a public hotspot. Would take a little additional detective work to put a name to a face at a given time, but it could be done. Assuming you don't have some access code like coffee shops and what not tend to give.

The only way to really avoid this is to go all Unibomber (just minus the crazy ideas and bombs) and keep off the grid as much as you possibly can. Which, these days, can do more to attract attention to you than keep you under the radar.

Collapse -
Congrats !
by stick joe / December 8, 2010 3:04 AM PST
In reply to: Not really

You make a good point and a factual one.

Also, as a side note on literacy, congrats for spelling Unibomber correctly. You're one of the few who have. The news media at the time misspelled it as "Unabomber". Funnier yet is which ever media outlet it was who was the first to misspell it was bad enough, but what was funnier was when they all copied it... haha.

Collapse -
Tor didn't work.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 7, 2010 10:08 AM PST

There is still a link from you to the Tor.

You're still exposed.

Collapse -
P.S. You can also do this
by stick joe / December 7, 2010 9:48 AM PST

You can also do this in addition to what I mentioned. Use an internet cafe/wifi hotspot.

They are free, anonymous. So that means there's no IP connected to you for any proxy server or whatever to log. Hackers do that quite often and get away with it - it's other things that get one caught when one IS caught anyway.

Btw, TOR doesn't log the IP you're using. Neither do proxies off of proxy lists which you put into the browser itself.

Collapse -
by Spontaneous_D / December 7, 2010 12:54 PM PST

Thanks for answering stick joe and everyone who assisted. I want to make clear that I am not trying to do anything illegal, however, I was surfing the website and came across a site about anonymous IP addresses and all. I read about it and wanted to know how true that was, nothing more nothing less. I am not all that computer savvy and anyone who knows me can verify this lol. I thank everyone though.

Collapse -
WiFi hotspot
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / December 7, 2010 7:57 PM PST
In reply to: Thanks!

A WiFi hotspot will certainly hide the IP you get from your ISP, but even there traces may be left. The hotspot, (internet cafe, local hotspot, whatever), will still have transactions showing your access and with a little work such can be traced back to specific machines.

WiFi hotspots have their own security problems, in general because the wifi is not secured. And of course, travelling about looking for hotspots is not the easy, comfortable, way we use the internet anyway.

It's an interesting topic and well worth discussing, but always at the root of the problem is this, "Someone, somewhere, needs your location to be able to send and receive information to/from your computer".

Collapse -
Interesting topic it is
by stick joe / December 8, 2010 2:56 AM PST
In reply to: WiFi hotspot

Perhaps it was misworded on your part but a wifi hotspot doesn't actually "hide your IP you get from your ISP" since you're using someone elses ISP your own isn't even involved and therefore isn't in the picture at all.

"...but even there traces may be left. The hotspot, (internet cafe, local hotspot, whatever), will still have transactions showing your access and with a little work such can be traced back to specific machines." Not that the person who started this thread was interested in doing something illegal, but for those people who do such things someone can, for example, make a bomb threat to the White House and a direct threat to the President using a free wifi connection somewhere and not get caught. At most the wifi place 'may' have a video camera installed and manage to capture him/her on cam - at best they'd end up with the person's description, unless the perpetrator can be followed home immediately after the threat is made the person would never get caught - never, unless the person went back to the same place and used the wifi again and a sting had been set up ahead of time.

As far as traces being left on the perpetrators machine in the above example, computer forensics would find any, if there's any to be found assuming he/she didn't take care of that in the meantime or beforehand, after-the-fact if the person had actually went to the same wifi spot and got caught in the sting that was set up. Of course, he/she would've already been caught by then and anything found with forensics would just be used to help seal the case.

Of course, what I just said in the paragraph above brings computer forensics into the topic (not surprisingly) and that's a whole other ball game - since it is, I'll not go thoroughly into that topic lest this thread not end any time soon... haha.

Interesting it is though. Very interesting.

Collapse -
i use a proxy service
by p.marcheau / January 6, 2011 5:07 PM PST

For each person the perfect application differ becasue there are many factors to influence like: location, Internet connection, proxies used etc.
I prefer IP Privacy for example:

Note: This post was edited by forum moderator to disable auto-link to a potentially dangerous website on 01/07/2011 on 5:32 AM PT

Collapse -
Ouch! WARNING Will Robinson!!
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / January 6, 2011 9:26 PM PST
In reply to: i use a proxy service

That web site you gave, I got a BIG RED warning when I visited it and details here;

Good luck with your continuing association with them.

I have asked the Forum Admin to disable your link. We couldn't put our members at risk like that.

Collapse -
That's false positives for ya......
by stick joe / January 7, 2011 1:14 AM PST
In reply to: i use a proxy service

I just went there and I didn't notice anything odd.

Me thinks people have been getting false positives.

I've seen this issue so many times on the internet. I wished someone could solve that problem.

Nonetheless, I thought I'd throw this out there.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.