Windows Vista forum

General discussion

Which printer really works in Vista?

by shaner7575 / October 18, 2007 3:58 AM PDT

I've already read the thread on vista compatible printers, which has prompted me to start a newer thread.
I have a new compaq presario 5123wm with vista home premium already installed; 2gigs of ram; dual core amd 4000 processor; plenty of storage space. I purchased the lexmark x1270 since it stated plainly on the box "Vista compatible"; but clearly it's not! I have been through all the steps in reinstalling with new driver; uninstalling, reinstalling, tech chat sessions, but the bottom line is; it cannot possibly be Vista compatible, or is it the Vista system itself?
I have given up on the printer. I even installed my older lexmark x6170 with the appropriate vista driver, and it acted the very same way this printer did. On my son's xp; no problems whatsoever.
My main concern and question is:
Is there a printer; all in one printer out there that really works well with Vista? I don't know what to buy since you can't depend on the "Vista" logo on the box.
It's funny that the same printers work flawlessly on an xp system, but coughs and chokes with Vista.
Vista's suppose to have all these bells and whistles but if you can't even print normally what's Vista good for? I've ended up turning off all the extra features Vista offers to make sure they weren't interfering with printer.

Sorry for venting, but I've tried to get this printer to work for the past 3 months. I just want a printer with a scanner that I can rely on.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Judy

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Which printer really works in Vista?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Which printer really works in Vista?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Just sharing.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 18, 2007 6:14 AM PDT

I have a HP k550 that is fine. But I did something on my laptop before I got to the driver install steps. I disabled UAC.

I wonder if this is why I have so little trouble.

Bob

Collapse -
Thanks Bob for your input
by shaner7575 / October 18, 2007 6:38 AM PDT
In reply to: Just sharing.

What is UAC? I did talk to HP techs, and they said all of their office jets, and photo smart c series would work with vista. I have always had Lexmarks, since my old 98SE system and was very disappointed to say the least, with the x2170. It took forever to print, like there was some sort of delay. Tried everything, but after reading about all the problems with that printer, I have decided to move on.

Collapse -
Googled UAC
by shaner7575 / October 18, 2007 6:46 AM PDT
In reply to: Just sharing.

Sorry, I should have googled before asking, and I did not have my user account disabled. I guess I could try that with a reinstall, to see if it changes anything.
I've tried everything else.

Thanks again Bob

Judy

Collapse -
UAC = User Account Control.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 18, 2007 8:35 AM PDT
In reply to: Googled UAC
Collapse -
Thanks for the link
by shaner7575 / October 18, 2007 11:12 AM PDT

Whoa; guess it is a difference, and I thank you for pointing me there.

I don't think I want to go that far and disable it since I'm not computer savy and a chicken to mess with stuff like that. Seems like if you want to install something you should be able to without all that disabling stuff.

Thank you again for the link and the clarification. Wish I was as smart as you on computers, and really wish you would have been the designer of Vista. I'm sure it would run much smoother than it does now!!

Collapse -
I've a
by Dango517 / October 18, 2007 12:53 PM PDT

HP 4180 all-in-one that works fine. I was having a driver problem with it the first few months after the Vista release but all is A-OK now.

Collapse -
that's
by Dango517 / October 18, 2007 12:53 PM PDT
In reply to: I've a

C4180

Collapse -
HP C6180...
by bklynrickel / October 18, 2007 9:35 PM PDT
In reply to: that's

works fine with vista.

Collapse -
Thanks everyone,
by shaner7575 / October 19, 2007 9:54 AM PDT
In reply to: HP C6180...

I will probably be shopping soon for a HP, since it does seem to be compatible. Luckily, I've always had great support when it comes to questions on my Compaq, from HP, so I think if I do run into any problems they will be there to help.

If not, I always have this forum to come to!!

Thanks again everyone!

Judy

Collapse -
HP 5610 all-in-one works great with Vista!
by cls220 / October 19, 2007 12:00 PM PDT
In reply to: Thanks everyone,

Inexpensive printer (I paid $109 while it was on sale at Office Max) and it worked flawlessly as soon as I connected it. Drivers were already in Vista, it's USB, and was detected immediately. Drivers were installed and I've never had a moment's problem with it.

Also has GREAT picture printing quality!

Collapse -
That's exactly what I'm looking for
by shaner7575 / October 19, 2007 2:04 PM PDT

Thanks for your input and I will definetly search for this one. All I want is an all-in-one which will install flawlessly and do what it's suppose to do without searching for drivers that end up not working.
This is also in my price range!

Thanks again for sharing.
I will let everyone know what I end up getting!

Collapse -
HP C6180 All in One with VISTA
by Jersey Gal / April 13, 2008 6:00 AM PDT
In reply to: HP C6180...

I have an HP C6180 All in One and have LOVED this printer on my HP with XP OS and also on MAC. and a New Sony Vaio with the Vist OS installed.

My wireless network had tremendous problems but once I found all the right drivers (the CD that came with printer was rejected for VISTA) and downloaded them (forever to download!) it worked to print...slow as molasses but it eventually printed

SCANNING - another story. I learned from the HP site that the scan button on the printer does not work correctly when the printer is connected to a windows Vista computer. They said the drivers in the Windows Vista operatihng system do not support button press functionality on the printer and they gave solutions (work arounds).
BTW going from the solutions center for the printer does not work either.
WHAT does work....
I have to use a USB instead of the wireless scenario I use for printing. Once I have the USB I can scanning with PAINT and SCAN from Scanner.

How is it we tyros spend more money on products expecting ease of use and we end up with a month of Sunday's to get them to work.

If I am missing an obviously facile process that I haven't figured out or located on sites please please please share!!

Collapse -
Lexmark finally replaced my printer
by shaner7575 / April 13, 2008 10:07 AM PDT

in February with a compatible printer; x2500. Took 7 months to finally convince them that the x1270 was not compatible with my vista. I downloaded the supposedly vista compatible drivers from their website; had Lexmark remotely take over my computer to see what was going on; they even sent me out a driver cd/ with the same p/n the printer came with. They tried saying I didn't have enough ram, eventhough I had 2 gigs, with hardly no programs installed. I almost gave up and went out and bought one, but that is what I had done in good faith since the Lexmark plainly stated "Vista compatible." After 7 months of phone records they finally sent out one which does work. I have always been a Lexmark fan, but I will think more than twice when I have to replace this one.
Hope you find the help you need, but in my case the so-called vista compatible drivers never worked. Non-stop complaints to the manufacturer finally did.
Good Luck!
Judy

Collapse -
Same problem with scanner
by mjhand55 / October 12, 2009 3:27 AM PDT

It's a conspiracy I've decided. HP just wants you to spend more money when they come out with new products. I bought a new HP pavillion A6720Y model with Windows Vista Home Premium (had a gateway) and found out the same thing. I do not want to go buy a new printer. I tried the work arounds and that didn't work. My husband called HP and the guy got on the computer and screwed up the printer somehow. Now I get some message at the bottom of the printer window that says I can insert a photo card in the slots or something. Annoying. HP is supposed to have a person that specifically works with each type of printer because I talked to one before. I should have stayed with Windows XP.

mjhand55

Collapse -
I use Lexmark with Vista
by dhberry / October 23, 2007 8:57 AM PDT

I love my old Lexmark X1185 and I (reluctantly) have a laptop using the Vista OS. I had problems with it at first even after downloading the new driver. It now works perfectly, although Vista continues to tag it as 'new hardware' and requests permission to install a driver when I boot up. I'm no techie, but from what I can tell my earlier problems seemed to come from answering "yes" to that prompt. For two days, I got the message that my printer wasn't installed every time I tried to print. When I checked my printers in the control panel, I saw that I had 5 copies of the Lexmark right there. I uninstalled all copies, re-downloaded and re-installed the Vista compatible driver from the Lexmark site and now just ignore (click close) the stupid prompts from Vista when I boot.

So my Lexmark prints, scans, works just like it used to except for one thing: My printer won't recognize a new color cartridge - ever. I can live with the constant "Color Cartridge is Low" prompts in exchange for using my favorite Lexmark.

I don't know if this was the problem you were having, but I hope it helps.

Collapse -
I also had that very exact problem
by shaner7575 / October 23, 2007 10:39 PM PDT

I learned to ignore the prompt to install, and also deleted all my copies. My major problem is how SLOW the printer is. Also the scan copies are off color by a long shot.
I even tried my old x6170, which has a vista driver available to see if it would work as well as it does on my son's xp. It acted exactly the same way, with the appropriate vista driver; SLOW printing.
It acts like there is some sort of delay. Even after the printing is complete, a box pops up saying a document was sent to the printer: Hello, it's already been printed. Then it takes another minute for the printer icon to leave the task bar. It took almost 5 minutes to just complete a "test" page.
I have always preferred Lexmark, but for some reason, even with the vista drivers, they are not working correctly on my vista. The x6170 zooms on the xp. I have discussed this with microsoft; hp; as well as Lexmark, and have searched effortlessly for a solution.
That's why I'm skeptical in purchasing another printer for fear it has to do with Vista. I may just wait until vista gets that service patch and see if it helps in that matter.
It's really frustrating to say the least.

If I do decide to buy a different one, I think I'll go into a store and make sure a printer works installed on a vista computer.

Thanks for your post! At least I know someone else has also experienced the same problems I have. It all boils down to "Vista".

Collapse -
Which printer really works in Vista?
by lanann / October 23, 2007 8:39 PM PDT

I have a Brother MFC420CN all-in-one. Have had absolutely NO problems whatsoever with it and Vista.

Collapse -
(NT) Thanks for your input!
by shaner7575 / October 23, 2007 10:48 PM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.