Cameras forum

General discussion

Which point and shoot to buy...Canon SX50 or Panasonic FZ150

by Harvrad2003 / January 16, 2013 2:01 AM PST

Hello, I would like to know opinions of individuals who have used either or both the Canon SX50 or Panasonic FZ150 to help me decide on which camera would be the best over all quality camera.
Since our daughters will soon be 10 and 13 and I haven't taken any good video's or decent pictures of them in the last year or so I'm longing to get a good point and shoot to catch them while I can. I have loved the reviews that I've read on the Panasonic FZ150, it seems to have everything great quality video, and good to excellent quality photo's...however I've also read where the Canon SX50 is rated possibly a little higher. I'm not so worried about the 600mm vs the 1200mm, I think either would be great for what I'll be doing.
I want a point and shoot where I can eventually buy close up lens, attachments such as external microphones to when I feel the need to. I'm looking for a camera that I can take good to excellent macro photo's with, good to excellent low light video and photo's with and to use for camping, hiking, site seeing, nature and landscape photography. The 1200mm zoom would be and extra bonus if I choose the Canon.
I at present time work at Walmart so getting a 10% discount on the Canon may come in handy, however like stated I want the best quality camera that can be bought...and yes I understand it will not be the same quality as a DSLR, however I do believe that for most people unless they are top notch photographers that these cameras will take what we need. I'm not much into raw, haven't any experience and was even told that it's not that big of a deal in a point and shoot, however I would love to learn. I would consider the Panasonic FZ200 however this camera does cost even more than I am willing to spend at present time. I like the that both cameras are about the same price, and some ways I don't....it makes it harder.
If any advise or personal experience in either or both cameras please let me know, thanks.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Which point and shoot to buy...Canon SX50 or Panasonic FZ150
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Which point and shoot to buy...Canon SX50 or Panasonic FZ150
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Kids

Every parent want to buy a camera to photograph their children, and every parent wanst to photograph their kids doing stuff indoors. Another thing is every parent wants is to shoot in low light without using flash. Those requirements are what lead most parents into buying a DSLR. The next best thing to a DSLR is the more expensive FZ200, primarily because of its constant f/2.8 lens. It's the wider aperture lens which allows that camera to better capture indoor shots at any focal length without having to quickly ramp up the ISO, as would be necessary with the FZ150 of SX50. So if you can squeeze out the extra funds, the FZ200 is the way to go. If not, the FZ200 and SX50 are so close, you'd probably be wise to use your employee discount and get the Canon.

BTW, you do not need extra lens attachments to take macro photos with any of these cameras.

Collapse -
Clarification
by PistonCupChampion / January 16, 2013 5:09 AM PST
In reply to: Kids

"The next best thing to a DSLR is the more expensive FZ200, primarily because of its constant f/2.8 lens. It's the wider aperture lens which allows that camera to better capture indoor shots at any focal length without having to quickly ramp up the ISO..."

The other thing is you might still need to use a very high ISO, but a wider aperture lens allows the use of a faster shutter speed, which means fewer blurry shots.

Collapse -
Entry Level DSLR
by Harvrad2003 / January 17, 2013 12:42 PM PST
In reply to: Clarification

I am really thinking on going with the DZ200 however the Nikon D3100 + 18-55mm lens kit is going for 479.00 at Best Buy...would this be an over all better route to take? However I like having the 600mm lens with 2.8 on the FZ200 and I've heard that the photo quality even though the D3100 has a larger sensor is not a great big difference unless I'm sure you blow up to poster size. What do you all think?

Collapse -
DSLR
by PistonCupChampion / January 17, 2013 1:45 PM PST
In reply to: Entry Level DSLR

I'd go with the D5100 over the D3100. Much better sensor with more dynamic range and better high ISO performance, articulated LCD with higher resolution, in-camera HDR, etc.

Cameta.com has the D5100 factory refurbished with the 18-55mm kit lens for $440. My experience with factory refurbs has always been positive. You get a virtually new camera (I've never received one that looked used), and it still comes with a one year warranty.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.