Android

General discussion

Which phone

by birdmantd Forum moderator / February 22, 2011 4:32 AM PST

Just to get this new thread started: Which Android phone are you using currently? Which carrier? Why did you choose your current handset?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Which phone
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Which phone
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Samsung Galaxy S
by rogg / February 25, 2011 11:33 AM PST
In reply to: Which phone

> I'm using a Samsung Galaxy S.
> My carrier is T-Mobile.
> I chose this smartphone when it first came out to replace my T-Mobile G1 which was an Android 1.6 with no OS upgrade path.
> I chose T-Mobile a long time ago (pre-smartphone days) because AT&T where I live is terrible both dropped calls and no connection.

I recently upgraded from Android 2.1 to 2.2 Froyo. It's better in most ways, but it has its issues. 1) No Android keyboard (boo!); 2) Screen timeout max is 10 minutes. I used 30 min when it was running 2.1, and someone decided they needed to protect me from myself so my battery life would be extended. I need 30 min for long continuous use in bright sunlight without readability timing out and I KNOW I'll have a battery hit. So what? Should be my choice. 3) Calendar and email alarms don't work.

Collapse -
LG Optimus T
by doctorcrack / February 25, 2011 12:52 PM PST
In reply to: Samsung Galaxy S

I have LG Optimus T (Titanium color) which I bought 2 weeks back. Carrier is T mobile. I bought this because it's one of the cheapest smartphones I could get ($25 with two year contract). I personally despite windows because the nature of my work gets me lots of viruses and malware, and I know windows and malware don't really go well together Wink Also, I was able to buy this smartphone without any data plan (I got it done with the help of a cellphone dealer shop in my locality) which people say is impossible. This also allows me to save money because I don't really need any data plan - I have wifi at my home and at workplace, there is no third place that I go to!

So far, I'm enjoying it.

Only one drawback I have noticed so far: This handset is on the weaker side regarding processing power, and I haven't been able to install flash on it (probably T-mobile doesn't want this phone to have Flash due to the same reason).

Collapse -
Samsung Galaxy S Captivate
by roddy32 / February 25, 2011 1:40 PM PST

ATT as a carrier. I had them for a carrier on my previous cell phone and also for many years on my home phone. Easier to deal with just one company IMO. I chose this phone because both the store and friends have it and recommended it.

Collapse -
HTC MyTouch 4G on T-Mobile
by macmcf / February 25, 2011 2:23 PM PST

I just got this phone two days ago. My first choice was T-Mobile, motivated by low rates for a low-usage plan: $40/mo for a 500-min. talk plan + $10/mo for a 200MB data plan. The latter is a new and, they say, "limited time only" deal.
I'm one of those old retired guys who has been lugging around his PDA because he's too cheap to pay $360/year for a $30/mo data plan he really doesn't need. Web access anywhere is nice on the rare occasion, but I mainly need a phone that can sync with my computer and/or Google Apps from home. My telephone usage is modest, and I don't intend to start watching TV on my phone. Why should I pay for a $30/mo data plan?
After I chose T-Mobile, the next question was whether I needed a keyboard, & I decided that I did not. I certainly wanted an Android phone to access my Google account and Apps, and this phone was the newest & best of their three current offerings, given that I valued a large display and latest apps over small size.

Collapse -
Plural here.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 25, 2011 2:35 PM PST

As we started to port our apps the office set me up with the HTC Evo 4G from Sprint. Very nice but I wish the edge you hold to your ear wasn't so sharp.

My son had a Tracfone since we wanted to see how he treated it. His new phone is:
That Virgin Mobile Samsung Intercept. We use their 25 buck a month plan. The only down side I see is Android 2.1. Let's hope for 2.2.
Bob

Collapse -
Legend
by Lybeck / February 26, 2011 5:41 AM PST

Im using The HTC Legend because its design is IMO the best looking and that aluminum one piece body makes it feel so good.
Sadly its getting a little old now, but i cant find a replacement with as good a screen, small size and a decent processor and ofcourse android 2,3

Collapse -
Sony Ericsson Xperia 10
by ghosty191 / February 27, 2011 2:52 AM PST

I like the phone, and can do quite a lot with it, but I can't open some formats of video because I can't install the Flash Player from Adobe. It says my 1.6 version OS will not allow it, and I have to upgrade to 2.2 version. So far I have found nowhere I can upgrade the OS. Does anyone have any suggestions? The phone was free with 2-year activation with AT&T so I can't get another one.

Collapse -
Sony Ericsson Xperia 10
by nhenshall / March 11, 2011 4:47 PM PST

Sony Ericsson are a bit slow on the Android update! Android 2.1 is available for X10, you need to connect your phone to your computer and go for the update that way. I'm not sure that 2.1 is really worth the effort. I updated mine, but I think 1.6 was more like Sony Ericsson and less like Android. Apparently Sony Ericsson have abandoned plans for Android 2.2, and going for Android 2.3 instead.

Collapse -
My Android
by orlbuckeye / February 28, 2011 12:32 AM PST

Well I had the Iphone and wasn't happy with it and was looking at the EVO then I heard the signal isn't great on Sprint in rural areas. So then the HTC Inspire came to AT&T for half the price of the Evo and is basically the same phone excpet no front camera and no HDMI interface.

Collapse -
Re: Which Phone
by budoinbatu / February 28, 2011 1:26 AM PST

> R2D2 Droid 2
> Verizon Wireless
> I chose the R2D2 Droid 2 because I am a sucker for gimmicks! Just kidding, a little.

But in all seriousness, I wanted to switch back to Verizon wireless, after having been through AT&T and Sprint the past few years. They have great, consistent coverage and reception, and their customer service is stupendous, should you ever need to call them.

I previously had a Blackberry Bold 9700, with AT&T, and it was a delightful device. Definitely worth the money, and with AT&T, it performed wonderfully, if you stayed within a metropolitan area. But I had been chomping at the bit to get my hands on an Android device, and switch to back to Verizon, so my device would still perform while I was on the road.

So, after much research and consideration, I was down to 2 options, the Droid 2 and the Droid X. The Droid X has the larger screen, and the 8mp camera, and the TI-OMAP 3630. Which, at first glance would win any fair-minded man's heart. But, I had my concerns with only an on-screen keyboard, the size of the sonofab*tch in my pocket, as well as the over-all efficiency of the device. After going up to the store and putting my hands on both of them, I could immediately tell that the Droid X was going to be cumbersome and my small fingers would have trouble navigating across the landscape keyboard. I'm not that much of a social butterfly, so an 8mp camera with 720p recording wasn't going to sway me towards the DX, I've captured great pictures with macro settings on 5mp cameras just fine. They both can be rooted and overclocked, have the memory card expanded, and perform on the same level overall. So it came down to, the 8mp camera vs smaller, more comfortable size.

Size won, for me. I figured I would be cursing a huge phone every time I picked it up, tried to type on it, fit it in my pocket, and lug it around. And just in time for the release of the R2D2 Droid 2.

I've never been happier, I have a physical keyboard when I want, leaving the screen free for viewing. I've got it rooted and overclocked ever-so-slightly to 1.1Mhz, and most importantly, the ladies love R2D2!

Collapse -
Carriers
by Matt__W / March 2, 2011 7:01 AM PST

Can I just say At&t is good. They have good coverage where I live, and a great selection of phones.I personally think they fail with smartphones, though. They have max 4gb of data plans (and even that is $45 a month!)And they don't let you download 3rd party apps (apps From the internet, no Swype keyboard)Hopefully They will fix that
T-mobile is good if you want speed. Even though no carrier technically has 4g they certainly have fast HSPA+ 3g. And the only good smartphones they have are the mytouch 4g, HTC hd7, Samsung Galaxy S 4g, and the t-mobile g2
Sprint has a very developed "4g" network. Most people say the HTC evo 4g is their best phone, but I think it is the Samsung Epic 4g. It has a better, not bigger screen (not washed out, more colors)And A sliding keyboard plus Samsung Media Hub with Android 2.2 Update.
Verizon-supposedly the best coverage. Let me just say that if you don't buy a droid or the iphone from them, then they don't have any other good phones really.Their Galaxy S phones are fine, but every carrier has on of those.
U.S. Cellular is fine, too. I know someone who has them And it takes 2 minutes to send a text through their network. If you are roaming on them, you get verizon's network. THeir 2 good phones are the HTC Desire, and Samsung Mesmerize. Hopefully they will get the Desire S. The Belif project is a draw, but since their phones aren't anything amazing, and neither is their network, I'll pass.

Collapse -
phone
by kbennett65 / March 5, 2011 4:19 PM PST

I just got the HTC Evo Shift earlier this week [Sprint] and so far I love it! I have small hands and didn't like the feel of the Evo and Samsung Galaxy as a phone,they are just too big for my taste.

Collapse -
Garmin/Asus Garminfone
by Freddy_Knuckles / March 11, 2011 11:31 AM PST

This is my first smartphone so Im no expert but I cbose it because we go to the mountains and go exploring all over the place a lot and needed a gps. Unlike other phones that have gps, the gps on this phone still works even when I have no cell phone service. Basically its a gps with a cell phone attached.

So far, I love it. But one thing I HATE is the battery life. Unplug it and you can almost watch the battery start to drain. I also dont like that I cant listen with headphones while charging the battery. Other than that, its a pretty good phone....so far.

Also, if you buy this phone be sure to remove the protective film that comes with it. At some point it will start to peel off and tthat will cazue yor phone to black durinf phone calls. It has to do the proximity sensors at the top of the phone. I called tmobile and the lady on the phone had no clue and tried to get me to reformat my harddrive and OS. Luckily I saw a post feom someone who had the same problem ad told e eryone how tp fix ot. After I told the lady at tmobile she still tried to get me o reformat. I told her no and peeled off the film. It worked. She had no idea about the easier fix. Like I said, clueless.

Collapse -
Motorola Droid 2.2.1 - Verizon
by Clemence / March 12, 2011 11:43 AM PST

I have had this phone for almost a year now. For the most part I really like it. I set it in the cradle at night and can use it as an alarm clock. (we have quite a few power outages in the winter here) I have had Verizon for over 10 years now and it has been hit and miss for me. We do not get good cell service of any kind here. I tried a few other carriers out here and all tried to charge me roaming charges after I pulled out of my driveway.

The main fault is you have to turn it off once in a while or it will lock up. I have called and gone into the store several times and they always just tell me to turn it off and on again. Most of the time it works, so I am ok with that.

I do think the monthly costs are high, but I use a lot of texts, picture texts, and when I am away from home I get lots of calls. We are on the two phone plan. Most of the family is on verizon also, so those calls are free.

Collapse -
Dual OS smart cell phone without contract
by owenowner / March 14, 2011 5:34 PM PDT

I have an Chinese cell phone with Windows Mobile 6.5 OS and Android 2.1 OS.very nice,but I want upgrade the Android 2.1 to Android 2.2 anyone know how to do this ? Wink

Collapse -
Chinese cell phone
by Andorhal007 / March 16, 2011 4:18 PM PDT

I don't know how to update the OS. You can ask the seller.
By the way, China seller has sold cell phone with Android 2.2 OS for nearly a month

Collapse -
Samsung Galaxy S
by sleepersofa / March 22, 2011 2:58 PM PDT

Samsung Galaxy S.
My carrier is ATT.
The reason I prefer this smartphone because of the hype and specification.

Collapse -
HTC EVO 3D
by alexsmth114 / March 22, 2011 9:43 PM PDT
In reply to: Samsung Galaxy S

Go for it!!..

Collapse -
Samsung Fascinate
by cellstoreonline / March 24, 2011 11:20 PM PDT

Samsung Fascinate, Verizon Wireless. I chose it because I was very impressed with the looks...AWESOME phone and I'm glad I bought it!

KC

Note: This post was edited by forum moderator to edit out tagline/signature promo link which are prohibited in these forums. on 03/25/2011 on 8:18 AM PT

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.