PC Applications forum

General discussion

Which PARTITION software is the best

by pacifist / October 6, 2006 2:52 PM PDT

Looking for any opinions on what ever partitioning software is the easiest and best to use.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Which PARTITION software is the best
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Which PARTITION software is the best
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Browse this link with 84 responses
by Dick Humfrey / October 6, 2006 4:14 PM PDT
Collapse -
by pacifist / October 6, 2006 4:41 PM PDT

... most of the forum is whether to partition or not and I am more interested in the tools available

Collapse -
I use what comes with the OS.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 7, 2006 12:15 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks...but

Having helped too many recover from 3rd party tools I find the stock tools to be able to partition just dandy.

Such tools are in MacOSX, Linux, Windows, DOS and others.

My answer? Stock.

Collapse -
That is the kind of answer I wanted to hear
by pacifist / October 7, 2006 8:03 AM PDT

Collapse -
Disk Partitioning Utilities
by CamFromSD / November 9, 2007 4:57 PM PST

While some stock disk utility tools may help you expand an unoccupied partition, there is little you can do once the entire partition has been allocated. Tools like Partition Magic can take that allocated space, size down the unallocated portion, and let you create a new partition. I am wondering if there are any other tools or utilities that allow this; or does Partition Magic own the market?

Collapse -
Just to add a late reply.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 3, 2010 12:02 AM PDT

I wince at Partition Magic as I have had too many not backup prior to trying that feature. If you didn't backup, that was your choice.

"We only lose what we don't backup."

With that out of the way, I will share once in awhile I'll use GPARTED.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) One question, one answer. Use Partition Magic.
by eonet / October 15, 2006 12:14 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks...but
Collapse -
by GBTrevor / October 19, 2006 9:26 PM PDT

...something goers wrong. I have dealt with many HD failures where these (virtual) partitions created by these tools are hard to track and recover data from.
My advice is to back up and reformat the drive into two Physical partitions.

Collapse -
Don't waste your money
by hitbit / October 11, 2006 5:16 AM PDT

Use the Operating System's facility. It will do all you need.

Collapse -
Sure, but only if...
by wuz2blu / October 13, 2006 8:19 AM PDT
In reply to: Don't waste your money

Only if you're starting with a clean install of the O.S. On the other hand, if you're like most people, you want to partition with data (programs, personal photos, etc.) already on the harddrive. That's when you need a "third-party" solution.

Collapse -
WAY too optimistic...
by sdaytech / October 13, 2006 8:21 AM PDT
In reply to: Don't waste your money

Most people would have NO CLUE what you mean by "Use the Operating System's facility". When you use a program like Partition Magic, there is less margin for error. Unless a person is very familiar with how their system works or gets very detailed directions from a trusted source, purchasing a program like PM gives an inexpirianced user a little added security.

Collapse -
Disk Director
by Noizxland / October 11, 2006 11:21 PM PDT

this is Disk manager programm, able to resize/merge/split partitions.
Besides, it has recovery feature that will recover ur accident deleted data.
it's very easy in use
and rather cheap ~ 45$.
so my vote goes to Acronis Disk Director
here is link

Collapse -
Partition Magic can help you
by pnin / October 13, 2006 2:11 AM PDT

I am a Network Admin at an SMB. I often need to reimage laptops and PCs, and rarely do I need do any other (re)partitioning than what was mentioned in the first answer (the built-in partitioning utility when reloading Windows from the OSR disc). However, there are occasions when I need to add additional partitions or resize partitions after the OS has been loaded. I find that Symantec's Partition Magic is the easiest tool for me. It allows you to resize and create partitions, as well as check the stability of all partitions on a HDD. You get an easy-to-read graph of current usage, and you can see if there are any bad sectors on the drive.

Is it worth $69.95? That depends on how much use you will get out of it. Since I never know when I might need it and I deal with hundreds of computers, the price is well worth it. This may be more than you are willing to spend. However, with PM you will receive support and help from the manufacturer if you need it. There are other free and low cost alternatives out there. If you type 'partitioning freeware' into a search engine, you will get plenty of results. Just remember, many times you get what you pay for! Good luck...

Collapse -
Only if...
by gsaracen-20360109920653410192162543574860 / October 13, 2006 8:40 PM PDT

I had all the Norton stuff including SystemWorks, PartitionMagic and Ghost. I finally got tired of the many bugs and useless tech support and removed all of Norton. I freed up over 70 MG of ram and lost about 15 processes.
I vote for Disk Director. Easy to use and does not hog a lot of resources like Norton.

Collapse -
There is no reason to pay for this
by an.echte.trilingue / December 13, 2006 7:42 PM PST

just download knoppix and use QTParted. Sorry, but there is no reason whatsoever to pay money for this functionality.

Collapse -
Linux on one side Windows XP on the other
by tux_stein / May 19, 2008 6:23 AM PDT

This may seem like a silly question, but being a bit of nubie with Linux and combining Windows and Linux together on one drive or two drives within one machine does the partion software have to support both OS in one or more fashion? The reason I ask, I had partioned my drive XP and Ubuntu 8.04; Ubuntu corrupted XP; I'm sending this on a new install of XP. AS of late I have obtained a new drive and installing in same machine, i.e. two OS drives one machine. Before investing in partion software other than Windows own; I'd like to get someone's opinion about treatment of OS and partioning drives.

Collapse -
That's not necessary...
by John.Wilkinson / May 19, 2008 8:59 AM PDT

As long as the partitioning software works with the OS you're running it under you're good to go. Partitioning apps do not create OS-specific partitions, nor do they need to remain installed during or after OS installation. Just remember to install Ubuntu (or other distro) after Windows.

Collapse -
by bobbenedetti / October 13, 2006 3:08 AM PDT

My vote goes to Bootit NG from www.terabyteunlimited.com
I have been using it for years and it has never let me down.

Collapse -
Allocate extra memory to an extended partition?
by Spech / December 7, 2006 1:18 AM PST
In reply to: Try BOOTIT NG

I had a go at using Bootit as I would like to allocate extra memory to my C drive. Apparently it is not allowed to allocate extra memory to Extended Partition. Is there a solution ? I have 2G available as free space and my computer is still running under Windows ME.
Thanks for any tips.

Collapse -
Gnome Partition Editor - Free, does everything & easy to use
by maggiem143 / October 13, 2006 3:19 AM PDT

Don't bother with PartitionMagic if you're only going to use it once or twice -- it's a waste of money and totally not worth it.

It's even open source!

Collapse -
Free may not be easy
by albizzia / October 13, 2006 8:39 AM PDT

"Gnome Partition Editor" is a Linux program, meaning that you will either have to install Linux, or run it from a bootable "Live Linux" CD. That also means dealing with the quirks inherent in Linux.
It is very important to read the instructions - there are a few quirks in Gnome PartEdit. For example, while it can resize NTFS partitions, you MUST reboot Windows, and Windows will note the changes and scan for errors and correct them.

It is not as easy to use as Partition Magic or Partition Commander, 2 programs I can recommend for ease of use. Both can resize/move FAT, FAT32, NTFS and Linux partitions without any problems.

If you want to save money, try the disk management tools included in your OS first. Then, if they are insufficient or too difficult, consider other options.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Norton PartitionMagic
by Ryo Hazuki / October 14, 2006 2:12 AM PDT
Collapse -
It's not worth purchasing
by Noizxland / October 15, 2006 10:40 PM PDT

It's unreasonable expensive.
doesn't have recovery expert wizard.
so i'm not sure if u need that?

Collapse -
partition magic LOL give me a break
by weeve1 / July 17, 2008 1:02 AM PDT

Partition magic is useless and dangerous even.
I just recovered (literally just) from the mess PM created
partition merge ? forget it all it did for me is delete the partition and data on the partition that supposed to be merged .

Thank god it didn't ruin C:/ and cudos to Easy Recovery Professional which saved me terabytes in the past as well

back to the good Ole Fdisk for me

Collapse -
Acronis True image Workstation 9.1 Rocks
by Jordon Berkove / October 16, 2006 1:30 PM PDT

It makes a bootable backup without needing your original XP disk. I use it with an external Harddrive. I put together using a Nexstar enclosure and a Seagate 300gig ATA drive. (No External SATA yet on my tower). I had an issue with a deeply rooted virus a while back and it worked perfect. One warning, some USB mouses wont work on the boot disk depending on the motherboard, but you can manuver with the keyboard, NO USB problems there. Restored 250Gigs of data using default setting and copying partition whole in a couple of hours with USB 2.
Spend the extra money for workstation over home as home is still 9.0 and buggy. Costs $79 on their site.

Collapse -
It's not a partitioning software
by Noizxland / October 17, 2006 10:50 PM PDT

no doubt ATICW is a good product but it's not a partitioning, but backup utility.
so i'm not sure this product can help the user

Collapse -
This could help...
by GBTrevor / October 19, 2006 9:28 PM PDT

As you could use it to back up data, then reformat the HD into the partitions you want and then easily restore the data to your primary partition.

Collapse -
Isn't it too difficult?
by Noizxland / October 22, 2006 10:29 PM PDT
In reply to: This could help...

That's takes much time and is too hard to complite.
It's much easier to donwload partitioning software.
and create partition, don't u find?

Collapse -
U must be kidding
by Noizxland / October 25, 2006 5:48 PM PDT
In reply to: This could help...

should agree with Noizxland
it's rather hard. Much better to download Disk Director. besides, unlike, ATICW 9.1, ADDD can resize partitions (that will most likely need costumer).
so, it's unwarrantable to download True Image Corporate Workstation version.

Collapse -
De gustibus non disputandum
by capitanu2k5 / October 20, 2006 7:42 AM PDT

Iam satisfied by PartionMagic8.0(Power Quest's Power Magic)Probably the same with that Symantec which incorporated them.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.