Camcorders forum

General discussion

Which one is the best video editing software

by steffinjames / July 9, 2007 2:59 PM PDT

other than picture package and windows movie maker?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Which one is the best video editing software
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Which one is the best video editing software
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
2 programs
by instybob / July 9, 2007 3:47 PM PDT

I like 2 programs for their simplicity and ability.

Cyberlink PowerDirector is what I use for quicky jobs even though it has a lot of built in features. You can even download a trail version at

I also use Pinnacle Studio for more intensive editing. Still easy to use though. They just came out with version 11 that is much more stable than earlier versions and even comes with a green screen in the box! Lots of plug ins available too (for a price).

Collapse -
by pat2193 / November 27, 2009 3:57 AM PST
In reply to: 2 programs

I agree. Those are some pretty nice programs

Collapse -
For me, Sony Vegas is
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 9, 2007 10:39 PM PDT

The tops.

Collapse -
Just to add...
by whizkid454 / July 9, 2007 11:55 PM PDT
In reply to: For me, Sony Vegas is

If the full version of Vegas is too taxing on your budget, take a look at Vegas Studio. Has most of Vegas' features but at a fraction of the price.

Collapse -
As a matter of fact...
by whizkid454 / July 10, 2007 1:02 AM PDT
In reply to: Just to add...
Collapse -
For me Sony Vegas
by Daisy May / July 13, 2007 10:06 PM PDT
In reply to: For me, Sony Vegas is

Yes this is for me tooo. I loved it. BUT have now bought a HDD JVC. camcorder. which is great. BUT can only use their software which comes with it, which is also great. But would just love to try editing on SV with it. But SV will not accept it. Anybody got any ideas on this?

Collapse -
File conversion
by acsims2 / April 15, 2009 1:31 PM PDT
In reply to: For me Sony Vegas

The JVC camcorder uses the MOV. format and they must be converted in order to use in video editing software. I'm using AVS Video Converter 6 and it converts the file to several different formats to your liking.I hope this helps. I wrestled with this issue for several hours before figuring it out. Good luck.

Collapse -
Best video editing software
by traindude49 / July 13, 2007 11:28 AM PDT

I have been using pinnacle version 11 , and it has been pretty straight forward as a novice in editing. Bought it to solve burning problems , and it has worked a treat

Collapse -
by instybob / July 13, 2007 11:35 AM PDT

Vegas seems like nice software, but it does have a pretty heavy learning curve.

Collapse -
Pinnacle v.11 video editing software
by jtsaid / June 3, 2008 7:34 PM PDT

I have a Pentium IV 1400MHz computer with 512MB RAM and just installed Pinnacle v.11 video editing software.I still have the Studio version 9 installed, which I am more familiar with. However I am having problems with my computer which is automatically re-booting while in the process of burning a DVD (during the 3rd Step- Make movie)
Could anyone give me advice.
Joseph Said

Collapse -
Try another PC
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 4, 2008 12:01 AM PDT

Sometimes I find the machine has an error or issue. Testing on another machine usually tells us this answer.

Collapse -
If you want the best
by Argotec / July 13, 2007 1:08 PM PDT

Have a look at Avid software, I use Avid Liquid and get great results for a slightly cheaper alternative Premier Pro by Adobe I find is nearly as good!
Have fun.

Collapse -
Video Editong Software
by aussiejock / July 14, 2007 4:02 PM PDT

I use AVS video software and find it very good, it can convert to any mode U want. U have to buy it if U cannot find the registration numbers.
I use nothing else. called AVS video converter

Collapse -
2 fave programs
by getting2delerious / July 14, 2009 2:59 AM PDT

Adobe Premiere Pro CS3
and Corel Video Studio 11

Collapse -
by cataEye / November 27, 2009 1:10 AM PST
In reply to: 2 fave programs

Here is another thread where people share opinions about the AVS converter.

I have try it myself among with other video converters. Pretty simple to use, but It supports advanced formats such as H.264, MP4, SWF or WMV and runs under Windows XP/2003/Vista.

Here is an article talking about video encoders reffering to YouTube for example. A few video samples are loaded as a test:

See me offline if you need more information about this.

EyePartner Streaming Consultant

Collapse -
AVS Works for me
by mgeddie / February 15, 2010 9:59 PM PST
In reply to: Encoding

I have been AVS Video Converter to rip video from my Canon DVD camcorder with excellent results. I also like the fact upgrades are free for life when you purchase the software.

Collapse -
My Favorite
by Dogmastyle / November 27, 2009 3:49 AM PST

my favorite, would most likely be Sony Vegas 8 because it has so many options to choose from, and at the same time, it is not to difficult to learn, and once you get the hang of it, you can make astonishing videos.

Collapse -
Personal opinion
by LucJs / November 30, 2009 5:01 AM PST

I've been using Video Studio 11 for a few years now, and it was really easy to get started, still very powerful.

Collapse -
Personal opinion
by jazzspot / December 15, 2009 4:45 AM PST
In reply to: Personal opinion

I use the following software:
Sony Vegas
CyberLink PowerDirector
TMPGEnc 4.0 XPress
Aieesoft AVCHD Converter
Aieesoft MTS Converter

I mostly use TMPGEnc and the Aieesoft software for the minimal conversion/editing stuff.

Collapse -
Power Director 9
by rusty5hi / March 9, 2011 2:44 AM PST

Stay away from Power Director 9!! It does not work well on Windows 7 64 if at all. Customer support is very slow to respond 3-7 days and will procrastinate until the 30 day refund is over and then they won't give you your money back. Or you can pay $30 and talk to someone who can barely speak English and still get no solution to your problems. I could not get 3 of the CODEC's to activate online claiming that I was not online when in fact I was connected to their website! Also I could never get any audio play back.
Two big thumbs down!!!

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.