Laptops forum

Resolved Question

Which of these laptops should I choose?

by ShyOrchid / October 22, 2012 4:45 AM PDT

Hello people,

I'm writing this because, as the tittle states, I need to buy a new laptop and don't know which of my options to choose.

First things first, what kind of things will I need this laptop for? I'm a graphic designer student, so I need something with a good graphics card that can support Photoshop and Illustrator which are the programs I mainly work with. Doesn't have to be the best graphics card ever.

I also use it for everyday web surfing and some light gaming (If Sims 3 can be considered light gaming).

Now, after many months of investigating, I have come down to the next choices:

HP Pavilion dv6

*Processor - AMD Quad-Core A8-4500M (3.0GHz/2.1GHz, 4MB L2 Cache)
*Screen size - 15.6" HD BrightView LED-backlit (1366 x 768)
*Memory - 4GB 1600MHz DDR3 (I'll probably upgrade to 8gb)
*Hard drive -640GB 5400RPM
*Graphics Card - AMD Radeon(TM) HD 7600 Series Discrete-Class Graphics
*Price - $530

HP Pavilion DM4

*Processor - Intel Core i5-3210M (3.1 GHz/2.4 GHz )
*Screen size - 14" HD+ anti-glare LED-backlit (1600 x 900)
*Memory - 8GB DDR-3
*Hard drive - 640GB
*Graphics Card - Intel HD Graphics 4000
*Price - $580

Dell Inspiron 15R

*Processor - Intel Core i5-3210M processor (3.1 GHz/2.4 GHz)
*Screen size - 15.6" High Definition (720p) LED Display with Truelife
*Memory - 6GB Dual Channel
DDR3 SDRAM at 1600MHz
*Hard drive - 500GB/750GB
*Graphics Card - Intel HD Graphics 4000
*Price - $596 (500GB) or $621 (750GB)

-----

I was originally going to buy the HP Pavilion dv6, but HP Pavilion dm4 has a back-lit keyboard that I'm in love with and I'm not sure if the dv6 model I'll buy has one. Another thing I'm worried is the fact that the dv6 has a AMD processor which I have heard are not that durable and heat up very quickly. This last issue is the reason why I thought of the Dell Inspiron 15R and added it to the list.

Looking at this comparison, I would choose the dm4, but I haven't read enough reviews to make sure it's a good decision.

So, could you please help me choose which laptop is better for me?

NOTE: Please I ask that you only comment if you will say something about these laptops. I'm aware that these may not be the best computers for graphic designing, but these are the only ones within my budget that I like. That being said, I kindly ask you to not comment: "Get a Mac!", if I had the money I would, but I don't so I can't.

ShyOrchid has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Which of these laptops should I choose?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Which of these laptops should I choose?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by ShyOrchid

Collapse -
suggestion
by junky77 / October 22, 2012 5:08 AM PDT

None. what is your budget?

Generally, you should look for a laptop with a good screen (usually 1080p screen would be better)
Do you have an external monitor ?
enough memory - at least 6GB I'd say as it really makes thing much more comfortable while using premiere and PS
about the cpu - the AMDs are excellent. They are not as fast as the higher Intel models, but they are very good and also energy efficient. Maybe you heard thing about their old laptops, from 9-10 years ago (I still hear people saying that)
HDD - personally, if you really need a lot of storage space, you better go for one of the external HDD deals - much higher GB / $$ ratio. Do you know how much you need?
graphics - not HD 3000 and HD 4000 which are quite poor. We'll try to find something

I suggest the HP dv6z-7000 with the matte 1080p screen upgrade, at least - but wait for the next coupons. Usually you can get a lot for 700$ (can you manage it?)
I recommend this one because other laptops with such a good 1080p screen cost at least the same and offer less in the gpu department.

Here is the current coupon:
http://www.gaminglaptopsjunky.com/hp-dv6z-7000-gaming-laptop-7730m-fullhd/

Collapse -
Thanks for the advice
by ShyOrchid / October 22, 2012 1:25 PM PDT
In reply to: suggestion

My budget is around RD$30k which is $760 dollars. I do have an external monitor although I doubt I'll use it with the laptop, but it's still there.

Thanks for the reassuring AMD advice, it really helps a lot. I was making assumptions because of internet comments and because of the fact that my sister owns a HP Pavilion dv4 with an AMD processor and I have noticed that it gets pretty hot around the top area of the keyboard. Also since I've heard dv6 has HP Coolsense technology I'm more open to buy a AMD processor laptop.

I'll probably wait for the black friday/cyber monday deals to buy it.

Thanks a lot for answering Happy

Collapse -
I just read an article that said
by orlbuckeye / October 22, 2012 9:42 PM PDT
In reply to: Thanks for the advice

Intel firmly controls the high ground, the middle groung and would probably would have run AMD out on the low ground if it wasn't fixated on the ARM processors today. They said that AMD 8 core processors of today can barely beat the last generation Intel quad cores without hyperthreading enabled. They say the only place for AMD is entry level machines.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.