Headphones & Mp3 Players forum

General discussion

Which MP3 player will allow me to load and use folders?

by scottkelly / April 28, 2006 2:51 AM PDT

Didn't get an answer to this question yesterday and I thought maybe it wasn't clear enough that I'm asking for a player recommendation ..Most, if not all of the MP3s I want to load and use don't have any of the artist-genre-album title info... I'm studying old time fiddle music and make my own MP3s from field recordings... I don't have the time or inclination to edit hundreds music tracks to create this kind of info per tune.... Instead, I have it all wonderfully organized by artist and key on my computer in a neat and efficient folder system. I would like to mirror that system on an MP3 player...

I have the impression that many, if not all players try to make your life ''easier'' by organizing your music for you... Exactly what I don't want... what players out there allow me to set up and use my library the way I want?

I have a friend who has an older zen micro, (512 mb) and he says his will do it, but I'm hoping to get something more like a couple of gigs...

thanks,
Steve

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Which MP3 player will allow me to load and use folders?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Which MP3 player will allow me to load and use folders?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
mp3 player with folders
by janalong / April 28, 2006 3:43 AM PDT

I have a sony network walkman nw-hd1 that allows me to set up my own folders on my computer and transfer them to my mp3 player. It has a 20gig hard drive.

I hope this helps. I think Ipods let you do the same thing by setting up play lists on itunes.

Collapse -
MP3 PLayers and Folders
by ceast / April 28, 2006 4:27 AM PDT

Creative Labs (the company that makes the Zen) also makes Jukebox products. I have an older 20GB (which I've since upgraded) Jukebox that I can load folders onto... either directly through Windows Explorer, or by using the CReative Labs software that it comes with... the latter being the much easier option.

The menu system on their Jukebox products is very easy to use as well.

Now, you CAN'T use multiple level folders... for example, if you have an artist with multiple albums, you cannot create a folder for the artist, with sub-folders for the albums, and be able to scroll through them.

Hope that helps.

Collapse -
Archos Gmini 402 Camcorder
by PMR / April 28, 2006 4:44 AM PDT
Collapse -
samsung YP-F1
by ddubb / April 28, 2006 7:27 PM PDT

Its only one gig but it does work with folders.

I didn't research this product before I got it but I got what looked like a fairly good price at the time - about $109 at Best Buy a couple months ago. At least it was a competitive price for other products in the stores that day.

I practically twisted the saleskid's arm behind his back, making him promise me that it worked with folders and didn't rely on any proprietary media organizer. My stuff is tagged fairly well but still its all outlined in categories, subcategories etc within folders. I wanted to drag and drop.

He promised me it was capable of both folders drag'n'drop and also the proprietary software. Even so, I was a bit leery about the interface on the player. He couldn't demonstrate it to me so I just took a chance. The reason I was leery is because of how small the thing is. Its about the size of your thumb, only shorter and flatter.

I've been amazed at how much I like the display and interface. Very simple, very capable, very user friendly and intuitive. I had it for months, using all the features, before I cracked the operator's manual. Actual to be honest I did glance at the first few pages of the book, just checking for warnings that wouldn't be obvious. For example, they recommend that you always play the device until the battery runs all the way down before you recharge it, and then charge it completely. If you don't do this, the battery life will be shortened.

Since I brought it up, this is the only shortcoming I can see with this product. It started to be kind of a drag for me, to always have to get the battery run down to zero. To do that, the battery doesn't always "die" at a convenient time. So if you're in a good position to recharge before it dies, what do you do? just turn it on for a while to let it completely die?

My solution is to just ignore that advice. They say the downside is that the battery life may run down sooner. Oh well I'll just have to deal with that when the time comes.

I know one gig is a bit smaller than what you're looking for but I took the time to post for the following reasons. The good points of this device are good enough that you may settle for the smaller storage. After all, its so incredibly easy to swap music off and onto the device. Second, maybe Samsung will have a very similiar product with just a bit more capacity.

One other downside I might see for someone that is a lover of music. The sound quality isn't the absolute best that I've heard. I've also owne a couple Creative Labs Nomad Jukebox Zen Xtras - 30gb and 40gb - and the sound quality is pretty amazing on those. At least as good as a high quality CD walkman.

The Samsung is not a huge step down. If you have an ear for music, for quality in sound, you will probably be able to detect it. For me its not a big deal because I use the Samsung almost entirely for podcasts, and I keep the Zen Xtra around for music. Of course I use the Samsung for music also and I don't even think of the sound quality, I just relax and enjoy. I'd say its at or slightly above good FM reception quality. It definitely gets you by in a pinch.

In the end, I hate trading off music quality for any other thing. But since the Samsung isn't primarily a music device for me, I LOVE the size. Its ultra light, flash, with a built in clip. It fits in the coin pocket in my jeans, I can't detect it. Or I put it on my cell phone holster or even the collar of my T-shirt.

BTW, it does also have FM and voice recorder.

Collapse -
re: recharging the YP-F1
by Mattjb34 / April 29, 2006 12:18 AM PDT
In reply to: samsung YP-F1

Ddub, I'm considering buying a yp-f1 because it has all the features I want, but I wouldn't always have a computer handy to recharge the battery. Do you ever use any other method to recharge (ac to usb, for example), or do you know if there is another way to do it without the computer?

Collapse -
Using a powered USB hub for re-charging?
by scottkelly / April 30, 2006 12:39 AM PDT

I have a powered USB hub plugged into my laptop all the time, and even when the laptop is off that hub is still on... I'm thinking that possibly a powered hub and a usb cord would function as a charger with or without a computer...of course I don't know, but someone could try it...

thanks
Steve

Collapse -
Thanks for the detailed reply
by scottkelly / April 30, 2006 12:34 AM PDT
In reply to: samsung YP-F1

Firstly I want to say thanks for taking the time to give me such a detailed reply... I find out so much on internet forums and it's always fun to get help on something from a complete stranger...There's something wonderfully selfless about how people will sometimes go out of there way to pass on what they've learned...

I was unable to track down exactly a YP-F1. I did find an YP-F1Z ... Is that the same thing? AT this website, http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php/masterid=10517249/zip_code=44211/qlty=r/
I found a refurbished one for $89... Could you let me know if that looks like the same product you're speaking of...
One gig is big enough I think... Sure I'd take a couple gigs if I could get it cheaply enough..

Based on your post, and others here as well, I started looking more closely at samsung products, and even downloaded a couple manuals from samsung... the manuals sort of suggest that this method of use is possible, but they don't seem to anticipate that someone would want to use it exclusively...

I can relate to your remark about going to Best Buy and
"practically twisting the saleskid's arm"... I've run into some saleskids there that seemed very knowledgable, and plenty of the other kind too... This kind of request amounts to trying to pin them down on something they can probably only guess about... I just had a Best Buy saleskid tell me two days ago that "none of the MP3 players could be used that way" he further suggested that I should be looking at PDAs...

I guess I was hoping I wouldn't have to spend more than a hundred or so bucks for such a device... Maybe that's still possible.... I still hoping to gather some more info before making a purchase.

thanks again for your information
STeve

Collapse -
Samsung YP-Z5
by rbovani / April 29, 2006 2:16 AM PDT

This player allows you to do it.
If you use WMP10 to transfer music (MTP Mode), it'll create it's own folder structure, which in my opion, really sucks.
But if you just connect it to your pc without opening WMP it goes into USB mode and you can drag and drop files and folders using your own structure.
I dont' think it'll allow you to transfer non supported media files tho, as it's not UMS, so you can't use it as a portable flash drive.

havn't tried yet tho

Collapse -
YP-Z5 is UMS, but ID3
by perfectionist_TN-20967982583340600535619550270102 / April 29, 2006 5:54 AM PDT
In reply to: Samsung YP-Z5

You can drag-and-drop, but not browse with folders.

The iAudio X5 has file-tree browsing, though.

Collapse -
What do the terms "UMS" and "ID3" mean?
by scottkelly / April 30, 2006 12:43 AM PDT
In reply to: YP-Z5 is UMS, but ID3

Hey thanks for the information. Could you give me a hint as to what those terms mean... I completely new to the world of MP3 players.

thanks
Steve

Collapse -
you're looking for Filetree
by woohoo22 / April 29, 2006 6:05 AM PDT

you could get an older iRiver product and load Rockbox on it

www.rockbox.com

i say go for the iAudio X5L 20/30gb I loved mine. you can just copy and paste your music onto it, and it will appear on the player the way it does in your computer

Collapse -
Try the Sandisk c150
by scrogg1122 / April 29, 2006 4:55 PM PDT

I`ve been loading mixed music files on my c150. You have the option to load as a mass storage device file.
I`ve also organized my non-copyright protected music by file since Musicmatch won`t upload or handle unprotected music.

Collapse -
Are you using folders you create yourself on your PC?
by scottkelly / April 30, 2006 12:12 AM PDT
In reply to: Try the Sandisk c150

I have mostly "non-copyright protected music" and so I need to store my music in a collection of named folders. Does this sandisk allow you to navigate to folders and play individual tunes from them? Do you get the option to have it repeat-play a single tune, or a whole folder?
Can you arrange your folders entirely on your computer and then simple drag and drop a half dozen or so folders onto the sandisk and that's all there is to it?

thanks for your help with this.
Steve

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.