Cameras

Question

Which mfg has best lens selection for compact ILCs?

by lichter--2008 / June 8, 2013 8:11 AM PDT

I'm looking to enter the compact ILC market with not much money but high hopes to acquire quality lenses down the line. Ideally, I'd buy in with a low-end used body that shares the same mount as higher-end cameras.

So, the question is which mfg and entry-level body to go with. The choices, I assume, are Sony NEX, Olympus PEN, Panasonic Lumix, and ... not sure if there's anything else.

Any suggestions?

P.S. I don't actually need a huge lens selection, because I normally make do with a wide angle and a portrait lens (20mm and 85mm for my 40-year-old SLR).

P.P.S. I'm staying away from DSLRs because I want something potentially pocketable and I blew out my shoulders a long time ago carrying heavy SLR gear.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Which mfg has best lens selection for compact ILCs?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Which mfg has best lens selection for compact ILCs?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Samsung NX1000
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / June 8, 2013 12:04 PM PDT
Collapse -
Answer
re: Which mfg has best lens selection for compact ILCs?
by MarkatNite / June 9, 2013 10:22 AM PDT

Well, "best" is obviously subjective. But micro 4/3 (from Panasonic, Olympus and a few third parties--Voigtlander, Tokina, Samyang, etc.) has the largest selection. And yes, they can be used interchangeably. e.g. I use Panasonic lenses on my Olympus E-PL5 and Olympus lenses on my Panasonic GH2. The "catch" in your case could be that, to get a similar 20mm Full Frame equivalent Field of View with the 2X crop 4/3 sensor, you'd have to go with either the Panasonic 8mm or Olympus 12mm. (I own and would recommend the Oly 12mm.) (Or the Panasonic 7-14mm zoom.) But on the portrait end, Olympus has a 45mm f1.8 (which I also own), Panasonic will be releasing a 42.5mm f1.2, and Voigtlander will be releasing a 42.5mm f0.95, all of which should suit your needs quite well.

The other catch is that none of these is really "pocketable" (like a Sony RX100 or Canon S110 is, for example), especially with a fast telephoto (zoom) lens. Although, they are significantly smaller than a full frame DSLR, especially with an equivalent lens mounted on the DSLR. (And the next Panasonic m4/3 body is supposed to be the smallest yet, but you're still going to have the issue of lens size.)

Oh, and just for the sake of completeness, there's also the Nikon 1 series - Mark

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.