Linux forum

General discussion

Which Linux Distro?

by jbecohen / February 12, 2013 9:51 AM PST

I have a windows 7 based laptop where the security software and the web browser are having dificulty living together on one PC - Don't ask its a long story. I already have a Dell that is running Ubuntu and I am very happy with it. If I installed a Linux distro on the laptop that would solve a lot of my problems, however I do not want to have two different laptops running Ubuntu I would like a different distro on the other laptop. I am currently typing on the Ubuntu laptop. My requirements are: 1) Must be something other than Ubuntu; 2) Must be able to do a multi boot between windows 7 and the linux distro (so I could go back to Windows 7 if the need ever came up); 3) Must work well on laptops; 4) Must be able to use a several interfaces, I like the ability to switch my interfaces based on my mood; 5) I like to order the OS on CD.

Which distro do you recommend.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Which Linux Distro?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Which Linux Distro?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Check this Distro out
by itsdigger / February 12, 2013 10:14 AM PST
In reply to: Which Linux Distro?
Collapse -
Some suggestions
by 3rdalbum / February 15, 2013 1:24 PM PST

Mageia
Fedora
OpenSUSE
PCLinuxOS

Collapse -
Mint?
by SkepTones / April 11, 2013 12:19 AM PDT

Have you ever tried Linux mint? Its pretty nice, if you've Never used it before I would recommend trying it out. http://www.linuxmint.com

Collapse -
Basis
by 3rdalbum / April 11, 2013 2:14 AM PDT
In reply to: Mint?

Mint is based on Ubuntu. It's regarded as a different distro, and it definitely has a different look and feel, but underneath it's exactly the same. This might appeal to the OP, but then it might not.

Collapse -
I prefer Kubuntu, version 12.10
by James Denison / May 4, 2013 8:51 AM PDT

Mint 14 as a second choice. Kubuntu does a regular install onto a flash drive which becomes 'persistent', allowing changes in the program, add new programs, save files to Home folders, and boot from it, which is like having all a Live DVD install capabilities of booting almost any computer rather than tailored just to the one the install is done with. It's the best of both worlds.

Mint Live DVD is easily installed to a first and single partition on a flashdrive in FAT32 file system, but only windows can see the rest of the drive to save files to. You can however gparted the drive, shrinking the first partition and creating a second partition which Mint can then see to use as storage area. That second partition's folders and files won't be seen in windows, so gives some limited privacy from other windows users accessing it, unless they realize the flashdrive is bootable into Linux.

I found Kubuntu easier to work with, easily given a more windows friendly look, starting from the Start Menu appearance. Mint on a full install removes some programs and driver files, thereby limiting it's usage mainly to the computer it's installed on. That's fine for a hard drive install, not so great if you wanted it on flashdrive to boot other computers.

For hard drive install, so long as you know how to install programs Mint 14 drops like gparted, then both are good. For Flashdrive installs which can be booted from a variety of computers, Kubuntu works best.

Here is how my Mint 14 flashdrive is setup. After this screen capture I shrunk that boot partition to 100 MiB and added the extra onto the next partion used for system install.
http://www.glenburniemd.net/Linux/Kingstron16GB_Mint14-Gparted.jpg

Here is how the Kubuntu 12.10 on flashdrive install appears.
http://www.glenburniemd.net/Linux/Kingston16GB_Kubuntu_Kparted1.jpg

Here's my Kubuntu desktop with adjusted menu, font and sizes adjusted to personal preference, a background photo, added Thunderbird and Firefox programs. I have 4 different desktops setup on it, each with their own background and specific programs to use.
http://www.glenburniemd.net/Linux/Kingston16GB_KubuntuDesktop1.jpg

Just my opinion, but I feel Kubuntu is most windows user friendly. I think the Mint MATE desktop version is a bit behind Kubuntu, but it's a great distro nevertheless.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.