Laptops forum

Which laptop?? Toshiba or ASUS?

by pinkstarz66 / May 13, 2012 4:10 PM PDT

I need advice on purchasing a laptop. I am choosing between a Toshiba and ASUS. I currently have the Asus K53SD-SX132V, i am now on my third one and each one has had a different problem so i need to exchange it once again. I did alot of research before buying this and most reviews & sales people said Asus was the better brand with better quality parts etc. Not sure if i have had bad luck but i am now about to exchange my third faulty asus. I can either get another ASUS one exactly the same & hopefully the three faulty ones i have had were pure bad luck. Or the other one i am choosing out of is the Toshiba L850/03D. What would your advice/opinions be?

They both have the same specs, i5 processor, 4GB RAM, 750GB hard drive, 2GB graphics card. They are the main things i was looking at. Can anyone else advise if one would be better than the other? Battery life?? quality?? anything?? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Here are the links to the two i am choosing out of:

(the link to the asus is to the whole K53SD series i think but the specific one i am choosing out of is the K53SD-SX132V)

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Which laptop?? Toshiba or ASUS?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Which laptop?? Toshiba or ASUS?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Just need to know a little more.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 13, 2012 4:11 PM PDT

Is there any GAMING involved? I find that can really age a laptop.

Collapse -
by pinkstarz66 / May 13, 2012 4:32 PM PDT

Thanks for the reply, it wont be used for gaming at all really, just general everyday internet use. And some photo editing, but not much Happy

Collapse -
The 2GB video card was why I asked.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 14, 2012 2:28 AM PDT
In reply to: Clarification

That's way more than a photo editor or use would demand. But would push the machine into that odd world of laptop gaming where folk think the machine has a bug yet it's just something in that game.

For photo work I'd check the unit first hand for display quality and

I see few reveiws to work with so a first hand inspection is required. This is for photo work so we can't get away without the work. Sorry but the usual review is not there. EXAMPLE?
Scroll down to the DISPLAY section at to see what I look at to pick one over the other if I can't see the machines first hand.

Since the reviews are not found, you have to go see the machines.

All Answers

Collapse -
Honest Answer
by techyguy717 / May 26, 2012 1:51 PM PDT

As a technology consultant the toshiba has very powerful graphics, for gaming and high graphics processing. When using if from the battery, you might get less time before needing a recharge.

The Asus uses more lower cost graphics, (enough for basic photo editing). You should get better battery life from this one.

When it comes to quality, look up reviews of both.

Collapse -
by gargy2002 / May 27, 2012 7:08 PM PDT

I would pick the Toshiba. It has the latest chipset (better for upgrades later) for Ivy Bridge processors even when there is a core i5 processor (Sandy Bridge I guess but it's backward compatible). I have had one Toshiba laptop already (D2C 5 years ago) and can say that it was a very good and reliable machine. I actually think about a Toshiba laptop myself now but I'm still waiting for HP ones..

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.