Laptops forum

General discussion

Which laptop should I buy?

by ultimategeekterminator / March 31, 2013 2:14 PM PDT

The options are:
Lenovo Ideapad y500 (gt 650m sli)
Asus g75vx (gtx 670mx)
Sager NP9150 (gtx 670mx, gtx 675m, gtx 675mx or hd 7970m)
Msi ms-1762 (gtx 670m or gtx 675m)

Some of these models feature a gtx 670mx and gtx 675m, so I would like to know which is better. I also want to know how well is the quality, especially the cooling system since I will be doing some overclock and which laptops have a mxm module.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Which laptop should I buy?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Which laptop should I buy?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Don't do it.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 31, 2013 2:57 PM PDT

Laptops are very limited in cooling compared to desktops. Your post makes me think you were on a desktop and this is your first gaming laptop. I don't think this will end well.
Bob

Collapse -
Ok
by ultimategeekterminator / March 31, 2013 3:55 PM PDT
In reply to: Don't do it.

I only want to know which laptop is better, then I will decide if a desktop is better.
This is my first gaming pc, I was a console gamer until now, but that doesnt mean that I dont know tech stuff.

Collapse -
Better at what?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 1, 2013 1:55 AM PDT
In reply to: Ok

If you took those laptops and played some game then one of them would be the best. Change games and another would be best.

This is why there is no way to declare which is best.

-> Overclocking on laptops is only for those that can afford burnt out machines.
Bob

Collapse -
What he said and then some
by Pepe7 / April 1, 2013 2:02 AM PDT
In reply to: Better at what?

I still always smile at the number of 'which one is best' type posts @ CNET.

Collapse -
Comparison
by ultimategeekterminator / April 2, 2013 10:06 PM PDT

Which laptop has better quality, the MSI MS-1762 (GT70 BAREBONE) or the Sager Np9150?

Collapse -
Impossible to say.
by Kees_B Forum moderator / April 2, 2013 10:25 PM PDT
In reply to: Comparison

Why not look for reviews? Those hopefully show the + and - of both. Then you can decide what's most important for you and which one suits you best.

Kees

Collapse -
I'll ditch the sager.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 3, 2013 1:37 AM PDT
In reply to: Comparison

Why? Because long ago they could not supply spare parts for their laptops and that was that. They may have improved but watching folk that got burned was not fun.
Bob

Collapse -
The Sager NP 9150 now
by orlbuckeye / April 4, 2013 10:12 PM PDT
Collapse -
Info about laptop companies
by orlbuckeye / April 4, 2013 11:14 PM PDT

Asus, MSI and Sager are similar in the way they distribute their laptops. Lenova is more mainstream like toshiba, dell and HP.

Sager's are made by Clevo in Asia. They are basically barebone systems with the case with screen and mobo and sent to Sager factory in California where they configure to the customer liking (adding memory, HD and OS). Sager also has deals with some internet computer stores that take orders and Sager build the systems in california. Clevo dows this type of distribution all over the world. Eurocomm is a company in Canada and Rock is one in England. They specialize in gaming systems.

Asus and MSI distribute the same way using barebones to certain smaller computer stores and they configure them. The difference si in the past 5 or so year Asus and MSI have started distribtuing to the mainstream retails out their configured sytems just like the name brands (dell, toshiba and Lenova).

The so called name brands (dell, toshiba and Lenova) basically distribute through the mainstream retail outlets (best buy, staples and office depot) but most do offer confugureable systems on their own websites only.

The thing about Sager is the basic unit it distributed throughout the world under multiple brands exclusive to the countries. Those laptop all have the same hardware and the local retails outlets add Seagate and western digital harddrives. The contain ATI and Nvidia graphics cards

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sager_Notebook_Computers

I have purchased 2 laptops from Sager and when I received the tracking notice from UPS the laptop shipped from California. When I ordered a laptop from HP the tracking of the laptop started in China then to Alaska, Memphis and then Orlando.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET's Tech Minute

Top 3 news reading apps

With the latest tech, getting news delivered to your phone is easier than ever. Here's a roundup of apps that are customizable and useful for getting the news.