Laptops forum

Question

Which laptop for college?

by tbeims / August 28, 2012 2:30 PM PDT

I am way behind on my laptop knowledge. Need one for my dual enrolled student (college/high school). Uses: mostly writing papers, online research, online classes & possibly a Netflix movie. Looking for 3+ options for under $500.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Which laptop for college?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Which laptop for college?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
There are many otu there
by orlbuckeye / August 28, 2012 11:21 PM PDT

and most will be about the same. If you have a Costco membership they have a 2 year warranty on their electronics and most other have the 30 day return and 1 year manufacturers warranty.

Collapse -
Answer
Check the top of this forum.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 28, 2012 11:25 PM PDT
Collapse -
Answer
Asus R500N(K55N)-1ASX Mid-priced Laptop with Gaming
by Poppypbr / August 30, 2012 8:04 PM PDT

After careful consideration of every brand, came across the latest iterations of AMD's new accelerated 4-core CPU's and was impressed with their abilities, particularly with the A8 and the A10, Not only do they have a video accelerated 4 core CPU with great caching, but they each have capable and decent Radeon video cards.
Here the specs on the above that we bought:
A8-4500M 4 Core APU 1.9GHZ idle, ramp to 2.8GHZ
128KB L1 cache on each core 1024KB L2 cache on each core
8 GHZ DDR3 1600 speed memory !!!
Radeon HD7640G video card
Optical Drive 8X CD R-RW w/DVD
750GB 5400rpm SATA (the weakest component)
802.11w/g/n WiFi
Headphone Output,Microphone Input, 3 ports USB 3.0 and 2.0, Kensington Lock, USB charger, Flash Memory Slot, Power Input, HDMI Port, 15-pin D-sub monitor port VGA compatible, LAN Port
6-cell Lithium Ion battery 8-10 hr capable when not gaming.
Windows Home Premium 64-bit
No bloatware and a few usable ASUS utilities.
Battery charger with port for running off the charger and charge at the same time.
Windows Hardware Assessment: 6.7 That is above middle range desktop speed.
Price: $499.00 That's right, $499 at BJ's and its not a typo.
My rating: Outstanding. For the money: Superb.Compares favorably with $700-800 laptops.
Our last laptop was a Toshiba 15.6" 655D series with dual core Athon II. Good unit but the ASUS pays middle level games at full settings and high level at moderate settings while the Toshiba juddered and slowed.

You owe it to yourself to check out the AMD A8 and A10 laptops. Most Bang for the Buck and ASUS makes a great motherboard. This laptop is FAST! I would have bought the A10 if I could have found it. Its a little faster but not worth a regional search.

I uninstalled just McAfee AV and downloaded AVAST Free, Firefox, Advanced System Care, Revo Uninstaller, and Ausilogics Defragmenter.

This may help you decide: http://www.notebookcheck.net/Comparison-of-Laptop-Graphics-Cards.130.0.html

All work and no play makes Jack a dull student. Happy

Collapse -
Took your advice into consideration and bought this machine
by ghiath-matar / December 13, 2012 8:23 PM PST

It is known as the K55DR in the FarEast/Australia and it isn't a bad laptop (mine comes with just 500GB HD and is still win 7, all else seems the same). There are a couple of things that I was wanting to ask other owners:

1-I find the built in mic slightly on the rubbish side quality wise, as in all of recorded video messages one sounds as if talking through a pipe. This can be "rectified" *meaning natural voice range is captured without the digital clipping and processing) by switching off the noise cancellation box in mic properties, and checking the Direct mode box (I am not sure if this one has a huge bearing) but you end up with a mighty hiss and swoosh in the background. I have yet to try plugging a good quality external mic into the 3.5 mm side jack, but I did connect an audio device (an old MD player) and the background hiss was there too. Never had a similar problem with my old and waiting to be repaired Acer aspire 6920G laptop, the sound was crystal clear through its mic, as well as any audio devices attached to the dedicated extra audio input jack.

So I am wondering is it a faulty mic/sound card in my particular machine and should send to the Asus service center, or is it common to all the K55 series machines?

2-The other issue is the trackpad/touchpad: very slippery and jumpy and there is a very curious thing with 2 finger enlarge/pinch that happens when I open my Live mail messages or view them in the viewer pane. the slightest touch with two finger tips will blow up the size to 200+% before you can even pull your hand away, yet pinching does not bring the size down! Have you experienced that? Only in email, mind you.

Also curious to know if you have uninstalled any bloatware; I'm a bit lacking in knowledge as to what to keep and what to get rid of. (will be putting on Avast av as soon as my trendmicro 30 day cloud protection comes near the end, have mwb already)

Would appreciate any views on the these points.

Cheers,
GM

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.