Laptops forum

which laptop config. to go for?Please reply asap.URGENT.

by zarsenal / February 15, 2013 7:51 PM PST

For about 1-2 days ,i hve ben searching a lot.

First of all i want laptop for general college works.And also for games likes fifa or even some high end games.(farcry3etc).<div>Please reply considering type of games in todays market.

so my first question is whether gt-630m/radeon hd 8730m/7670m.?

would it matter if it is 1gb gt630/1gb radeon 7670m/2gb radeon 8730m/2gb 7670m?

Some Laptops i am seeing:(Please help me choose)

I am getting 8730m (2gb grphic crd) with intel i5 3337u.but i5 3337u has less clock speed.would this affect laptop's performance (whether gaming or for general use).it is even duo core while amd a10 4600m is quad core and has more clock speed.
New inspiron 15 r(i5-3337u,Rs.42,990 one).<div>This seems to be my first choice(dell+intel+2gb grphc crd)But major concern is clock speed.
Dell Inspiron 15 (3521)(same in config as above one)

i am getting 2gb 7670 with amd a10 4600m procssr.

but the below link says A10 4600m has mre power consumption and is somewhat less than i5-3337u.<div>

dell-new-inspiron-14r(i5 3210m(better clock speed than i5 3337u),1gb gt630m)

or(one in similar config.)

Inspiron 14R (Rs.39490 one)(i5 3210m,1gb gt630m)<span>

hp-pavilion-g4-2049tx(same prcssr as previous - i5 3210m,1gb 7670m)

6.i5 3210M WITH 2GB 7670M configuration.

Please Reply asap.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: which laptop config. to go for?Please reply asap.URGENT.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: which laptop config. to go for?Please reply asap.URGENT.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
1. Clock Speed is not a measure of speed.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 15, 2013 10:59 PM PST

Read about CPU BENCHMARKS and you discover you can not use CPU CLOCK SPEED as an indication of how fast a CPU is.

2. These look like GAMER CHOICES. I'm sure you've read this information.
"Our tests demonstrate fairly little difference between a $225 LGA 1155 Core i5-2500K and a $1000 LGA 2011 Core i7-3960X, even when three-way graphics card configurations are involved. It turns out that memory bandwidth and PCIe throughput don't hold back the performance of existing Sandy Bridge-based machines. ",3106-4.html

Given you are picking a very nice CPU (i5) and how that can keep the GPU fed, what's the goal here? You never wrote why these made your list.

Collapse -
You didn't answered me completely.Help me choose the config.
by zarsenal / February 16, 2013 4:31 PM PST

i mentioned these laptops cos they are gaming laptops(all of them have atleast 1gb graphic card) and they seem to fall in my budget.+ i prefer an intel processor(and DELL) more than AMD.
because of some heating problems related to HP and AMD as i have heard .
but as you said clock speed hardly matters if it is i5 3rd gen CPU.

But main question is which configuration would u guys advise.I mean which graphic crd should i choose whether (1gb or 2gb)
and gt 630m / radeon 7670m /radeon 8730m / radeon 8750m.
would 1gb graphic cdr be enough for playing todays games like farcry 3,nfs mw etc.

I recently found one more laptop with foll. config. but it was by samsung (which doesn't seem to be that famous in laptops):

Intel Core i5-3230M,2gb radeon hd 8750m(sort of a new grphc crd),6gb ram. Samsung NP370R5E-S05IN Notebook;43

should i go for this laptop(its a new laptop which has no review on net).

Collapse -
Looks nice.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 17, 2013 6:36 AM PST

The newer games do indeed tap the extra ram but that does not mean "speed".

It also appears you want someone to tell you what to buy.

HP falls from any list since my experience is they can't fix a laptop in their service department.
The Inspiron falls out because its LCD is barely acceptable and most are just flimsy good value laptops.

Get the Samsung.

Collapse -
I agree with Bob
by orlbuckeye / February 17, 2013 9:34 PM PST
In reply to: Looks nice.

that I would choose the Samsung. There is a reason why Dell bought Alienware rather then develop their own high end gaming machines.

Collapse -
graphic card???(1gb or 2gb)&&(which one 2 go for)
by zarsenal / February 21, 2013 2:41 AM PST
In reply to: I agree with Bob

please do compare these graphic crds. i mean please let me know which graphic crd should i choose .
And would it matter if it is 1gb or 2gb .(please do explain)
gt 630m / radeon 7670m /radeon 8730m / radeon 8750m

Collapse -
Can't compare. But you can.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 21, 2013 2:48 AM PST

Again, the newer games are tapping that second GB in the video card so you'll want that. If the maker will not talk to you about this, why are you shopping there?

As to each GPU, use google to find benchmarks. I use google and this search.

And so on. But the 630M shouldn't be an a "gamer's" list. I thought this was for games?

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.