Laptops

Question

Which laptop brand is the most reliable?

by Ruzzells / June 27, 2011 6:03 PM PDT

Hi
I'm planning to buy a new laptop, but I'm really really confused over what brand to buy
Which one do you guys think is the best and most reliable brand?
Sony Vaio, HP, ASUS, lenovo, or Toshiba?
Usage : Everyday-computing and gaming
I've been considering on buying a Vaio. But since it's really expensive, I have to re-consider other brands
I read on squaretrade, the 2 most reliable brands are ASUS and Toshiba, but I'm not really buyin' it. Coz, my friend's got an ASUS laptop, and after a few months, the hard drive went down. And it took a month for the service center to finish repairing it.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Which laptop brand is the most reliable?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Which laptop brand is the most reliable?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Because of the way laptops are manufactured
by orlbuckeye / June 28, 2011 12:26 AM PDT

by 3rd party companies it's hard to say what the best brand is. Laptops are designed by the name brands and manufactured in the far east by companies like Quanta and Compal. They use components made by 3rd party companies which are used across all brands. Asus doesn't make hard drives they get them from Seagate Western Digital and the few companies that make drives. Also some models within certain brands are better then others. Some models are manufacturered as mass market machines. These are the one you see at all retail outlets.
Asus is good because they have a 2 year warranty and 1 year accidental damage warranty. My suggestion is to look for a model you like and research it. Try to see it in the store and get the look and feel of it.

Collapse -
First of all,
by Ruzzells / June 28, 2011 2:33 AM PDT

Thanks for the reply
I did some research on the brands, and what I first thought to be the best brand in the computing world was HP, but then I read the SquareTrade study thing.. And there, HP was ranked to have the most malfunction cases than all other brands. While ASUS, (the brand I considered to be less-impressive) was ranked as the most reliable brand.
Well, that changed my point of view on HP and on ASUS.
Ok then.. Thanks

Collapse -
Answer
"gaming"
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 28, 2011 3:41 AM PDT

Gamer laptops tend to be hot things with reduced life spans. If gaming is the thing you'll have to accept this or do what most do. Go back to desktops.

Brand rarely matters here and studies are skewed because one or two names hold such a large market share. For example our office. We have almost all Dells so you can imagine what make is slammed for being unreliable.
Bob

Collapse -
Well
by Ruzzells / June 30, 2011 6:41 PM PDT
In reply to: "gaming"

I'm buying a laptop coz I'm going to college soon
So, the main usage of the laptop would be, for everyday-computing.. But I don't want laptops that are slow, like my netbook, that's why I'm buying a bigger, faster one.
I only have $1000 budget and am not planning to replace it soon, so I'm looking for the most durable and reliable brand.

Collapse -
Then will you buy it?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 1, 2011 12:27 AM PDT
In reply to: Well

We know what gaming does to laptops. Apple ranks very high here and the near 1K Macbook Pro should get you to 4 years given some care.

However if you want DURABLE the Panasonic Toughbooks are definitely what you buy.
Bob

Collapse -
Wow
by Ruzzells / July 1, 2011 2:45 AM PDT
In reply to: Then will you buy it?

It's far from my guess. Panasonic?
I prefer Windows-based laptops to Mac.. Even though I admit it's one trustworthy brand. I mean, I do want a Macbook, but I need the laptop for programming in college, I think it's a bit unpractical to do it on a Macbook. For everyday-computing, ok.. For programming, I'm not sure..

What about Vaio VPCCA15FG? It's been under my consideration for a couple of weeks

May I ask your opinion?
Since you have more experience in this field
Given the options of the brands I mentioned in my first post, what are the + and - of each brand?

Collapse -
Again GAMING equals lower life spans.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 1, 2011 2:57 AM PDT
In reply to: Wow
Collapse -
Ok then
by Ruzzells / July 1, 2011 3:59 AM PDT

I guess I'll be saving money on that one or wait for a few months, who knows there'll be a new standard for laptops soon.. =P

Collapse -
Panasonics Toughbooks
by orlbuckeye / May 24, 2012 9:33 PM PDT
In reply to: Wow

are designed for Military use, Public safety use (fire and Police depts) and gov code enforcement. They are made for really mobile professions and high temperatures and elements.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.