PC Hardware

General discussion

Which is your favorite hard drive brand and why?

by katkat88 / January 10, 2010 2:46 AM PST

Which is your favorite hard drive brand and why?

Personally I am a avid fan and user of WD so that makes it my favorite brand.

To me, it is reliable and stable. Pricing wise is reasonable.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Which is your favorite hard drive brand and why?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Which is your favorite hard drive brand and why?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
depends
by C_Jones / January 10, 2010 3:59 AM PST

Well I always shop for my computer needs on Newegg. And when it comes time for me to get a hard drive I look at the reviews/storage capacity/price and see what I can get for the best bang for my buck. I always try to stick to WD and Seagate though. Right now I've been using Seagate and I haven't had any problems.

Collapse -
hard drives
by Rickvanwinkle / November 24, 2012 10:34 PM PST
In reply to: depends

I have a pc 3 years old in september. acer that came with an Hatachi 500gb, I added the first week of ownership a Western Digital and 3 years and two months later the Western Digital failed. Even for a back up drive with very little on it I was rather disappointed. It got pretty hot. Ive unplugged it and once it cooled down it ran fine. I put a fan right in front of the hard drive in the case and still shut down every 3 days.

So perhaps Western Digital sold me a fluke of a lemon? Oh, the warrenty expired on the 3 year mark. this p,o,s died exactly 2 months later.

Collapse -
WD
by goldilocks20 / January 13, 2010 7:08 PM PST

I've been using Western Digital. It's reliable and the products i'm using are surpassing my expectations.

Collapse -
I have no brand loyalty.
by ahtoi / January 14, 2010 2:06 AM PST

I buy the one that gives me the best bangs for the bucks. So far..no regret.

Collapse -
Same here... I use to be a bit more picky about HD brands...
by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / January 15, 2010 4:55 AM PST

Today they all are pretty reliable and for me it boils down to cost. Realiablity is really just a matter of luck and if you are unlucky no matter which brand you choose could end up being flaky. But I don't care, hard drive are cheap and as long as I got my data backed up, I have no worries.

Just my 2 cents.
Cheers!

Collapse -
I agree
by sdfins / December 2, 2011 1:56 AM PST

I would have to agree with this statement. As long as you stick to the major brands, it is a matter of luck of the pick from the assembly line. One extra step I sometimes do is google the model number to see if there is a larger than normal amount of complaints for a particular model, so I don't get stuck with a device that has a design flaw.

Collapse -
seagate
by tedtks / January 15, 2010 4:37 PM PST

I have been useing seagate's since - well - so long cant
remember - mid 80's, ''in the begining...'' LOL
the wd's used to be a joke but I 'think' seagate bought them
so by now they should be up to seagate quality.

Collapse -
WD is not Seagate
by comp_dok / January 16, 2010 2:06 AM PST
In reply to: seagate

Seagate bought Maxtor.

Western Digital is still their own company. Their product has improved radically in the last several years, especially with high-performance drives like the Raptor family.

Collapse -
oops
by tedtks / January 16, 2010 5:06 AM PST
In reply to: WD is not Seagate

getting too old - sorry WD.. LOL
I used to love hearing when a drive went down and was
maxtor. made a lot of money installing new seagates.
good ol' error 1701.

Collapse -
Western Digital
by Zouch / January 15, 2010 8:31 PM PST

First choice is always WD, great reliability, performance and longevity at very good prices.

Fallback choices, Hitachi and Samsung for 2.5" drives and Seagate for 3.5" but only when I can't source a WD.

Collapse -
Seagate
by comp_dok / January 16, 2010 2:04 AM PST

More to the point Seagate with 5 year warranty. I've been using these drives for a long time. To get the 5 year warranty one has to purchase enterprise class drives or retail box drives that are labeled "5 year warranty." Seagate also sells drives with 1 and 3 year warranties, mostly into the OEM and external markets.

Maxtor is now owned by Seagate. Still only carries a 3 year warranty on retail packaging..

Collapse -
Seagate
by tallpeak / January 16, 2010 6:04 AM PST

In the last 6 years, I've had two Hitachi, two WD, and two Samsung drives die on me. In their defense, the WD and Samsung drives were over 60 degrees C in a poorly-ventilated case, which is beyond the rated temperature, but I'm placing my bets on my two fairly new Seagate drives for now. I have yet to see a recent Seagate/Maxtor drive die. I think the last bad Seagate I saw was an 80 MB 5.25". (yes, megabyte).

Collapse -
careful
by tedtks / January 16, 2010 6:24 AM PST
In reply to: Seagate

you are dateing us - I bought the newest, fastest
available to increase from 10MB to 20MB

Collapse -
Seagate SCSI/SAS drives
by msgale / January 16, 2010 1:58 PM PST
In reply to: careful

For the past several years I have used nothing but Seagate Cheetah 15K SACI or SAS drives. They have a five year warantee. Note - there are very few high density 15k drives out their

Collapse -
Preferred Western Digital too
by galentoh / January 18, 2010 6:30 PM PST

Like others, I preferred western digital too. I feel that the pricing is reasonable for its stability, reliability, storage space and performance. Moreover I am a avid user of WD products.

Collapse -
Only long life hard drives for me...
by smarr / January 18, 2010 10:33 PM PST

Hands down my answer is Hitachi. I spend the bit higher amount, but in all my computers and all the operatings systems, the ones that live on are Hitachi. WD and all the others die on me in around 1 year or just past it. In fact the last brand new computer I had built one year ago had a WD and in one day it gave me a failure notice! I had the builder purchase a Hitachi and it is still going!

Collapse -
News WD HD with SAS interface
by goldilocks20 / January 19, 2010 3:12 AM PST

Recently I bought a new WD hard drive, the one with the SAS interface and it never disappointed. The WD S25 delivers ultra-high performance with its 3 Gb/s and 6 Gb/s SAS interfaces and a sustained sequential data rate of 128 MB/sec. In addition to all the speed required to service any enterprise need, the WD S25 also provides a 1.6 M hour MTBF rating. I must say I'm impressed.

Collapse -
Samsung Without a Doubt
by bjbinwf / January 22, 2010 9:14 AM PST

I've been building computers for myself and for friends for a dozen years now. I've used practically every brand of hard drive out there. The only brand that has a 100% survival rating is Samsung. I've got several that are 11 years old and still going strong.

Maybe the new WD drives are better, but my failure rate with them used to be quite high. Nowadays Samsung is the only brand I'll put in the computers I build. I have one of the new Samsung 1 TB drives in my newest computer and it is awesome!

Collapse -
I have to vote for Segate
by john3347 / January 22, 2010 9:59 AM PST

In a few more that 20 years, I have experienced two harddrive failures. Both of these were Western Digital Caviar drives. One drive was on a new computer still under warranty and was replaced by the manufacturer. The other was an older drive, of unknown history, salvaged from a discarded computer. That ran for several months after being installed in a pieced together computer before failing. I have heard similar storied from friends concerning WD drives and have not heard such stories concerning Seagate drives. It is for these reasons that I prefer Seagate if that option is available.

Collapse -
I vote for Seagate
by wpgwpg / November 26, 2012 4:25 AM PST

I've had the best experience with Seagate. I've had several WDs to fail, but the Seagates I've worked with seem to hold up better.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.